NCB Transfer To a Pre-owned Car!

Thread Starter #1
Long post ahead!!!
Normally we transfer NCB to a new car from an old car ,but what will happen if you transfer an NCB from an old car to another car which had a claim history?
[confused] !!!!
OK The story goes like this .My friend had an Alto which he sold off and got an NCB certificate for 50% since he never had an accident with the car.Later on he bought a pre owned Swift .He transferred all papers to his name .After some months it was time for the renewal of Swifts insurance.He went through policybazar.com and renewed it giving all the papers (scanned).Here the 50% NCB was transferred to the pre owned Swift .
The twist comes in after a month where the GIC says that the NSB transfer cannot happen as there is a claim in the insurance and pay the NCB amount ASAP.
After hours talking to call center people he got the following replies
1)An Alto car NCB cannot be transferred to Swift (hilarious)
2)You cannot transfer your NCB to a pre owned car (wow)
3)Your insurance company had reported a claim in your name(great)
4)You must contact the policy serving office (where ? in Delhi !!!)
5)Sorry sir,I dont know (great).
[frustration]
Here he comes to me for help.
Called up the local Insurance office and cleared up the thing. The issue was the pre owned car had a claim in the month of march where in the month of May the vehicle was transferred to my friend.
The policy bazar people had not shown the NCB document where it says that the customer is entitled to get the NCB as the car mentioning here is the swift.
Got to know some information from this episode.
1)Do not go for online renewals when you have complexity involved
2)Customer support people are not experts (the other end of the phone)
3)A person is not entitled for NCB if he had a claim on a car even if he have an NCB letter from other company (experts speak on this!)
4)GIC have lots of rules to stop a person from getting his NCB transferred.

Re: NCB Transfer to a pre owned car!

There is a dedicated insurance thread for your query.

A person is not entitled for NCB if he had a claim on a car even if he have an NCB letter from other company (experts speak on this!) - This is not correct IMO. The NCB belongs to the owner and not the car. If the previous owner had made some claim, I can still transfer my NCB to that car.

Why he did not get the new insurance from same co where he had Alto insurance?

Thread Starter #3

There is a dedicated insurance thread for your query.

A person is not entitled for NCB if he had a claim on a car even if he have an NCB letter from other company (experts speak on this!) - This is not correct IMO. The NCB belongs to the owner and not the car. If the previous owner had made some claim, I can still transfer my NCB to that car.

Why he did not get the new insurance from same co where he had Alto insurance?
Yes ,we know that if one have an NCB letter then he is eligible for that NCB.But the insurance company is saying if he made a claim with the new/pre owned car and claimed it in the existing policy (all these are before renewal) then he is not eligible for the NCB while renewing. This is the crux !

The solution was to get a letter from the previous insurer that after transfer of RC and insurance there was no claim on this vehicle. The issue faced was more at policy bazar.com and then at the Reliance call center where people sitting on desk had no idea of NCB and renewal..

Alto was with Reliance general insurance (NCB from here)
pre owned Swift was with Tata AIG ( transfered to the new owners name,but claimed by the previous owner before transfer)
Renewed with Reliance General Insurance (through policybazar.com).

So basically he had gone to the same insurer.
He had never had an insurance claim in his entire life .

Do you mean to say that the previous owner made a claim via his TATA AIG ? or Your friend made a claim via TATA AIG after transfer of RC/Insurance ?

Thread Starter #5

The previous owner made the claim. So the new owner (my friend) didn't make any claims.

Top Bottom