Getting a Driving License in Delhi

Thread Starter #1
I had a driving license that was issued to me long ago. It had expired and I needed to get it renewed or get a new license. As this license was issued to me from my home state, getting this renewed would have been very cumbersome process. First, I was to get this renewed from my home state, then I would have to get it transferred to Delhi.

So, I decided the simple method. Get a new license.

Now, in Delhi or elsewhere in India, you can get the license in the following three ways:
1. Get a dalal (broker), pay him some 2-3 thousand and everything is done. No hassles, no frequent visits to RTO, no need to perfect your driving, even no need to know the driving in some RTOs.
2. Get someone who can exert his influence on the Transport Department officials or is known to them and can get your work done. This is cheaper as you are required to pay only the fees but you come under an obligation and moreover, it is not always feasible that you know someone who knows someone at RTO.
3. Go to RTO. Appear in the test for learner’s license. Pass it. Appear in the driving test. Pass it. If you fail at any stage, appear again. You should have knowledge of every form, every step etc. Be prepared to face government system which is assumed to be slow, filled with hassles, time consuming etc.

I had all of these options open with me. First of all, one of my colleagues said that he knew a broker who would charge around Rs. 2000 and you would get your license, no hassles. He said that he himself got one although he had never laid his hands on the steering wheel of a car, leave alone driving it. Initially, I was inclined towards this idea more so because I did not have any car with me at that time, so this seemed to be a good option.
Later on, another colleague came to know about this and he said –
“Why to pay broker, I know someone who is in the office that audits this Transport Department. I will ask him to do this for you”

Good, I thought. So, I waited. After some days, he, true to his words, brought the phone number of such an officer. So, it was not much an issue getting license through this method. But somehow, I was not comfortable with this idea. Don’t know why?

I continued delaying this matter. Meanwhile, I came to know that one of the RTOs was located near to my office. So, I decided that let’s try at least for learner’s license.

Round 1: So, one fine day in September last year, I went to RTO at Indraprastha (located just near the Indraprastha metro station) with a form duly filled in for the learner’s license. There, at the main gate of the RTO, was a notice specifying that the office was closed due to renovation work being carried out. Notice had some phone numbers on it. A chowkidar there informed that the office would be functional in 3-4 days. He further informed that for getting a license, any other RTO could be approached. But I decided to come back after some days and returned back.

Round 2: After a gap of around one week, I again reached the RTO which was now open. There were only few people, it being early time. I submitted my form at one of the counters. This was summarily checked and I was directed towards the next counter where I paid fees (60 Rs.) for two categories (two wheeler and four wheeler). On third counter, my photo, signature and finger prints were taken (all digital) and fourth counter did something that I do not remember but while I was at this counter, I noticed something for which I was not prepared. This was computer test. One prospective driver was taking this test and then a message flashed on his screen in Hindi –
Sorry, you have failed.

Oh, I thought. This was something I did not prepare for although I had downloaded the pdf file from the Transport Department’s site containing practice questions some time ago. I had forgotten about that file. While I was thinking over it, person at the fourth counter directed me towards an officer in adjoining cabin. This serious looking officer opened a random page in a diary on his table and asked me to tell the number on that page. I realized that I was being checked for colour blindness. I identified the first number, then he opened another page and then one more, all of them being correctly identified by me.

Now the candidate i.e. me, was instructed to sit for the computer test.

“How many questions I am to clear?” I asked the assistant who started the test.
“6 questions out of a total of 10” he replied and sat besides me, probably anticipating another failure.

I started the test. First question flashed and I realized that I knew the answer based on the common sense that you expect from a disciplined driver. Then second, third and so on. I touched the required passing marks by correctly answering all the first six questions themselves. The assistant exclaimed to his boss –
“pahle 6 hi sahi kar diye.” (he cleared all the first 6 questions)

The serious looking officer remained serious, no change on his face. Looked at me in a sense that I could not understand and then he wrote down something on my form. Smashed the keys of his computer’s keyboard and came out a paper from his printer. He flashed it to me and I looked at it. It had a heading:

Learner’s License
Valid from xx.09.2013 to xx.03.2014

It was so fast that I asked the assistant while coming out of the office:
“Is this the learner’s license?”
“Yes” was his crisp reply.

I stepped out of the office and looked at the watch. It was 9.45 am. I had entered there at 9.25 am. In 20 minutes, I got the learner’s license. Who says the government system is lethargic?

But I was cautioned by my boss later that day:
“They create troubles when you go for permanent license.”
Time went on and I did nothing to get the permanent license as it required a car for the test and I had none. Moreover, I had time up to March 2014 to convert my learning license into permanent license.

Came December and I got a car. But still did nothing being a lazy person. Soon, it was February end and I had to do something. Took a print out of form for permanent license and again reached Indraprastha RTO.

Round 3: This time –
First Counter – checked my form, asked me to put the vehicle number which I intended to use for test
Second counter – payment of 300 Rs.
Third counter – took my digital finger print

Sent to the same serious looking officer who told me to be ready with the vehicle. He said that he would be coming in 10 minutes. I came out. My number for this test was second. Soon, (in 5 minutes), an Inspector came and the first candidate started his test. Test was simple or it looked so. Candidate was required to drive his car in a straight line (around 20 meters, yes just that) and then reverse it. Now, the difficult part (that I realized later) was the reversing because of the narrowness of the track.

The first driver went straight, no problem. But returning, he hit one of the barriers. I smiled, so easy thing he could not do? When that guy came back reversing, the Inspector told him –
“ek aur mauka de raha hoon, agar nahi hua to fail…”
(I am giving you one more chance. If you are unable to do, you will be treated as fail)
He again went and this time, came back, with some difficulties but without hitting the barriers.

Now was my turn. I went ahead but while returning I realized that it was not that easy. However, I continued patiently and reversed the car. The inspector wrote something on my form and handed it to me. I knew I cleared the test. Just then, a man in army uniform, approached me and requested:
“Can you please lend me your car for the test. I have brought my motor cycle for the test but also needs to clear the car test as I have applied for both the categories.”

It being a saturday, I had plenty of time. So, decided to help him and wait there. He claimed to be a seasoned driver but still requested for a small brief on starting the car, gears etc. which I provided. Then I went inside to the officer. He took my form and asked –
“license for LMV only?”

I realized that I had applied for license for two categories i.e. two wheeler (Motor Cycle with gear) and four wheeler (light motor vehicle) but gave the test for only car. So, I needed the motor cycle. And the army man flashed in my mind. I asked him for his motorcycle and he immediately agreed but also told me one thing-
“It is army motor cycle”. This meant it had registration number for army vehicles. How could I officially use army motor cycle as I was supposed to enter its number in my form. I looked for someone else having a motorcycle. None was there. And moreover, I was not much interested in two wheeler license as I could add that anytime later. So, decided to get license only for car and gave my form to the officer who took it and said-
“You will get it by post.”

I came out. Meanwhile, the experienced driver i.e. the army man was ready to appear for the test in my Brio. As I expected, he hit the barriers while reversing, not one or two but all three. The Inspector immediately declared him fail.
“Tumne seat belt bhi nahin laga rakhi thee.”
(You did not fasten seat belt also)

The seasoned driver was looking perplexed and was talking to the Inspector for his motor cycle test when I started from there to my home.
It was 22nd February. On 25th February, I got my license by post.

Some points:
1. I recommend straight method of getting the license. Do it yourself if you know how to drive. Do not get the license if you do not know driving as that will put your as well other’s life to risk.
2. Download the PDF file containing practice questions from Delhi Transport Department’s site and practice it well.
3. Go with attested copies of documents as well as original documents in case someone wants to check them.
4. Put ‘L’ on both the windscreens of the car before driving test.
5. Have seat belts fastened for the test.
6. While reversing, do not take your head out of the window or turn your head backwards but keep in the straight line using all the 3 rear view mirrors.
7. Time for public dealing starts at 8.30 AM. Try to be there by 9 AM to avoid being in queue.
8. If you are applying for both the categories i.e. two and four wheeler, take both the vehicles at the RTO with the help of someone for driving test. Otherwise, you can get license for one category and then get another category added later on.

Last edited:
Nice post Nitin
Recently my relative got his license. He simply cleared test for learning and while permanent was driving Honda City the inspector looked with astonishment as he was only one with a sedan, everyone had hatchback. He reversed perfectly, Better then hatchback driver.
He also passed 6 Questions in 2 mins.

While practice day before he smashed rear and was repaired after test.

yes i am in a similar situation. i have driving license of thailand but that would not work here so i need another license in Delhi. can you kindly explain what all documents are needed and all the proofs needed? i will be going to jankpuri RTO as it is nearest to Dwarka.

Thread Starter #5
You will be required to get learning license first. For learning license, you need to have attested copies of -
i) Address Proof
ii) Identity Proof
iii) Age Proof

What are accepted as address/identity proofs are detailed on the site of Transport Department. In addition to these, you need form 1 and form 3 duly filled in along with a fee of Rs. 30 per category (i.e. 30 for 2-wheeler and 30 for car).

The forms mentioned above and other details are here -
Transport

Once you clear this process, you may appear for driving test for permanent license after a minimum gap of one month of getting your learning license but not later than 6 months.

You will be required to get learning license first. For learning license, you need to have attested copies of -
i) Address Proof
ii) Identity Proof
iii) Age Proof

What are accepted as address/identity proofs are detailed on the site of Transport Department. In addition to these, you need form 1 and form 3 duly filled in along with a fee of Rs. 30 per category (i.e. 30 for 2-wheeler and 30 for car).

The forms mentioned above and other details are here -
Transport

Once you clear this process, you may appear for driving test for permanent license after a minimum gap of one month of getting your learning license but not later than 6 months.

thanks a lot for this information. i guess i already have the required proofs needed. i shall go ahead sometime soon to get it made.

and thus i have passed the learners driving test which didnt involve any driving. tomorow i have go to janakpuri rto to pick up my learner's license... today i reached at 10 (my mistake i know) and face a line of an hour just to submit. once submitted, its a smooth process for finger print and photo then data entry in their system then finally the test itself. all done in 40 minutes after the submission. i got a receipt that i need to pick up the license tomorow between 2-3 p.m

Thread Starter #8
Good. In my case, I was delivered learning license then and there, immediately after I passed the computer test.

Top Bottom