License To Ride a Scooter At 16 Years of Age?

Thread Starter #1
Guys, i am going off-topic. I heard from a friend of mine that i can get a licence to ride a scooter when i turn 16. Is that true? Does it have something to do with the scooters being automatic or what? I am very desperate to have personal means of mobility, and would love to get a scooter this May. [:D] Help me out!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, you can get a LEARNING license of GEARLESS scooters with engine capacity LESS than 50cc.

nowadays, no scooter is available in this range. the closest you can upgrade is to a scooty teenz with 60cc & mahindra kine with 70cc engine.

however, cops MAY even leave you if you are riding a scooty pep (90cc) instead of an activa (110cc).

have a look here.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
yes, you can get a LEARNING license of GEARLESS scooters with engine capacity LESS than 60cc.

nowadays, only 1 scooter is available in this range- scooty teenz! the closest you can upgrade is to a mahindra kine with 70cc engine.

however, cops MAY even leave you if you are riding a scooty pep (90cc) instead of an activa (110cc).
So no Honda Aviator or TVS Wego for me? [cry]

you can buy one but ride it at your own risk! i wont recommend it though. be content with a kine or scooty pep instead. even that is illegal, but its better than buying a teenz!

Yes you can Amaan! I was driving Bajaj Saffire with my learner's license , no problems with cops what so ever!

Though riding a Dio or Activa is illegal according to the rules i don think the cops wont mind that much riding these bikes with a learner's license as long as you don land up in any serious trouble like minor accident , signal jumping , not wearing helmet etc!! If he pulls by you on a random basis i don think there will be any problem!!

Always wear helmet and full sleeve shirts , keep your license in your wallet always and also have all the papers in your bike and drive according to the rules! This is what i did i din land in any problem!![:D] Follow all these and i guess there wont be any problem even if you ride a Dio or Activa!

Yes you can Amaan! I was driving Bajaj Saffire with my learner's license , no problems with cops what so ever!

Though riding a Dio or Activa is illegal according to the rules i don think the cops wont mind that much riding these bikes with a learner's license as long as you don land up in any serious trouble like minor accident , signal jumping , not wearing helmet etc!! If he pulls by you on a random basis i don think there will be any problem!!

Always wear helmet and full sleeve shirts , keep your license in your wallet always and also have all the papers in your bike and drive according to the rules! This is what i did i din land in any problem!![:D] Follow all these and i guess there wont be any problem even if you ride a Dio or Activa!
Can't say I can condone unlicensed driving. In the event of an accident, it can lead to unlimited hassles.

But one line in your post I could not figure out ... "wear full sleeve shirts".
How does that influence the chances of you getting stopped / challaned?

350Z

Core Team
If you are really keen on riding a scooter at this age, then go with Teenz which is almost close to 50cc, As Raj suggested otherwise my honest advise would be to wait for a couple of more years and you’ll be ready to ride complete motorbike or even drive a car, that too "Legally".

Drive Safe,
350Z

Though you may find this stupid I have a notion that wearing full sleeve shirts will not show your young age!!:tongue: Shows an image that you are a big boy!![;)]

Yes correct everything goes well until everything is fine but in case of an accident you may find yourself helpless as you are against the law driving scooters above 50cc!!

350Z

Core Team
Lol, Though we may fool govt. but not ourselves. This rule are made for some reason and for our safety, so best is to follow them to avoid your name entering in this and this thread. :wink:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #11
Well guys, i just have a simple answer to all of that. I won't be using the scoot for anything else than commuting to college on a daily basis. Barring that, the scoot will be unused. My college is barely a couple of kilometers away from my house, and i don't have to use any main roads. I usually travel by Auto-Rickshaws and don't wanna continue that way any more as those folks are very unrelenting and it is often difficult to flag down an auto. What would you suggest now?

350Z

Core Team
I'd suggest to go with Teenz or maybe an Electric Bike (Surf the two wheels section) for which you don't need a license. For further queries regarding purchase please create a new thread here which will help others searching for same information in future.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #14
Even i feel Teenz is the safe and best option for you! Anybody else will be using the scooter??
Most probably not. No one else will be interested in using it. I will be using it for the short hops only. I have ruled out the Teenz and any sort of Electric bikes, as i don't really like them. Now, i feel like buying a Honda Dio. Especially after seeing 14-year olds going scot-free riding HH Karizmas! [lol]

Now, i feel like buying a Honda Dio. Especially after seeing 14-year olds going scot-free riding HH Karizmas!
Dude dont take any tension...first atleast go and get a gearless licence and then feel free to ride any kind of bike...That was I did but without any licence[;)]...I started driving at the age of 16 and till I got my legal liscence Not even a single cop caught me in Mumbai[surprise]...You just have to practice enough so that you dont get scared by seeing a cop in front of you...Also never rev up your bike in front of a cop...they might get a hint...And the most important thing before you do such things...

1-dont forget to wear your helmet.(Its hard to find out age of any guy in helmet)
2-Keep you cell fone with u...(to call any elders/helpful friends in case)
3-Keep your Bike papers correct right from RC book copy, Valid Insurrance, PUC...(Most of the cops are good if u behave good with them...they might leave you if your these three papers are proper...)
4-Keep 'Chutta' of atleast Rs20 and Rs50 always with you. (Most of the time cops leave you also having a nice Rs20 note...)
5-Take routes where there are less cops and try to avoid 'naaka-bandhi'...(if you see any from far change your route or take a U-turn...better to take a long-cut than doing timepass with them...)

Njoy riding...
Ride safe...
cheers...

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom