How is Car Transferred To Successor After Owner's Death?

Re: How a car is transferred to successors after a persons death?

Tejas, well in this case, as giving my example few months back we had indica dls registered in my fathers name who passed away few months back. So as the natural successor the car would be transferred on my mothers name with death certificate tobe produced along with a transfer form submitted at the RTO office.
In this case there is no transfer fee if it is done on my mothers name.
If i want to transfer the car in my name, have to get NOC from my mother on 100rs stamp paper along with the death certificate and transfer form and there are some charges as well which would be applicable, a roughly 3 to 5k, its some % of the amount paid then.
I hope its useful.

3 to 5 k for an ownership change? is it only for this type special case? what is the charge for the usual ownership change there? In Kerala it is just less than Rs. 200 when we go straightly to RTO. If it is through agents then it is around Rs.550.

Even when I got the car transfered from my sisters name to my name I had to pay just 200 Rs as RTO charges for issue of new RC in Chandigarh. All that was required was an afidavit from my sister that she is gifting the car to me and that was it ... within a week I got the new RC.

In the given case documents required will be :

Form31
Form 30
Form 29 (if required)
Death certificate in relation to the registered owner
Succession certificate (Have to get it from court)
Affidavit from the successor (if vehicle is to registered in some one else's name other than successor)
Address proof
ID Proof/PAN Card
NOC from the Bank (If any)
All valid documents of vehicle (RC Copy, LTT Challan, Valid Insurance, Valid Pollution Certificate)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Anshuman

Top Bottom