Re-Registering a Vehicle for Which NOC Was Obtained Earlier

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
I have obtained NOC for my car from RTO, KR Puram, Bangalore in Oct 2011. Registered the car in Trivandrum, Kerala in March 2012 and got a new number.

Now, due to a change in job, I am again moving back to Bangalore. What is the registration process?

Is it enough if I get NOC from Trivandrum RTO? I have already paid life time road tax in Karnataka. Will I get the old number or do I get new number again?

If the process is so complicated, I would like sell the car and go for a new one... ofcourse, it would be a big loss of money :(

Incase, I sell the car, what is the procedure to get tax refund from Kernataka RTO? What are the documents I should obtain from Trivandrum/kerala for claiming the refund from karnataka?

If I want to use NCB on my old car, what is the procedure?

Thank you,

Last edited:
Dude, life tax for a vehicle is paid once ONLY no matter how many transfers are done for ownership. You can simply transfer back to Bangalore from Kerala by obtaining an NOC from Kerala respective RTO.

If you have decided to sell your vehicle you will not get any refund from life tax paid. IMO, a vehicle tax refund is only possible if it is converted to a taxi plate from white plate and that differs on age of registration and ownership.

Cheers!!

^^ No. you can do the life tax reimburse, if your vehicle is registered in another state whether it is Karnataka/Kerala. But as per my knowledge it take long time to get back the amount.

Thread Starter #4
Thank you.
I too got the same information from few of my friends. But, unfortunately none of them know the procedure to be followed.

Could you provide me some info on the documents to be submitted to get the claim? I am not in hurry and if get the amount back, its a bonus for me :)

Is there any reliable RTA agent who could do this for me?

Thanks,

Sorry, i dont know any consultants in Tvm/Blr. Our Blr guys can help you. Please get in touch with Varun

Thread Starter #6
Hi,
I got to know that to drive a non-Karnataka vehicle in Karnataka, it is enough if you pay road tax and no need to get NOC from the vehicle registration state.

Since, I paid the life time road tax already in Karnataka, can I drive my vehicle there without any issue?

Thanks,

Hi,
I got to know that to drive a non-Karnataka vehicle in Karnataka, it is enough if you pay road tax and no need to get NOC from the vehicle registration state.

Since, I paid the life time road tax already in Karnataka, can I drive my vehicle there without any issue?

Thanks,
Hi bnagasekar, your KA road tax receipt is not of much use now as you have changed your number to KL. Technically you should have filed for refund of the road tax from KA. If you are interested to re-register the vehicle in KA again, you need to start the process a fresh i.e. by obtaining NOC for KL RTO and submitting in nearest KA RTO and pay LTT again (but prorated).

These processes are too much complex even with agent, so I would advise you to sell off the vehicle in case your planning for change/upgrade.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Folks
I wish to share my experience about paying LTT for my TN registered Santro at Koramangala RTO on 5th July 2013

Day1:

I went to koramangala RTO along with the original invoice copy, insurance, RC book and PUC. I reached the office (Room No. 11) by 10 AM only to find the cleaners at work (cleaning the tables of the bosses). Meanwhile i filled form No 14. Just a day before, the transport minister paid a surprise visit to the RTO wherein the public complained to him about the attitude of some of the RTO guys. I thought this will have some impact on them when they come to office the next day. Unfortunately they are thick skinned buffaloes. [frustration]
They came at 10: 30 AM. I met the superintendent and explained to him that i intend to pay the road tax w/o changing number plate. The first thing he said was to bring NOC from TN. I replied back politely that as per rules one can stick to the existing number just by paying road tax. Then i met one gentleman who sits in a separate cubicle behind the cash counter. i forget his designation. he said no problem if u pay only road tax. he directed me to an auditor who sits in Room No. 3.
I produced the invoice copy and he calculated the tax considering depreciation. it came to Rs 32407. He mentioned this value in Form No 14 and asked me to take DD for this amount. I told him that i will make the payment the next day. he asked me to get the signature from the superintendent the next day before going to cash counter

Day 2:

I came to the office by 10 AM. The RTO guys came at 10:45 AM (15 min improvement compared to the previous day). I met the superintendent and produced the form no 14 along with the tax value . he said i have to produce NOC. I replied back politely that as per rules one can stick to the existing number just by paying road tax and this is mentioned in RTO website of KA. he was not convinced or pretending to be so. I met a madam who sits in a glass cubicle just after u enter Room No 11. I explained the facts to her.
She said she will ask the superintendent to sign on my form 14 provided i bring NOC. i said if i produce NOC, the existing TN number will be invalid. She said no. She also said after paying road tax, i have 11 months time to produce NOC.
I was not convinced but simply nodded my head. I again met the superintendent and explained to him the whole story. This time i suppose better sense prevailed in him. he tried to convince me to bring NOC so that i can apply for refund back in Chennai. I made it clear to him that i wish to stick to the existing TN number and that i am willing to pay road tax only.
Finally he obliged and i made the payment at cash counter. Here is the challan that i got
tax.JPG
I have removed the vehicle and challan no. only.

Guys remember one thing. You have to be strong in the rules .

BTW i did not approach a broker or pay an extra paise more for this.

The entire process took about 20 mins on both the days.

Hope this helps

I replied back politely that as per rules one can stick to the existing number just by paying road tax and this is mentioned in RTO website of KA.
Is this rule applicable for other states as well? Can anyone confirm?
I want to use my vehicle( registered in Pune) in my hometown in Kerala, by paying the road tax alone and wish to retain the old MH number. I haven't got any NOC from Pune RTO.

Is this rule applicable for other states as well? Can anyone confirm?
I want to use my vehicle( registered in Pune) in my hometown in Kerala, by paying the road tax alone and wish to retain the old MH number. I haven't got any NOC from Pune RTO.
Lameassonwheels@

As permy knowledge, Kerala RTO dont accept Road tax if you are not reregistering the vehicle here. If you came with NOC and other required docs for Reregisteration, they will accpet the same, then only they will allow to pay road tax here. I had checked this with local RTO agent just now.

In your case, the best option is, do not take NOC from there if not going to reregister here and use it here.Since you still stay in pune and it is in your address, In case police RTO caught, you can or anybody who drive the car here tell that it taken to kerala only one week before and will be return soon. It is the best option If you are not reregistering it here. Also resale value for reregistered vehicles,especially MH are very low here.

I am from Kochi and working in Infopark. There are plenty of other state registered cars here and i personally know one who using his MH reg Santro for the past 5 years here.

Last edited:
Lameassonwheels@

As permy knowledge, Kerala RTO dont accept Road tax if you are not reregistering the vehicle here. If you came with NOC and other required docs for Reregisteration, they will accpet the same, then only they will allow to pay road tax here.
Thanks a lot Releesh, for going extra miles and helping by checking with agent!. I will go as per your suggestion [thumbsup] . But cops won't ask for Toll receipts as a proof of entry date?. I think things are different in Karnataka from one of the above posts by suresh-gs. Seemingly there you can pay just road tax without changing the registration.

Cops in Kerala are not that Advanced. If they asked Which toll?there is nothing in Kerala border and why you need to keep them for after one week?Noneof the laws here telling to keep the toll receipts for one week.[:D]

@ Lameassonwheels The rule is in case any private car goes to another state, it has 30 days time where in it can roam around in the other state. after 30 days in case you get caught you have to show the recent petrol bill which should be within 30 days of entering the state or else you will have to show your residence proof of the other state in case you dont have the petrol/ diesell bill of the last fill up. Anyways you can always say you came a week back provided you have the residential proof of other state. I know this as i had other state car running in karnataka and here the rules are strict if you get caught i was asked to pay spot fee of karnataka road tax which amounted up to 33,000 so i know these details.

Incarnation@

in KA you can pay the road tax with out reregistration, but not in Kerala.That is why i suggested him not to go for this. Anyway now Kerala police and RTO is not behind other state smaller vehicles. So no need to think about it now. In fact they said are behind the Keralite owners of luxuary cars which registered in union territory like PY for tax savings.

I am planning to buy a Haryana registration vehicle and transfer to Kerala. The Owner told that he will provide me NOC with my kerala Address. But the issue is that he will give the vehicle only after showing the proof of application i have submitted in kerala.
My question is that is it possible for me to pay the LTT in kerala with out showing the vehicle?

Top Bottom