Bangalore: New Car Owners RC Smartcard

Thread Starter #1
Hello New Car Owners in Bangalore,

Have quick query about the RC card or Smart card as it is called for the new vehicle registration, any idea how long it takes to get the card from the RTO after the vehicle is registered?

Do we still get the regular old style RC Book also?

Any do's & don'ts about these new cards ?

How about taking the new vehicle for a long distance trip crossing other states? I am guessing having RC card is necessary?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info!

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
yes, if you are crossing states you will need rc cards. but for your own town it's fine. it takes about 15 days to come. old style is phased out now.

Now in Bangalore, old style RC book is replaced with Smart Card based (chip based) RC book. It just look alike the credit card.
There is nothing do and don't about the card. Just keep it safe.
Vehicle paper (photo copy) is always required even if you are inside the state.
But carry the original with you when you are traveling a distance where you can not come back immediately to fetch the original one. So be it be inside state or out side.

Thread Starter #5
Vehicle paper (photo copy) is always required even if you are inside the state.
But carry the original with you when you are traveling a distance where you can not come back immediately to fetch the original one. So be it be inside state or out side.
What is this Vehicle paper then? Insurance or you mean invoice copy ? or road tax receipt? or something else?

Vehicle paper are :

-RC Book (Must)
-Insurance Paper.(Must)
-PUC(Pollution Under control) Certificate(Must)
-Road tax receipt.(just in case you are in front of a erratic person)

And keep the Driving License (Original) always with you.

Thread Starter #7
Vehicle paper are :

-RC Book (Must)
-Insurance Paper.(Must)

Thanks but here is how its currently - right ?

-RC Book
There is no such thing like RC Book anymore at least in Bangalore for new cars so carry RC Smart card instead
-Insurance Paper.(Must) Agreed
-PUC(Pollution Under control) Applicable for cars 6 months & older only not for new cars with BS4 standards!! Please verify or correct me here
-Road tax receipt.(just in case you are in front of a erratic person) Agreed -- to be safe!

Last edited:
T
-PUC(Pollution Under control) Applicable for cars 6 months & older only not for new cars with BS4 standards!! Please verify or correct me here
Agreed, there is no RC book rather RC smart card, but still some people now also refer smart card as RC Book (I am one of them).

Regarding PUC:

PUC certificate is not required for vehicle which are less than 1 year old .

But after 1 year, you need to have the PUC certificate for any emission standards including BS4.
This PUC will be valid only for six months and again you have to renew it.This apply for both petrol and diesel vehicle .

More detail information can be found in below TAI thread.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...10-pollution-control-certificate-new-car.html

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India...-new-cars-is-1-year-now/Article1-1014046.aspx

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Vehicle paper are :

-RC Book (Must)
-Insurance Paper.(Must)

good list.
I also carry scanned copies of the above in my phone just in case. can print and present if needed.

Thread Starter #10
Not sure why but the sales rep just emailed me saying that RTO sends RC card within "45 Working Days", probably he is just mentioning the maximum time it can take. Again I don't understand how & why it should take 45 working days [surprise] for such a simple thing. Definitely something wrong with the system if it does take so much time.

Last edited:
Not sure why but the sales rep just emailed me saying that RTO sends RC card within "45 Working Days", probably he is just mentioning the maximum time it can take. Again I don't understand how & why it should take 45 working days [surprise] for such a simple thing. Definitely something wrong with the system if it does take so much time.
I got my smart card after 2 months via normal post.
But I got my road tax receipt on the delivery day and people told that i can manage with the receipt till I receive the smart card aka rc book.

Thread Starter #12
2 months is ridiculously long I think, well everything can be "managed" for sure but why should citizens do that? Again road tax receipt is given on day of delivery, yes. & tax invoice copy should be carried with identity & address proof apparently in absence of RC card.

Here in Kerala also, new RC/ every change in RC should take a minimum of 4 weeks to maximum 2 months. If you didn't received the RC within 2 months also, you have to visit the RT office. Then you can see your documents are pending for some reason (like sign mismatching, document missing). Once you do the necessary change, it will take another 2-3 weeks to receive this.

In Bangalore for new cars cards come in 45-60 days to dealership or to your home. Driving within KA without RC Card is ok. Across borders originals are must.

Old Smart Card & New Smart Card

Hi Figoian,

I saw this below review from you on 2011 section.
(Now waiting for the Smart Card with the old number and later new number in couple of months.
Will try to post a detailed step-by-step DIY guide soon.)

I got santro car from delhi people and paid full amount. He is good guy i think. He given me road tax paid in bangalore and every thing. Right now he is in USA. I got the smart card with same old number only. How to get the new number with KA Regi.. Please guide me.

Top Bottom