RTO : Transfer Old Car Number To New Car

Thread Starter #1
Off-late I came across some images of modern cars which had number plates issued decades ago. I was wondering how could it be possible. I didn't find much information.

I would like to know if it is possible to do the same on bikes ?

What are the procedures ? How much would it cost ?

Any other leads on this information would be helpful.

Some information what I got from Internet.
The Ministry of Road Transport has issued an advisory issued to all state governments with direction that a person can retain the same combination of letters and numbers if he/ she wish to do so.

As per the advisory of the Transport Ministry of India, if someone sells his car to a buyer, the seller can retain the old registration number and the buyer will have to apply for a new number for the same car. In the owner wants to scrap the old vehicle, owner will have to present the record before the local RTO, then only one can use the same number for a new vehicle. The charges for the same will be nominal, but it will be at RTO’s discretion to accept or reject the transfer of the old registration number to a new vehicle.

OMG..we had a Amby with TN57 5859. We sold it and i didnt know we could keep the number. BTW can we get it back (but i think it is registered with someone) now?

Top Bottom