Query Regarding Car Transfer From Pune To Chandigarh

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Need your advice.

I'm going out on a foreign deputation & thinking to transfer my car (Santro 2011 model, ~7500 KM, MH14 DA) from Pune to Chandigarh at my native. Now, I've seen people recommending to sell the vehicle rather than transfer owing to obscure RTO laws which can be sometimes quite a pain. I've kept the car like a baby and has taken very due care so do not want to sell it. Also, I want to understand what would it take to transfer the car from Pune, where i presently reside, to Chandigarh, at my native. As I understand, I would need a NOC from Pune RTO. Do I also need some document like "Power of Attorney" created in the name fo my father so that he also owns the right for the car. What other documents would I need so that the process of ownership becomes quite painless. And, once the car is at Chandigarh, would my parents need to have it re-registered on a Chandigarh number, and how soon is that required.

Last but not the least, any recommendable movers and packers service in Pune that can help in transferring the vehicle as well as other goods. And, what would they charge(approximately)?

Appreciate your insights.

I am in the same boat except I want to transfer my existing 7 year old Santro car to my brother in Noida, UP. I have maintained it well, dont need to sell it.

Below is what I have managed to collect as information, though not executed yet.

1. Depending on what is the treatment of Out of State vehicles in your home state, you can choose to register or not register. How much do traffic cops harass out of state vehicles eg. Pune and Bangalore. Usually depends on percentage of Out-of-state population.

2. As per a RTO agent in Noida, one needs the RC Book, Insurance, PUC and DL of the driver, it should not be a problem in driving the same, even if by another person.

3. if you want to make it official, (Transfer ownership and Register in hometown ), its going to be a long process, but here goes :

a. Need NOC and Form 28 from Pune RTO. Form 28 is for transfer of ownership.
b. Apply for Registration over at you hometown. Need to pay tax there- on the value of the car. You get 5% discount for every year of completed purchase.

E.g. Original Invoice Value of the car : 4 L and 2 years old car.
Road tax : 8%.

So Calculated Road Tax: 32,000
To be paid to Hometown RTO : 28,800 (after 5+5 discount)

The above amount you have to pay to Hometown RTO. Plus, you can ask for refund from Pune RTO for 15-2= 13 years on the original Pune RTO tax. You can imagine how much time it will take for getting anything refund from Govt, plus all the running around etc. i am not sure about the documentation reqd fro the same.

Plus add the amount you have to shell out to RTO agents at both RTOs. Add arnd 10K.

I am not sure about movers and packers, but I am assuming it will be around 12-15K for Chandigarh.

That is why, they say if very old car and well maintained, then its beneficial for going in fro re-registration.
For a new car, its a big financial loss.

hope it helps. I know its crushing to part with a dear family member like a car.
I suggest you check and see if you can avoid re-registration in another state.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Rohit for the reply. Much appreciated.

Also, are you aware or have got knowledge on "Power of Attorney" document? Should I go for it and have it created in the name of my parents or it is not required here.

Ayush, AFAIK there is no PoA for a vehicle.

You have Transfer of Ownership via Sale or Succession. You can check the forms below.
RTO, Pune

If all the papers of the vehicle are in order, namely RC Book, Tax paid receipt, Insurance, PUC and DL of the driver, and the driver can safely justify whose car he is driving and why, there should not be a problem- this is per the RTO agent.

Top Bottom