Can I Get Driving License in India By Driving Automatic Car?

Thread Starter #1
I have driven automatic cars extensively in US. I have returned back to India for good now. I am planning to buy an Automatic car. I don't want to learn driving a manual as I don't think I will ever drive one. After a bit off googling, i found out that there is no category in India that will award license to drive 'Automatic only' cars (Unless it is tagged as 'invalid Carriage' for differently abled people). My confusion arose when I saw that the general driving tests are not specific to manual cars. 'Changing gears' is not part of the actual test. You can actually perform all of those tests using an Automatic. Now, is there any rule that explicitly states that the driving test should be taken using a manual transmission car?

Re: Can I get a driving license in India (Tamilnadu) by driving an Automatic car?

Ha ha. Welcome to Hindustan.

No problems with auto transmission car; take it along for your driving test. All the best.

This is definitely going to be new info. Till date no one would have even thought about it. Great friend.

Once you got the license please do share your experiences here with other friends, so that it will be really useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #4
Re: Can I get a driving license in India (Tamilnadu) by driving an Automatic car?

No problems with auto transmission car; take it along for your driving test. All the best.
I checked with a local driving school guy here. He said Automatics will not be allowed for driving tests as more than 90% of India uses manual cars. Though his point didn't make sense, he agreed with my view that there should be a new category of license introduced for 'Automatic Only'.

I went to the local RTO but the 'driving inspectors' are feared so much that I think it won't really be possible to have a good discussion with them on this matter. Does anyone know a way get this clarified from the authorities themselves? A website or a friendly local RTO somewhere?

The last option I have is to take the AT car for driving test and see what happens.

I guess it is not possible as rule book says:

"(c) move away safely and smoothly straight ahead at an angle, while at the same
time engaging all gears until the top gear is reached;
(d) to change to the lower gears quickly from the top gear when the traffic
conditions warrant such change;
(e) change quickly to lower gears when driving downhill;
if stop and re-start the vehicle on a steep upward incline making proper use of
the hand-brake or of the throttle and the foot-brake without any rolling back, turn
right and left corners correctly and make proper use of the rear-view mirror
before signalling;"

Source: www.tn.gov.in/sta/Cmvr1989.pdf

I think it is possible. You may need to state the type of Motor vehicle, in your case LMV/AT, while applying for the Driving license.

Since it is "unusual", many including your local driving schools may not be aware of this.

What I fear is, if you hold an AT specific DL, you driving a Manual, which I am afraid one day you may have to in India, becomes illegal by default.But if you get a "Normal" DL, you have the luxury to drive both AT and Manual legally in India, if I am not wrong.

Since you have already driven AT cars extensively, passing a Driving Test shifting the gear stick manually should not be bothersome at all, IMHO. It's just a matter of getting a MT car for a few hours for a couple of days and getting used to it.

Hi janaaaa,
You can get a driving licence using Automatics,if they object you can file a writ asking for necessary instructions on this.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Back here there is normally no road test for the LMV license.
so nobody checks the car is manual or auto while having the H test.
I never saw or heard of a license back here marked LMV/Auto or Gear-less.
So if there is no road test then have H test with your AT car and achieve the license.

While doing the H test you are alone in the car*

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Back here there is normally no road test for the LMV license.
so nobody checks the car is manual or auto while having the H test.
I saw few videos of H test in youtube. It is very specific to Kerala, I guess. In TN, the driving test is conducted in real roads. With real traffic, we have to follow the instructions of the inspector (who sits alongside) and drive as long as he requires.

Thread Starter #13
Below that list there should be an option where you can specify/describe the type of motor vehicle you want to get a DL for.
There is an option that says 'Motor Vehicle of specified Description'.

This is what I found by looking over the internet: [http://www.iiisla.co.in/filedown/DRIVING++LICENSE1[1].pdf]
Section 10 (g) - Motor Vehicle of specified Description - Under this category the authority specifies the particular vehicle not included in any of the category of vehicles from section 10 (a) to Section 10 (g) of MV Act 1988 as amended in 1994 e.g. Auto Rickshaw, tractor etc.
And in section 10(d), there is a list of vehicles given that fall under LMV category. There is a generic mention about motor cars. It doesn't say gear or without gear.

The authorities seem to be not so friendly with automatics. There has been an amendment for 2 wheelers where the 'Motorcycle without gear' category has been replaced with 'Motorcycle under 50cc' category. So, it becomes illegal to drive Activa/Wego with such a license. One must take 'Motorcycle with gear' license to drice such 2 wheelers. Luckily, this amendment is still not followed in many states.

The test can be classified in to two.
1)The H test ,where your cornering and reversing skills are tested
2)Road test,where your breaking and road sense is tested.

For a license you need to pass both tests. And for the second test a driving student is always asked to lower the gear as well as asked to up the gear.
Currently you may not be able to pass the second test (if done as per book) with your car.
Still you try it out. Let us see the result [;)]

Top Bottom