Help With Consumable Items in Zero Dep Insurance Claim

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Need your advice regarding an insurance claim for my car. I unforuntately was a in the middle of a chain collision in which 5 cars bumped into each other as one of the vehicles in front braked suddenly. Fortunately no one was hurt but the damage to my car was significant (both front and rear). I have zero dep insurance and got the claim registered and survey was completed. The insurance company is mentioning certain exclusions related to consumable parts and others like engine coolant, A/C gas charging, etc. Now when i had purchased the policy i had specifically asked for consumables to be covered and even my policy doesnt mention any specific exclusions as such. Still the insurance company is claiming that i pay for these other expenses. The list is as follows:

Total approx cost: 70000. Break up of my share = 7322/-

1) workshop consumable = 800/-

2) insurance claim charges = 1000/-

3) dep on paint 8% wct = 1306/

4) consumable parts = 800/-

5) a/c gas charging = 1516/-

6) coolant charges = 1400/-

7) number plate = 500/-

I would like advice from fellow members on how to take this forward. Aren't these things normally covered in a Zero dep policy? If not then how do i convince and contest the insurance company over this?

Item nos 2,5,6,7 Definitely you have to pay the bill for them as these are not considered in any claims.
Explain 1,4. Out of this only one needs to be given and this can be reduced to 200.
No 3 ,you must not pay as yours is a zero depreciation policy.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply generalmax. A rough description as conveyed to me by the workshop is as follows:

1. Workshop consumables: Items used for repairs like car cover, lubricants etc.
4. Consumable parts: Parts like nut, bolts, clips etc
5. The coolant actually need not be replaced but the workshop engineer said that once the coolant is removed from the engine (which is necessary to do the repair work) it cannot be reused. The insurance company is saying that as the coolant need not be replaced, they will not pay for it.

Also, regarding points 5, 6, 7 is it that no insurance company covers this in general? I have checked my 14 pager policy document and nowhere are such items mentioned as exclusions when such things are normally mentioned in the fine print in such documents. After all the need for replacing these was due to the accident and hence as per me this must be covered in the policy itself.

Also, regarding points 5, 6, 7 is it that no insurance company covers this in general? I have checked my 14 pager policy document and nowhere are such items mentioned as exclusions when such things are normally mentioned in the fine print in such documents. After all the need for replacing these was due to the accident and hence as per me this must be covered in the policy itself.
The points in 5 ,6,7 will never come in insurance because these comes under periodic maintenance and if the insurance company starts paying for these they will be doomed.

Try your luck with the surveyor. He may take it in good spirit.

Top Bottom