Transferring Your Vehicle From One State To Other (KA To HR)

Thread Starter #1
***Contains a lot of irrelavant stuff, but this is my experience of:
1. Getting NOC for my car at Bengaluru, KA, and
2. Getting it re-registred at Faridbad, HR.
I've copied this all from my blog: Another Lazy Bicyclist: RTO Stories part-II - moving your vehicle from one state to other - in India (Bengaluru to Faridabad)

Imitating it from "The Pursuit of Happiness" - This part of my life is known as "Getting NOC at RTO KR Puram, Bangalore"

Getting NOC at RTO KR Puram, Bangalore, part-I: submit the papers...

19-Apr-14 Well, the day came rather early. Not even early, but I had not even imagined that it would ever come – that I would be going back to this RTO office again, but then my plans of rest-of-my-life-peacefully-at-Bangalore got culled and I was there!
What documents are required – please refer to KA RTO site - Transport Department :
1. KMV 28, completely filled up – get it from http://rto.kar.nic.in/cmv28.pdf. “Pencil print” of chassis number (under the hood…) – make sure that you do NOT blacken out anything you have written there…free advice– fill the form AFTER you have taken the “pencil print”.
2. RC – photocopy – they will keep the original too.
3. Insurance certificate - photocopy
4. Tax card – photocopy
5. PUC – photocopy
As per the site four copies are required of all this, but I was asked to give only three.

Nothing else – i.e. no current (or future!) address proof, no ID, no DL…nothing else.
Additional, required accessories – could be obtained from friendly RTO neighbourhood Xerox shops for INR 30/- only –
1. A clear plastic pouch – for your RC / smart card – you would be parting away from your beloved card for next few days.
2. A file-cover to keep this all
3. A self-addressed, fully stamped postal envelope
4. A tag to keep all papers from flying away

Well, process is as simple as it could be – arrange it all, go to second floor (Registration department (??), the first room on the left), show the papers to RTO official who sits on the first counter – he will check it and will put his signatures (red pen). He told me that not four, but only three copies of KMV28 are required.

Then go to the next counter (on his right / your left) – the lady there will check your papers again - for me she pulled out one tax card and PUC photocopy from that bunch (that many are not needed, said she…). She would make a register entry, and would give you the receipt. So, here is the magical paper in your hand which could be exchanged with NOC – within 30 days – now…chill mate!

Total time taken – less than half an hour, and that too because I completely forgot the “accessories” – yes, how could I and silly me, yeah! I reached there at around 11, counters were not exactly empty always 1 or 2 people pleading there cases were ahead of me. Man! "Counters were not empty - 1..2.." - this the Bangalore inside me which spoke this!

What next – knows not me, but since I’m here for a few more days, keep watching this space to know what happened next.

Getting NOC at RTO KR Puram, Bangalore, part-II: Wow, this is NOC!
Well, it was kind of tough this time, but I got that eventually! My previous experience was indeed good there, so I visited this place after 15 days...on a bicycle and some random official did tell me that I should not be wearing "clothes like this" in a government office - he was referring to my khaki cycling shorts. Well, that day was a waste - another gentleman did help me by trying to find my documents, but these were simply not there, so I was simply told that police-inquiry is not complete. I went back, and came again a day before my last day in Bangalore and it was the same story. However after my emotional pleading they agreed that if I myself can get that police-report, they will hand me that darn thing. So I was given a letter...and then I saw it- my car's number was not correct there (in the letter written to NRCB (? or was it DCP traffic?) - damm, no wonder nobody could locate the right document on that bare-legs-are-not-allowed-day!

So, I got another letter from them and was asked to try my luck myself. As luck would had it, next day - a Friday was my last working-day in Bangalore, which meant that I could not take that day's off from work! Wow! But my better half came to rescue me - she (and my 5 y/o too...) went to DCP office - the procedure was simple, she gave the letter there, was told to wait for 20 minutes and got the reply back ( a letter that my car's clean / not stolen). But the gentleman there did indeed prove that he has done a wonderful service to humanity and hence a fee needs to paid...stories of few people wasting 10 days of their precious life in that office were told and retold...and in the end that dammed lier was paid a bribe of INR 200/- ! Well, OK, at least I got that police clearance!

Drove to RTO - submitted the letter....and they told me - thank you you can take that on MONDAY. Damm again! This part of my life is called pleading, as usual! Told them that I am traveling tomorrow (Sat) - told them that it was their mistake...told them what they told me earlier ( give us police clearance and we'll give you NOC in 2 minutes...), but the official their insisted that a "procedure" needs to be followed...computer entry needs to be done and what not! Alright - saidth me - can you forward it to my HR/DL address - nopes, came the reply - only RC-walah address...well, as usual I had to plead again and very graciously they allowed a KA address (of a friend ) to be updated there in the reply-envelope.

Well, they did sent it to my friend in a week or so after that through registered post, and finally that NOC (and my RC as well) is in my hands...thank you God - I do thank you (and yes, please do punish that INR 200 bribe-taker at DCP's office...).

Funny thing is that it was the 28th "working" day (huh - yeah, "working"!) on that Friday...they told me that if they don't get police reply in 2 days ( by Monday!) they will have to issue the NOC, but if I want it in "2 minutes" I myself can go to that office. And then when I read that wrong car-number, they did issue me a correct version and started their 30 days' countdown (again...eww). However I was told that if I want NOC in "2 minutes", I can............... These 2 minutes, as I came to know on Friday, were 2 minutes of Monday morning! Best thing about this office is that you never - NEVER, EVER loose the hope. It is a continuous game of being promised repeatedly that all you need is just this one little thing / just one more form / just one affidavit / just one more of xXx...and you'll get it done, duh, in 2 minutes!

[To be continued in the next post, because I could not paste it all in a single post]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Moving your vehcile from one state to other - KA to HR

[Continued from last post - it contains my experience of getting my car registered at FBD]

Part III - this part of my life is known as "Registering vehicle at RTO Faridabad" -
Here too I had to go multiple times - total visits were 6 and I found it open only thrice! Well, it was all due to my mistake and NOT theirs - one was a Saturday, one was a local holiday and once I went there before HR elections - plain bad luck - as all the staff was gone for election duty. I believe if you papers are complete, then it could be done in one day - i.e. before 1 pm of that day, the working horurs. Another visit was by my bro when all he got was a confirmation that papers are good and a list of what documents /forms are required.

Amount of agent-fee, bribe paid - Nill, Zero...nothing.

Get the list of documents here: http://hartrans.gov.in/rc.htm (Edit: the site was working a few days back so I'm not removing it) - https://haryanatransport.gov.in/srservices/vahan/gui/jsp/rtoforms.jsp

Saturday is an off-day at Faridabad RTO, and somebody told me that registration can be done only on Mon/Tue/Wed - not sure as I always went on a Tuesday. But as per the notice-board there it could be done on any day Mon-Fri, 9am to 1 pm.

Cars older than 2010 - non Bharat-IV are not registered....BUT - but - yes, but - later on I came to know that since the vehicle was already registered in NCR before, so this could be done, but I need to bring copies of my old RC - thankfully I had it. But you may need to get an approval from their senior office regarding that.

Faridabad RTO office is located in Sector 12, Mini Secretariat, next to court etc. across the road of HUDA office - first floor of building located here.

Steps:
1. Fill the forms / documents are listed on their site. What I had with me is listed below:
--> NOC, Form 28 - the one stamped by your old RTO
--> Form 20 - Application for registering a new vehicle - make sure that you imprint your chassis number on this form.
---> Form 27 - application for new registration number - you can avoid that if you love your old number!!
---> Identity proof
---> Address proof - two are required. Apparently they don't accept bank's passbook, but that is all depended upon their wish. Both address proof I had were Banks' so they told me to get a photocopy of LPG /Gas connections' book - that was in wife's name, but that was OK with them
--> Car's invoice - to calculate taxes.
--> Report from NCRB - first I was told to get it from KR Puram, Delhi. Bbut I showed them the printout I had from Vahan Samanvay Internet Query. He was kind of OK - said that he would accept this one. (Edit: if above links are not working, go to Welcome to National Crime Records Bureau and look up for "Motor Vehicles" on left ---> General Public).
---> PUC, photocopy
---> Insurance, photocopy
---> Original RC needs to be submitted.
---> Report - printout - from old (KA) RTO site "the confirmation". These days data of all the RTO offices is on-line and on entering vehicle number and chassis number you can see the details....but, unfortunately, KA RTO is still not there. So, I went back with a phtocopy of NCRB report which I got at Bangalore (see above...the one with a bribe of 200/- at Bangalore) and a printout from Bangalore Traffic Police site where you enter the car's number and it tells you if any fine is pending - so it had this message that KA-XX-XXXX has no fine pending against it. He didn't really approve it, but after some pleading, he OKayed it too! I believe this printout (the one he was asking...) could be obtained from BangaloreOne. But yes, if you're yet to move to HR, either search the internet if your RTO-site prints that, or go to the equivalent of BangaloreOne/Sugam etc. and get this. The HR equivalent of this is at https://haryanatransport.gov.in/SRReports/vahan/admin/jsp/welcomeLogin.jsp (Edit: llooks like this site too is changing...till 30-Sep there was a link for "Vehicle Information" between "Home" and "NOC Report", where you could enter vehicle + chassis number to get the complete information).
Edit (yeah again), 6-Jan-2015 - this site is back now Haryana Vehicle Registration Information - Search!

Edit - these days only the RTO (and/or a few registered users/organizations) can see this, so it would be helpful if you could request the RTO folks to do it. All it contains is whatever information you've got on your NOC and nothing extra, but my guess is that they've done it to prevent frauds by cross-checking it on the web. But again, you can't do that, only the registered folks can do it through this site Vahan.Nic.In.

I think somewhere I had read that 4 copies for form 20 and needed, but I was asked to remove everything which is extra and submit only one set of these forms.

2. Prepare a file - you need to buy the file from there itself from the Window at the far end of the corridor of first floor - the one you bring from home won't work. He asked me the purpose of visit and then again if I need form-20 as well. Since I already had it, I was given one 10 Rs. file. I think you can get other forms too from here.

Tag / staple all of your forms in this file. Here too you need to put your RC in a clear plastic pouch and attach it to the file. Official are nice here - they did share their stapler with me. But yes, try equipping yourself with whatever you can (tag, stapler...etc. but not the file) before you go there!

3. Go to Window number 5 of first floor - they will check the list of documents, will scribble down the list on back of a form if something is remaining. Make sure that you get all of these.

4. Get your vehicle inspected - take your car to the place where they take driving test (Sector 12 ground, behind the courts / police station etc. at the oppsite end (...OK, click here). He went through the papers, looked at the car and asked why I'm registering it so late, verified NOC and KA-RC and signed (form 20, page 4). He, then told me to come at 12 to get it stamped.

Get it stamped / signed at the office of SDM - 2nd floor of the building which houses SBI (the other one, and not the one having RTO office)- at 12 o'clock.

5. Go back to Window number 5 - now he checked the docs and asked about NCRB report and asked me to come back with everything later on. It was almost 12:30 and he said that it may be closing soon and it may not be possible to complete now (that day). In hindsight I realize that I should have paid the RTO fee as it would have saved me some money because the next time I was able to go back was around one and a half month. So, if you are going there, try to pay the fee first without going through the charade of document verification....and if you're successful, mail me I'd update this blog to reflect the correct information / procedure.

So, go back to Window #5, with everything - he'll check again, will sign on the cover of file and will instruct you to go to Window #xx where fee is calculated and collected.

6. At Window 4 (?), which is on the left of #5, they'll look up for NOC and invoice to calculate tax. They will give you a print-out with fees and fines listed. My NOC was issues on May 27th and I managed to reach this Window on 22nd November - it meant that I had to pay ~5,000 as tax and ~4,000 as fine for my 2007 model car (cost ~3.5L in 2007).
You can deposit cash too here....so run to ATM and get cash and submit the money here. They'll sign on the same printout they gave you.

7. Go to the room which is behind this Window / computer-room, access through the middle corridor, "cut 120 Rupayee kee parchee".

8. Now go back to Window #5, submit your file there with the two receipts - 120/- + the RTO fee. You'll be told that you'll get it at your home in 10-15 days. No receipt was given, but when I asked how will I drive around without RC, he took the fee receipt from me and signed and stamped it, and wrote valid for <date in one month>. Also written on it was HR51XX-A/F - to indicate that I've applied for an HR51 number (XX - is the current series running these days and NOT actually eks-eks)!

Update on 29-Dec-2014:
9. It didn't come to home - I was told after I went there - because it does NOT and you need to collect it yourself. Alright - I'm back. Now go to Window#5, get the vehicle-number - the gentleman there would write it on your original receipt and then

10. go to lamination / courier window (near to the stair-case), present it (your receipt with the vehicle-number) there and the gentlemen on that counter will search it in a stack of all the cards they've got. In my case I did get the number, but -unfortunately - the RC was not there. I was told that it could be somewhere there in the files and was asked to come back after a week. No - it won't come to my home; I would need to show up myself. It turned out that due to the lack of "confirmation" (see above) my RC was not issued to me. A little bit of pleading and yes, showing up sites on my smartphone to prove that it cannot be done through web was helpful. It turned out that only they can see the confirmation through their own departmental logon ID, which was then done promptly for me and I've been asked to come in a couple of days to collect my RC.

I went there on 5th or so as well, but they told me that due to the shortage of lamination raw material they are not printing it , and that I shall come again after 15th.

Update on 19-Jan-2015....wait ended!
All it took was 5 minutes - go to the dispatch / courier Window, show your receipt and the gentleman there gave me my car's RC in flat 5 minutes! Wow! Now I'll work towards getting my money refunded from KR Puram RTO.

Links are here:
--> Road Tax / Fees: https://vahan.hry.nic.in/srservices/vahan/gui/jsp/taxesandfees.jsp
--> Get all the forms here: https://vahan.hry.nic.in/srservices/vahan/gui/jsp/rtoforms.jsp

This part of my life is known as "Getting refund from RTO KR Puram"...join me in praying, dear God...
I've sent them (RTO KR Puram) a registered letter - an application form-16 and almost everything else...address proofs, RC photo-copies....NCRB reports - of both KA/HR numbers, and yes, a self-addressed, stamped envelope as well. Have not heard anything from them, would like to wait for the magic number of 3 months before writing again.

Took time to read and process is seriously tedious. I would better sell my car and buy a new one in my place! I always registered my cars from my native to avoid these kinda hassles at later time. Wish you luck in getting refund from RTO KR Puram!

Thread Starter #4

[Continued from last post - it contains my experience of getting my car registered at FBD]
10 days back - I got a letter from RTO KR Puram that I need to submit the CRTI report. Basically the letter was for RTO Faridbad, but sent to me with the advise in note part that I should go and get CRIT report. Wonderful, methinks - they could / should have sent the letter to RTO FBD directly!

But even then I - alright my brother - went there with letter, equipped with original HR RC and other papers (which we carry while driving) as well. As usual they objected - asked for NOC - yes, the one which is already submitted to them! Arguing, or in fact, pleading didn't help, but luckily I had one photograph on this damm thing on my phone, which I sent to my brother and on seeing that photo they not only accepted it (!!), but allowed him to get the HR tax reciept present in my "file" there to be photocopied as well. Since it was alrady near 1PM, they had to leave for lunch and my brother had to salvage his remainder of the leave. They did indeed write a letter, but couldn't get signed from the authorized person, so I need to go back to get the CRIT thing. Also, this letter is in hindi, and I might have to motivate them to write it in the queen's favourite language!

+ This one is a simple, handwritten note that my vehicle KAxx has been re-registered as HRxx after depositing a tax of Rs.XX - isn't that information already available on RTO's interanet? Do you know of any particular format / piece of information which could be included in "CRTI"...something else so that it doesn't boomrangs again?

Thread Starter #5

10 days back - I got a letter from RTO KR Puram ...
In short: Got CRTI information from my HR RTO, would be sending it to KA RTO tomorrow. They kept the original KA letter and gave us a signed/stamped document- a letter from HR RTO to KA RTO, the format / wordings of which I would share here later on. Total number of trips – 4.

TL/DR:
So, the CRTI request came from RTO Bangalore - they sent it to me - it kinda asked RTO FBD to send this information to them, so I - my whole family in fact - was back on mission. The first note they wrote was on the back of that KA letter, but in Hindi, so I went back with the printout of an English translation...but this was not the way a sarkar would write - mine was a simple application, so they told me to reformat / re-arrange it...it was Saturday and thy had to come due to a minister's visit...I asked if I can come again in 5 minutes with printout, but no, it was a no-bizniss day. But yes, they did tell me which bit to be put at which place - with all the boxes and arrows marked on my version of application.

Alright - I went back before 1 pm on a Monday morning, but all the mes before one are busy times; they sit in e-disha counter which is a busy place humming with people with dreams of a licensed motor-drive, so I had to go there. My version of an official letter was rejected again - sarkar doesn't put any date in their letters, and I had not written "presahk" and "yadi" - yes, the "sender" and "if" in Hindi - yes, they require this to be printed in Hindi...and alignment of a one of the part was still wrong. Since it was a busy day and place, I was told to come back after 2 pm. I couldn't go back on that day, but after reaching home I got some 8 combinations of if/yadi/preshak/sender with left and right alignment printed...at least one of them has to be right! And yes, I had to give a series of mini-lectures - one on each window - on why a letter written in Hindi may not work on the South of Vindhyas.

Yesterday my lucky charm - my better half - went there, with my Father and bro's brother-in-law (one to carry that 2 kg of raddi-paper and one with instructions to quickly run and get all the potential photo-copies and/or print-outs), they took 'some time' to examine it and then decided that it would be safe to sign and stamp one of those letter-formats. Just as he was going to hand it over to my wife, the proverbial tube-light flickered again - he had to had that KA letter on the basis of which he was signing this grand letter...so he asked for the original KA letter. It was gladly handed over to that gentleman, and probably it was the last of those 20Rs. for parking we ever gave in RTO office…probably!

Thread Starter #8
V - as in victory...all the efforts paid off!

I got a call from RTO KR Puram yesterday, in the evening, after 7pm - a gentleman on the phone informed me that my refund application has been accepted, and I'll be sent a cheque of the refund amount at my HR address. He confirmed my address, and informed me further that it would be a non-CTS cheque, for which I might need to contact my bank's manager etc.

Wow! I did thank him, and yes, through this forum too I'm saying again, "Thank you, RTO KR Puram!".

Now coming to complain part - adding it in a separate, new reply.

Only thing which I don't like is that I was expecting some more money. I'll be getting back some 18k or so. At that time I paid something around 32k-taxes+8k fine (late by a year)+3k cess for LTT for remaining 10 years of life of my vehicle. I lived there for 2 years and then HR registration + refund process took a year again. So for two or even three years, I think this much deduction is not right!

Maybe they can now do away with this whole system which restricts car registration etc. to a single state - no idea how - rationalize or centralize tax structure etc. or alternatively, provide us a way to pay the road-taxes on yearly bases...I wish!

Here're some application forms / letter templates which I wrote...you could use it after changing all the XXX's. It has got:
1. Letter to KA RTO - the refund-request. The "encl" list is interesting! Even after fifteen I managed to miss one - the CRTI report!
2. CRTI report format - this one is in the format suggested at HR RTO, and apparently it was received well at KA as well!
3. The letter to KA which I sent with CRTI report.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #9
7th August 2015
Surprise, surprise - mailman came and delivered a letter - a registered one from RTO KR Puram. It contains a cheque for 18.5k, and an A4 sized print out in 36-fonts telling me that I should contact the branch manager of my back so that he could send this non-CTS cheque to State Bank of Mysore, Bangalore branch. Did as I was directed and now waiting for the actual cash to show up, which could take around 20 to 30 days - I've been informed!

Hello, if I transfer my car from one state to another, I have to pay road tax again in the new state. But do I get refund of tax from the previous state ? If yes what is the process to apply for refund ? Please advise.

Top Bottom