Rear-Ended a Car (3rd Party Insurance) – How Much Money Shall I Give?

Thread Starter #1
Today in the morning I met an accident.I was driving my brand new Maruti Ritz.There was a TATA indigo infront of my car,it suddenly pressed the brake and I was not in a position to control my car and the frontal portion of my car collided with the rear portion of that car.[frustration]
The owner of TATA car tried to avoid a cow which I didn't notice at all and anyway it happened.My bonnet was distorted,bumper was broken and radiator was broken and coolants fell down.I towed the car to the nearest Maruti dealer from where I bought the car.
Now the TATA car owner has the third party insurance and his car is given for rent.He told me that as I hit his car from the back so it was my fault and claimed money.I said no issue but you should take it to a garage and tell me your estimate.He took his car to his gearage and the mechanic of that garage gave me an estimate of RS.20,500/-[surprise]

His:-
1] Rear bumper fully damaged-so it has to be replaced.

2]2 backlights broken-so both to be replaced.

3]The rear dicky to be dented and paint (silver colour)

4]The rear bumber to be silver colour paint.

5]There is a minor bulge in the right side of the fendor-which to be dented and painted too.

I know 3rd party insurance holder can not claim for body damage.He may complaint a FIR against me and go to court.

I wish to avoid all these and want for a settlement.

If,then at what amount approximately....or, any other idea.

Waiting eagerly to listen from you guys.

Re: How much money shall I give?

20, 500!!
Buddy if I'd have been at your place then I'd haven't paid him even 2000 rs.
C'mon yaar, how would I know you will brake hard? Even if I knew he will then also why will I accept it?
Secondly why should I bother if he has a third party insurance? He should have taken a first party one.

Let the person go to court or whatever, don't pay him anything more than 30-40% of the total amount, that's it.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

a same incident happened with me yesterday.

the innova guy in front of me applied emergency brakes , i too applied brakes and came to a halt , a tempo behind me rear ended my car but i didn't say anything and i left. it was an honest mistake.

damage - boot dent and broken tail light

just like yours. you should not give any compensation. i agree the driver behind has to be attentive , in your case you , but you also had so much damage to your own car.

did you tell him that you'll pay ?

second hand bumper - 500 rupees
painting of bumper - 1500 rupees.
tail lights - anywhere between 1500-2500 for both complete lights. but do ask the shop if they only have red glass for the tail lights. then it will cost you less than 500 rupees.

dent paint - the pic you see above - i got it fixed for 250 rupees and it wasn't even worth 150.
it was a 5 minutes job.

after denting , no painting.

and 20500 is he out of his mind. don't get the full boot painted. just the area which was damaged. but yeah they will cover more than the damaged area but still not fully.

Last edited:

by that 20500 i think he wants to repair other older denting too as well or who knows he want to buy some accessories as well. [lol]

just like other fellow TAI'ns i will also suggest to give him NOTHING. there is no point to pay that much money. [surprise]

@Rakesh

It is called a mistake of both and both has damages to the cars, and yours is a brand new got more damage it seems, so tell him you will not pay anything to him and let him go to court. If at all you have to pay, then just take out a "zero" on the right hand side and pay him and tell him to enjoy[:)] as he is trying to buy a complete boot of the car are what, if he doesn't agree, then find out a local garage you know and talk to them and just get the dents taken out and and touch up job done thats all

@ rakesh2013: You dont need to pay anything. The meaning of third party insurance is that your insurance company will pay for his damages.

@ raj, the meaning third party is if any other person other than two vehicle drivers involved in accident.

Hence the Indigo guy here in question cannot claim anything from his insurance company, neither rakhesh's insurance company will pay anything.

@ rakesh. Are the repair charges for Indigo quoted by TASS? If yes then the quote is nearly correct.
You can ask him to get quote from any small repair shop.

The tail lamps will cost anything like 700-900 per piece.
Three panels need to repaired and painted which should be around 1500-2500 per panel (in a place like Siliguri).

If you are eager to settle it with the indigo owner, pay nothing more than 5K rupees. (half of his repair cost).

OT -

1. We must always remember "Keep Safe Distance".

2. Similar thing happened to me in Bangalore (I am not a local guy here). An auto broke one of my rear tail lamps. I coolly asked compensation from him. He was not at all apologetic, so I took the keys from his vehicle and walked away, parked my vehicle in side. The guy came running to me begging for his keys and apologizing for his fault. Didnt take anything from him and let him go.

Cheers,
Anshuman

@anshuman

I agree with you 100% we need to keep safe distance and alert all the time. As same thing happened to me I could not guess the sudden braking of the car in front of me and I braked my M 800 bit panicking, a stone raised from the tyre of my front vehicle and hit the windshield of my car and given crack, I fought with that fellow and both us went to police station and the inspector listened to the story and declared fault is with me and told me " just shut up and leave this place" other wise I will book a case on you[cry][lol] then I left that place very sincerely

@anshuman - why both of them can't claim under insurance ?
The indigo guy has third party(liability only) insurance. He does not have any comprehensive cover for his vehicle, so he cant claim for his own car.

Rakesh has a comprehensive and third party insurance. He can get his own car repaired from his comprehensive insurance, but his third party (liability) cover cannot be used for other vehicle. This is how it goes in India, in other countries however this liability would have covered the other vehicle also. That is why Raj had advised Rakesh to pay from his insurance.

In a spike of claims for fake third party covers(e.g. person injured in accident but inflating hospital bills), the insurance companies has raised the third party insurance rates in India from 01/04/13.

Hope this helps.

20, 500!!
Buddy if I'd have been at your place then I'd haven't paid him even 2000 rs.
C'mon yaar, how would I know you will brake hard? Even if I knew he will then also why will I accept it?
Secondly why should I bother if he has a third party insurance? He should have taken a first party one.

Let the person go to court or whatever, don't pay him anything more than 30-40% of the total amount, that's it.
Here I am not advocating for anybody, just my points.

I think this is not the right way. By rule if you go then, who ever has hit from the rear is at the fault. You should have maintain enough distance between the car. How somebody can tell the time when he is going for a hard breaking. Maintaining distance would have avert the issue. Possibility is there, he might have break consciously, but you might have a distracted mind.

If you are not accepting the fault, then it is altogether another debate point.

I agree with the second point, it is his fault for not carrying first party insurance, do not pay anything from pocket. Let him go for a case.If anything settled between 3K then opt it or else do not listen anything.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

The indigo guy has third party(liability only) insurance. He does not have any comprehensive cover for his vehicle, so he cant claim for his own car.

Rakesh has a comprehensive and third party insurance. He can get his own car repaired from his comprehensive insurance, but his third party (liability) cover cannot be used for other vehicle. This is how it goes in India, in other countries however this liability would have covered the other vehicle also. That is why Raj had advised Rakesh to pay from his insurance.

In a spike of claims for fake third party covers(e.g. person injured in accident but inflating hospital bills), the insurance companies has raised the third party insurance rates in India from 01/04/13.

Hope this helps.
oh ok thanks a lot. so does this mean one can opt for 3rd party insurance and not for his own vehicle ? the comprehensive insurance is it not necessary ? hope you don't mind answering. this is new to me.

@AHC

Yes, if I am not wrong most of the insurance policies are 3rd party in India, as buyers are keen for a less premium, so 3rd party insurance means it is a benefit for the fellow who hit you[lol], hope my statement is correct

Top Bottom