Should Gear Locks Be Made Mandatory To OEM By Insurance Agencies?

Should Gear Locks be made a standard fitment by Insurance Agencies?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

Recently after interacting with number of car dealers for my new car purchase in Noida and Delhi, I have been told that gear lock is an "additional" fitment to the car that is done at an applicable cost. However, an SA at a dealership in Noida told that there are cities in NCR like Faridabad where the insurance policy for a new car is generated only if it comes with a gear lock.

This actually is a very good move in ensuring that the customer buys a car well equipped with security features but why is it subjective? Shouldn't this gear lock be made as a standard fitment to issue the insurance right from day one?

I firmly believe that gear lock should not be charged as an accessory rather it should be a necessity to be given by all car brands as an OEM fitment.

In this way, the dealerships won't charge ad-hoc prices and it will help in reduction of claims at insurance provider's end for vehicle theft.

Please share your insights on the same.

Regards

Akash

Friends,
This actually is a very good move in ensuring that the customer buys a car well equipped with security features but why is it subjective? Shouldn't this gear lock be made as a standard fitment to issue the insurance right from day one?
Modern car thieves are able to bypass even the hi-tech RIFD based securities by changing the ECUs and fleeing with cars with matching keys.

These Gear locks et all are things of the past. Deterrent? Of course yes.

Somehow I think its a chance for the insurance companies to reject a claim. They making this mandatory means they consider it as a foolproof security method. If your cars gets stolen they will come back and say you didn't use the lock irrespective of if you actually did or not. You can't prove it that you did.

However, an SA at a dealership in Noida told that there are cities in NCR like Faridabad where the insurance policy for a new car is generated only if it comes with a gear lock.
Which car comes with OEM gear lock?? & why such policy only for cities in NCR? do car get stolen only in NCR area?

Somehow I think its a chance for the insurance companies to reject a claim. They making this mandatory means they consider it as a foolproof security method. If your cars gets stolen they will come back and say you didn't use the lock irrespective of if you actually did or not. You can't prove it that you did.
I agree to this. Any policy decision of Insurance company is not to help the customers, but to maximize their profit.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Which car comes with OEM gear lock?? & why such policy only for cities in NCR? do car get stolen only in NCR area?
At present no OEM is giving a gear lock as a standard fitment I agree. However, the gentleman told me that in Faridabad, if the car does not have a gear lock in place prior to applying for an insurance then the policy will not be generated.

It was a news to me too but then I felt it was a good initiative and should be implemented all over the country.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom