Hypothetical But Relevant. Taxes and Stuff on New Cars

Thread Starter #1
This is a hypothetical question!(Please note: some were asked during a student discussion.)

1)Since Taxes in Karnataka State is the highest why is it so?
2)Does On road price include Income tax?
3)luxury cars of 50lakhs and above sold by international dealers like BMW,AUDI,PORSCHE etc.. do they cover the price for entire process of all taxes and registration when buying new cars?
4)Very hypothetical: since a friend of mine in UK won a car,
if it happens in india: Incase of Payment for any luxury cars of 80lakhs+ is paid for by the sponsors of the competition inclusive of all registration and road tax(considering only luxury brands).Is there any other taxes needed to pay by the winner?[frustration].....

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Hypothetical but relevant.Taxes and stuff on new cars.

No, dealer doesn't charge income tax from buyers. However, any major new purchase like Car, Land, or House is to be declared in IT Returns.

if it happens in india: Incase of Payment for any luxury cars of 80lakhs+ is paid for by the sponsors of the competition inclusive of all registration and road tax(considering only luxury brands).Is there any other taxes needed to pay by the winner?
Apparently not. But yes, this needs to be declared as an Asset in the IT return.

Regards

Akash

Re: Hypothetical but relevant.Taxes and stuff on new cars.

My Answers:
  1. They feel it is one of the easiest means to collect funds (to mismanage Govt).
  2. No.
  3. Ex-show room prices --- NO
    On-Road Prices --- YES
  4. I am not that much knowledgeable on this. Whatever little K I have, someone HAS to pay the Import Duty for the car. If it is a gift, the receiver pays Gift Tax. A member with Fin background will be able to throw more light on this.

This is a hypothetical question!(Please note: some were asked during a student discussion.)

1)Since Taxes in Karnataka State is the highest why is it so?
3)luxury cars of 50lakhs and above sold by international dealers like BMW,AUDI,PORSCHE etc.. do they cover the price for entire process of all taxes and registration when buying new cars?
if it happens in india: Incase of Payment for any luxury cars of 80lakhs+ is paid for by the sponsors of the competition inclusive of all registration and road tax(considering only luxury brands).Is there any other taxes needed to pay by the winner
1) Its purely a state government's decision. The reason told is Karnataka have invested a lot on the roads and other related infrastructure.
Unfortunately the fact is many roads are in very pathetic condition.
2) No. But as the amount is flown in through bank accounts there the income tax part will be taken care according to the type of account (fixed/ savings).
3) Generally car dealers will do the registration and road tax payment on behalf of the owner, but it will not be included in the car price.
They will mention it separately as "Registration charges".
4) Even if the registration, road tax etc are taken care by the gift sponsor the winner will have to pay an income tax of 30.8% of the total value as of today.
The tax on his other incomes (salary etc) will remain same as before. If the car is sold then the amount need to be shown as 'Income from other sources' in the ITR filing, and the income tax will be levied for it.

Top Bottom