Too Much Trouble After Selling My Bike. Help!

Thread Starter #1
First off all, if its in the wrong section. Move it to correct section.

Hi,
So I sold my bike last year to someone in a different state.
I am from Jharkhand and sold it to someone in Orissa. [frustration]

I sold it last year in August so now its like more than 15 months and still my paperwork hasnt been done.

I gave it to a agent for Rs.2200 (NOC and Ownership transfer). He took so much time like 15 months and still no use.

I finally took the papers from him and now i wanna do it myself since he was taking too much time. [cry]

I talked to one more agent and he said 3500 rs so I thought its better to do it myself.

So, anyone experienced help me. What papers I need and whats the process and whats the FEE to do it.?

My bike was Pulsar 220. I just need the ownership changed to the buyers name and I guess NOC is needed too. [confused]

Hi Shubhi Hope this helps you.
1.Get forms 28/29/30 signed.
2.Get an NOC from the local police station (Ranchi).
3.Submit all the papers duly at Orissa RTO after getting the vehicle's PUC certificate.
4.You'll need to clear commercial tax at Orissa ( Not sure about this part )
5.Orissa RTO will send all these papers to Ranchi RTO for verification.
6.Once the verification is done, papers get back to Orissa RTO. You will have to pay the road tax for Orissa. It’s really a pain.

Also ask that guy to get a new registration number.

Good Luck.

Thread Starter #4
Hi Shubhi Hope this helps you.
1.Get forms 28/29/30 signed.
2.Get an NOC from the local police station (Ranchi).
3.Submit all the papers duly at Orissa RTO after getting the vehicle's PUC certificate.
4.You'll need to clear commercial tax at Orissa ( Not sure about this part )
5.Orissa RTO will send all these papers to Ranchi RTO for verification.
6.Once the verification is done, papers get back to Orissa RTO. You will have to pay the road tax for Orissa. It’s really a pain.

Also ask that guy to get a new registration number.

Good Luck.
Sir, I thought we have to submit everything at Ranchi RTO only? [confused]
Thats where I submitted it at first place.

So, I should only get NOC from Ranchi? and whats the fee of NOC and which form?
Also where does the ownership change thing happens? in Orissa? since he is the buyer.

And since the buyer is from Orissa, I will send him documents and he will get it done right?

I only should do NOC and send to him?

Last edited:
@Shubhi

Everything looks to me happening in a reverse way. Once you sold your vehicle, then it is the buyers responsibility to do all the procedure of transfer as you do not have any role to play here. You just need to sign the required forms and give it to him to get this done.

BUT, many cases the buyers doesn't care to get the vehicle transfered on their name and finally the effects of his misuse will be on seller.

I just narrate a small story here for your understanding. My BIL sold his bike to one our cousin and signed and gave papers to him. Later on my cousin never bothered to change the ownership as the bike was being used in the same city and was using the bike for his business purpose. One fine day one of his office person took the bike and met with an accident and unfortunately a girl died hit with this bike, then it is a criminal case on that office person and to our surprise, my BIL received a notice of compensation from the girls lawyer. Then starts a real painful story, now my cousin not bothered to resolve this as his name is not there anywhere on the papers and my BIL says how he is responsible when he already sold the bike. The thing is the insurance got expired and a case is going on in court on my BIL and lot of fighting within our relatives between my cousin and BIL.

So the moral of the story is when you sell your bike or car, take in written from the buyer that you are handing over all the original documents to him along with the required forms for tranfer, hence he is solely responsible to get the tranfer done on his name within some mutually agreed period, otherwise you will file a complaint in respective your state RTO in this regard.

I sold my bike in similar fashion in a exchange with a guy sitting in a suzuki showroom, but he never bothered to change the ownership, then I visited my respected RTO and given a complaint to this effect and kept a signed and stamped copy of such complaint for my future safety.

Now insist the buyer to get it changed on his name, other wise simply file a complaint at your RTO and get a copy of the same signed and stamped by them and keep quite. I am sure he will be fined some where for driving the bike without obtaining the NOC and not getting done the tranfer

Thread Starter #6
@Shubhi

Everything looks to me happening in a reverse way. Once you sold your vehicle, then it is the buyers responsibility to do all the procedure of transfer as you do not have any role to play here. You just need to sign the required forms and give it to him to get this done.

BUT, many cases the buyers doesn't care to get the vehicle transfered on their name and finally the effects of his misuse will be on seller.

I just narrate a small story here for your understanding. My BIL sold his bike to one our cousin and signed and gave papers to him. Later on my cousin never bothered to change the ownership as the bike was being used in the same city and was using the bike for his business purpose. One fine day one of his office person took the bike and met with an accident and unfortunately a girl died hit with this bike, then it is a criminal case on that office person and to our surprise, my BIL received a notice of compensation from the girls lawyer. Then starts a real painful story, now my cousin not bothered to resolve this as his name is not there anywhere on the papers and my BIL says how he is responsible when he already sold the bike. The thing is the insurance got expired and a case is going on in court on my BIL and lot of fighting within our relatives between my cousin and BIL.

So the moral of the story is when you sell your bike or car, take in written from the buyer that you are handing over all the original documents to him along with the required forms for tranfer, hence he is solely responsible to get the tranfer done on his name within some mutually agreed period, otherwise you will file a complaint in respective your state RTO in this regard.

I sold my bike in similar fashion in a exchange with a guy sitting in a suzuki showroom, but he never bothered to change the ownership, then I visited my respected RTO and given a complaint to this effect and kept a signed and stamped copy of such complaint for my future safety.

Now insist the buyer to get it changed on his name, other wise simply file a complaint at your RTO and get a copy of the same signed and stamped by them and keep quite. I am sure he will be fined some where for driving the bike without obtaining the NOC and not getting done the tranfer

Thank you for your reply sir. [:)]

I actually thought that the ownership change is done in the place where bike is sold. I never knew it can be changed in other state too.[cry]

If thats the case, I will only get the NOC done from my side and send all papers to that guy so that he can get it done from Orissa? right? [roll]

^^Yes, get a NOC and send it to him and tell him within a weeks time the bike should be on his name. If he doesn't respond then, simply register this issue with your local RTO where you bike was registered and get a complaint copy and keep quite

Thread Starter #8
^^Yes, get a NOC and send it to him and tell him within a weeks time the bike should be on his name. If he doesn't respond then, simply register this issue with your local RTO where you bike was registered and get a complaint copy and keep quite
Earlier I had only a sale letter as a proof that I sold it to him.

And do you know whats the fee of NOC? and whats the process of NOC?

There is a common selling deed available with all the lawers/nottary/agents, get that copy and make it notarised with signs of both the parties of vehicle sold.
Your liability gets over with those documents and its the owners responsibility to transfer the vehicle and documents in his name.
This is a legal proof of the vehicle sold by you.And for more secured way you can get the same deed on a stamp paper, which is legal and can be done too.

Last edited:
Some more info.

May need to get a POLICE VERIFICATION certificate.
In the application form where there is PART 1 written there are two options.
In the first line you have to write the transferred RTO location.In the second line it starts with I/We intend to sell ,here you give the address of the person who is buying the vehicle.
Provide the address with address proof.
Also the chassis number may need to be embossed on this page.(using pencil)
Apply for NOC at your home RTO with all documents.
If everything goes well,you must be able to get an NOC within a week.
With the NOC and the original RC apply for a new registration within 1 month to the new RTO.(This must be done by the new owner.Keep a copy of all documents with old RC and Tax paid receipt with you.)
Pay the Tax and other required fees.
Had transferred a car by this method ,it was smooth.
Your agent was unable to do this because he didn't knew about this.
Best of luck!

Thread Starter #12
So the bike is not with me.. that Pencil Embossing thing is necessary?
If thats necessary I will have to ask for it from buyer and he will have to send it to me via speedpost.

Just check with your RTO ,if it is required or not.Since the vehicle is not with you it is good to have else the RTO can ask the bike itself to be produced ! The way our Babus work ,you know [:)] ..You definitely need to involve the buyer.

It's very important to get the ownership transferred, primarily it's the buyers responsibility but it's the seller who gets caught in case of any mis-happening. So according to me the seller should get involved proactively with the buyer to get the ownership transferred. I sold my Wagon-R in January and went to the RTO along with the buyer so that everything is done in front of me. It's just a matter of some time that can save the seller from a big trouble later on.

i'm in similar situation. Last year sold bike in Other state. It is buyers responsibility to get done everything, seller have to just sign. Seller should get it written on stamp paper that he have handovered bike to so and so and will not responsible for anything from this date and time. and take signature of buyer.

When we brought our car, then it was us who go to owner, got NOC for our RTO all papers, documents, and then we submit it to our RTO and now waiting to verification to be done.

Seller have not to do anything except take everything in written and get it stamped on nottery.

Top Bottom