Driving Outside State Registered Car in Mumbai

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I have just moved from Chandigarh to Mumbai (courtesy transfer on account of promotion). Couple of months back I had bought a new sedan in Chandigarh and am planning to get the same moved here. I've heard that Traffic policemen are very strict on other states registered cars plying on Mumbai roads and one is to re-pay road tax for driving car in Maharashtra.

Point is, its an temporary engagement and I will be moving back to Chandigarh in a year, at max. I certainly want to save on the huge sum of money for additional road tax, at the same time have a peace of mind. Kindly guide what can be done in this case (if there is an option to pay partial road tax, I'll be glad to do the same).

Regards,
Abhey

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I have just moved from Chandigarh to Mumbai (courtesy transfer on account of promotion). Couple of months back I had bought a new sedan in Chandigarh and am planning to get the same moved here. I certainly want to save on the huge sum of money for additional road tax, at the same time have a peace of mind. Kindly guide what can be done in this case (if there is an option to pay partial road tax, I'll be glad to do the same).
Abhey, I will not advise you to bring your car to Mumbai from Chandigarh reason being the traffic of Mumbai is terrible. Distances are too much and travelling all the way with car will be certainly very tiresome. In peak hour traffic it takes anything between 1.5-2 hours to cover a distance of 15-20 km. I have witnessed that for 4 years. There is no end to long traffic jams in Mumbai. I would advise you to use Metro or the local transport. This way neither you have to drive on a daily basis and complete peace of mind too. In Mumbai, the most effective way to travel is by public transport.

Regards

Akash

Yes, I would suggest dont take your car to Mumbai. Traffic police are really strict and wont listen to you unless you bribe them or show them that you are there recently like showing toll tax/petrol bill you got it while journey to Mumbai from CHD(I think upto 3 months its allowed). Also its way too traffic and really annoying to drive in Mumbai. Use public transport, Mumbai has best transportation system in India(In terms of connectivity). Also auto charge you by meter.

Thread Starter #4
Yes, I would suggest dont take your car to Mumbai. Traffic police are really strict and wont listen to you unless you bribe them or show them that you are there recently like showing toll tax/petrol bill you got it while journey to Mumbai from CHD(I think upto 3 months its allowed). Also its way too traffic and really annoying to drive in Mumbai. Use public transport, Mumbai has best transportation system in India(In terms of connectivity). Also auto charge you by meter.
I agree with you on the public transport option and have also given a thought of skipping the car, however as family will be moving with me I need to have a vehicle. Also my office is in Navi Mumbai and I am putting up in Thane, so I'll mostly be commuting through local train only. IMO, the car will be seldom used i.e. on weekends / after dinner drives.

I have also posted another thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/travel-itinerary/23852-patiala-thane-route-assistance.html where in I seek assistance on finalizing the route from Patiala (hometown) to Thane. After going through many blogs on Movers & Packers performance, I have decided to take matters into my own hands. Hope you and Akash1886 can lend a helping hand there as well. Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Abheyjit

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Abhey, From Patiala to Thane, I would suggest you need to come to Gurgaon first i.e NH8 and then till Mumbai, the NH8 shall be your road. As of the packers and movers, they can be a good option provided you too keep a track of their vehicle until it reaches to your place in Thane. Another option could be, booking your stuff by train and then picking it up from the station. As for the car, I would suggest for a year buy a used Nano/Alto for the commute. This will come in price you'll pay for road tax. In Mumbai, weekends begin from Friday night and go on till early Sunday morning. The best day to drive in Mumbai are the Sundays because you'll find very less traffic and it would be fun to drive. Also, If I may say, I hope you own a sedan that has sufficient ground clearance because as you are deputed for almost a year, you might also witness Mumbai monsoons too and mind you, those monsoons are really tough. Water Clogging in Mumbai is much more than in Delhi. Also, roads in Mumbai aren't as wide as Delhi apart from the Sea-link. Also you might have to face potholes as well so make sure your car has good GC.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thane & Navi Mumbai has less traffic compared to Mumbai. Infrastructure is also developed in a good shape in Thane especially on Ghodbunder road. So if you are planning to stay at Thane then driving around Thane on weekends will not be an issue. Traffic will be there on weekdays and at peak hours but its really manageable. [:D] Thane is really very congested around railway station but outer skirts are really nicely developed. I daily commute by my car from Thane to Navi Mumbai. My office is in Navi Mumbai but it is exactly on border of Thane & Navi Mumbai. One way distance is 13 KM which takes 25 minutes in the morning and 35 minutes while coming back to home. However I don't have any idea about road tax and any other legal option. But I had used my "Gujarat" passing car in Thane for 1.5 years and not a single time I was stopped by cop. At that time I was using my car only on weekends. I hope this helps you to take the decision.

Thread Starter #7
Thane & Navi Mumbai has less traffic compared to Mumbai. Infrastructure is also developed in a good shape in Thane especially on Ghodbunder road. So if you are planning to stay at Thane then driving around Thane on weekends will not be an issue. Traffic will be there on weekdays and at peak hours but its really manageable. [:D] Thane is really very congested around railway station but outer skirts are really nicely developed. I daily commute by my car from Thane to Navi Mumbai. My office is in Navi Mumbai but it is exactly on border of Thane & Navi Mumbai. One way distance is 13 KM which takes 25 minutes in the morning and 35 minutes while coming back to home. However I don't have any idea about road tax and any other legal option. But I had used my "Gujarat" passing car in Thane for 1.5 years and not a single time I was stopped by cop. At that time I was using my car only on weekends. I hope this helps you to take the decision.
Thank you so much for the update bhaveshce. I am relieved to hear about the traffic situation between Thane & Navi Mumbai. This gives me further confidence that I might be able to drive car around here. [clap]

Regards,
Abheyjit

@abheyjit there is a provision in R.T.O. that if you can give them paperwork to show your staying tenure. like a contract letter from the employer that you will be staying from this said period to another period you can pay the road tax for that said period and you will be good to go. however if you dont have the paperwork for that in such a case its difficult.

also any state car can roam around in any state for a time period of 30 days after which in case you plan to extend your stay you will have to head to the nearest R.T.O. and repeat the procedure i stated above.

also you need to have a recent petrol or diesel bill where you fueled your car in Chandigarh.

lets say you give the R.T.O your contractual paper for one year and they ask you to pay the tax you will be provided with a form no-3 which is a proof of your payment to the R.T.O. and you are supposed to carry it along with you in the car at all times.
i had got a CH passing car to karnataka so i know the procedure.

hope the info helps.

Thread Starter #9
@abheyjit there is a provision in R.T.O. that if you can give them paperwork to show your staying tenure. like a contract letter from the employer that you will be staying from this said period to another period you can pay the road tax for that said period and you will be good to go. however if you dont have the paperwork for that in such a case its difficult.

also any state car can roam around in any state for a time period of 30 days after which in case you plan to extend your stay you will have to head to the nearest R.T.O. and repeat the procedure i stated above.

also you need to have a recent petrol or diesel bill where you fueled your car in Chandigarh.

lets say you give the R.T.O your contractual paper for one year and they ask you to pay the tax you will be provided with a form no-3 which is a proof of your payment to the R.T.O. and you are supposed to carry it along with you in the car at all times.
i had got a CH passing car to karnataka so i know the procedure.

hope the info helps.
Thank you for this vital piece of info. I'll surely try to procure any such documentation from the company. I, however, have a doubt w.r.t carrying a fuel bill from Chandigarh. Where does that come into picture?

Regards,
Abheyjit

if somebody stops you and you tell them you are in the state of Maharashtra only a few days back then this will come in handy as it will have the fueled date on it. and if its beyond one month than you are definitely entitled to be fined by the them. if not you will be free. hence the diesel/ petrol bill to prove you are only a few days in Maharashtra. That's the law also please keep any ID proof which shows you are a resident of Chandigarh in your car at all time until you pay the local taxes.

Thread Starter #11
if somebody stops you and you tell them you are in the state of Maharashtra only a few days back then this will come in handy as it will have the fueled date on it. and if its beyond one month than you are definitely entitled to be fined by the them. if not you will be free. hence the diesel/ petrol bill to prove you are only a few days in Maharashtra. That's the law also please keep any ID proof which shows you are a resident of Chandigarh in your car at all time until you pay the local taxes.
Understood. Thanks a lot incarnation.[:)]

Regards,
Abheyjit

In this case he can dodge the cops for years together. :stupid:

Its only the NOC which will help if he goes according to the law. It is not a safe bet to bring different state car here. You will always be soft target of cops unless you have a Beamer or similar kind of expensive vehicles.

I agree with you on the public transport option and have also given a thought of skipping the car, however as family will be moving with me I need to have a vehicle. Also my office is in Navi Mumbai and I am putting up in Thane, so I'll mostly be commuting through local train only. IMO, the car will be seldom used i.e. on weekends / after dinner drives.

I have also posted another thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/travel-itinerary/23852-patiala-thane-route-assistance.html where in I seek assistance on finalizing the route from Patiala (hometown) to Thane. After going through many blogs on Movers & Packers performance, I have decided to take matters into my own hands. Hope you and Akash1886 can lend a helping hand there as well. Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Abheyjit
Yes as suggested by bhaveshce infra is good(I m too from Thane only). If you are using ur car for weekends, chances of getting harassed by traffic police are less.

About your trip, yes NH8 is the best route(I did 3 times from Gurgaon to Thane till now and this month end I will be going again by car but this time I m using NH3). There are few places like in Gujarat and Rajasthan you will find one way road but its manageable.

bhvm

Honoured Member
So.. Tons of experts and Tons of answers.
I am bit late to this thread, however the thought that comes to mind is,
Keep the car for weekend trips only. Get an Economy Scooter/Bike for commuting to work in Bombay. Not only you reach faster but also cheaper. Getting a local vehicle means less trouble with cops too.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Abhey, Since you'll be residing in Thane and working in Navi Mumbai so up till that its fine. But if you ever have to travel to Mumbai then be prepared to travel 60 kms one side. Also the road after the Fountain Plaza signal is quite scenic. Also please keep the car's/bike's speed in control and to come to Mumbai, you'll have to pay toll at Dahisar Toll Naka. As my special one is residing in Thane, to be more specific in Vasai so I am pretty conversant with the roads and area of that side.

A small OT point: The Godhbandar Khaadi is where the cell phone roaming starts and signal issue is quite common so communication too could be a issue at times.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Top Bottom