URGENT: What To Do - Shifting From Delhi To Bangalore (Car To Be Taken)

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I have a concern and probably the only place I would get some peace of mind is TAI (as always). I am planning to shift to Bangalore by Sep end or Oct starting. I would like to take my Polo along.

I have few questions on which I need your support:

1. My car is still under HP by SBI bank.
2. I do not want to change my number. (At present Delhi number)
3. How do I get the road worthiness to drive it in Blr.
4. What should be the process ? Mine is a 2014 Petrol (H) model.
5. How much road tax I have to pay without changing the number ?
6. Should I drive it down to Blr from Delhi or send it via carrier service provider. What would be the process of sending it via carrier service provider ?
7. How much road tax I have to pay if my car’s invoice cost is let us say Rs. 6.20 lakhs ?
8. What do you suggest I should check before I start the process of shifting ?

Anything else which you think is important but I am unable to forecast as of now.

Thanks in advance as always. [:)]

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

I have a concern and probably the only place I would get some peace of mind is TAI (as always). I am planning to shift to Bangalore by Sep end or Oct starting. I would like to take my Polo along.

Hey Shailinder how are you doing man !! its been a long time[:)] Though I am not from Bangalore, but will try to answer your queries best of my knowledge as we tried to do something like this earlier for my BIL who lives in Bangalore.

Check with banker, if its possible to transfer your loan to one of the SBI in Bangalore to avoid any future communication issues.
By paying tax in karnataka, the number will be changed. If you carry the same number it will be headache all the time with cops there.
Get a NOC from Delhi, which is normally valid for 6 months where you can drive it freely in Bangalore, but its better to get it re-registered in karnataka
As mentioned above at 3.
Number change is must, you need to check the karnataka rta website to see the present rate of road tax, any of our Bangalore member can help on this
6. Should I drive it down to Blr from Delhi or send it via carrier service provider. What would be the process of sending it via carrier service provider ?
My personal suggestion would be to drive down as the roads are very good now. Its always bit tricky to get the car without any scratch if you transport it and the cost will be higher I hope.
7. How much road tax I have to pay if my car’s invoice cost is let us say Rs. 6.20 lakhs ? answered @ 5
Yes check everything with any of our Bangalore member/local agent

Anything else which you think is important but I am unable to forecast as of now.

Thanks in advance as always. [:)]

My personal suggestion would be, sell the car in Delhi or give it to a relative to use it and buy a seconds/new one in Bangalore till you are there, use it out and sell it off when you are going back[:)] as the KA road tax is very high as I know and process is also not that simple. When we tried for a bike, but got fed off and sold it in Hyderabad.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks bro. Missed all the action here of late. How's life ?[:)]

Well thanks again for the suggestions and I liked the last one " sell off". Well I do not know whether I should sell it off or take her along to Blr.

I would request friends from Blr to suggest real time hurdles I might face once I land there.

Let us keep our fingers crossed and let us see [;)]

RK had given you the info very extensively.The last paragraph is the most important.There is a law in Karnataka which states that the owner have to pay LTT here, if the car is being used for more than 30 days.That will come up to around ~15% of your invoice value and you have to change the number too.The cost will be around Rs.90,000.This can work out,if you can get an NOC from your current RTO and get your tax reimbursed from your Delhi RTO (after registration in Bangalore) .
Next you need to check with your bank,if they can provide an NOC in shifting to Bangalore.If bank says no,then you may not be able to get an NOC from local RTO and hence taking the vehicle to Bangalore also will not be possible.

Last edited:

SBI will allow you to transfer car to Bangalore, you need to contact bank for further details on formalities.

Not changing Delhi number is all right if you are in Bangalore for a short period, but something more than 6 months will be hell in Bangalore with a Dl registration.

If your car is in good running condition then just drive it straight to Bangalore.

Process for what? to Transfer to Bangalore? If yes then apply with your Delhi RTO for NOC and transfer to the given Bangalore RTO where you intend to stay. After you receive NOC and Transfer you need to produce an ID and address proof along with required tax for re-registration. Later you will get a refund of the tax paid previously at Delhi RTO minus the years run in Delhi (upon proof of your car registered in Bangalore) after 3-6 months time.

Without changing DL number you need not pay anything if you intend to travel in Bangalore for a very short time. If for a longer time than you have to transfer and pay tax.

Cheap transport agencies will charge 15000 who may put your car on a lorry, but you have to risk some damage to car, while Agarwal packers and movers will charge you 22000 where they will transport your car in a car cargo container. Generally these people take 10-15 days. Best option is if you are a safe driver on highway, than you can drive it yourself in 3 days max time period.

7. How much road tax I have to pay if my car’s invoice cost is let us say Rs. 6.20 lakhs ?

You may have to pay around 90000 (109000 for full 15 years) for around 13 years in Bangalore while you may get a refund of 45000 (50500 for full 15 years) since 2 years gone. These are approximate figures, please check for exact figures with respective RTO of Delhi as well as Bangalore.

First apply for NOC and transfer to the required Bangalore RTO (where you plan to reside in future). Insurance, PUC to have a valid status. Clear any penalties, challans, etc if any pending on the car else NOC will be rejected. Sometimes the car may have to produced physically if demanded by officials at Delhi RTO. Once you receive NOC and transfer then take it Bangalore and get it registered (you will need a address proof falling in the jurisdiction of the chosen Bangalore RTO.

Application by self for NOC will be a long time so better look for a broker who can get your work done.

Sell it of bro, if you staying more than 2-5 years in Bangalore. Ka road tax is high. When my brother wants to bring his Laura from another state to Hyderabad(Telangana) Rto agent said should pay road tax again for laura road tax was 1.7+ lakhs didn't remember. My brother sold it for good price and bought a Volkswagen jetta in Hyderabad!!.

A. If your Shifting from one city to another your HPA doesn’t effect it. As long as you keep the Reg no Same. If you are changing the Reg No to Karnataka then you need to provide and address change letter to the bank which would contact the local branch in Karnataka and they would provide you with a loan continuation certificate for New Reg No

A. After you pay the KA Road Tax. You will be provided By a form called Form No – 3 which is a proof of your Road tax payment to the Karnataka State Government after that you change the no or you don’t it would not be a concern.

A. After you have paid the road tax there is no one who will harass you as long as other papers such as Insurance, Emmision certificate, Driving License are in order

A. Get your car down to blore once its done you have 30days time to go to the local RTO in blore approach the RTO and state that yopu will be in blore for said time period say 2-3 years or 3-5 years if you do not know the time frame then you will have to pay the tax for entire 15 years. and yes an NOC from Dilli to Said blore RTO is required as stated by others.

5. How much road tax I have to pay without changing the number?
That’s already being answered so will not go into the details.But please keep your original invoice with you as there is a price diff between Blore and your city.

If you like driving then nothing like it. It’s a good drive however even if you drive 10 hours a day its goin to take you 3 days to reach the destination provided you drive 800 kms every day. Or else book it in some cargo and insure it. As while transporting few damages are inevitable

That’s answered already.

Check if your company will refund you the road tax as you are shifting. That’s in case you are employed. If self employed its understood that it will come from your pocket.

My suggestion will be to sell the car and shift and purchase a new car here. If it’s that dearest to you that you cannot part ways then follow the above procedure and will be good to go.

Last edited:

Top Bottom