Registration of New car in December or January?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am finally getting my Ertiga very soon. However, maruti SA is suggesting that I register my vehicle in Jan 2013 and get the temporary registration done now.

I have following questions:

1. SA is saying that vehicle cannot be invoiced without (temporary/permanent) registration. So, If I delay my registration in Jan I might risk my chances of paying new price effective Jan 2013. Is he telling the truth?

2. How does next year registration of the car really help? Does the vehicle resale value change for vehicle registered in 28-Dec-2012 vs 1-Jan-2013? Is it not all about model of the vehicle?

3. Is it worth waiting for 2013 model of ertiga?

I would be grateful for all suggestions and comments.

Thanks,
Vishal

2. How does next year registration of the car really help? Does the vehicle resale value change for vehicle registered in 28-Dec-2012 vs 1-Jan-2013? Is it not all about model of the vehicle?
AFA resale value is concerned, for professional buyers eg.new car dealers (exchange scheme), the resale value of 28 dec vs 1 jan registered car is same, because both cars are manufactured in the month of december or before that .And the manufacturing date is mentoned on the RC smart card by default. However unsuspecting amateur individual buyer can fall prey to the jan registration , neglecting the importance of manufacturing date.
If you want to have better resale value for your car, it is wise to buy a jan manufactured car and get it registered in jan or feb.

3. Is it worth waiting for 2013 model of ertiga?
Do you mean to say that Maruti is going to launch face lift /improved model of Ertiga in 2013?
IMO it is less likely to happen, as Ertiga is launched just few months back, and Maruti is famous for launching facelifts after few years of original launch. And these facelifts are often 'DIY' type.{not worth waiting and sacrificing the december offers)

Last edited:
Answers to your questions serial wise:

1. Price will not increase in January. If at all it has to increase, it will increase only in March (after our great finance minister thinks that people should not enjoy cars and hence decides to raise excise duty on cars in the Union Budget).

2. For someone who understands cars, its the model year that matters and not the date of registration of vehicle.

3. Not worth. The Ertiga has been launched recently and no major changes are expected in 2013.

It is not the matter when do you do the registration, it is the matter of manufacturing month and year mentioned on RC. Resale depends on the mfg month and year not the registration date. So if you want to buy a vehicle of 2013, then check with its VIN number decoding and see that it is manufactured in 2013

Actually it is worth waiting till Jan. You loose nothing. True, seasoned buyers will check the date of manufacture. But not all buyers are seasoned. Buy the vehicle in December around the 28th or 29th. Then do the registration in Jan. Most dealers allow you to keep the car in the dealership for a few days. That's what I did with the i10. Of course we do not have the option of Temp registration in Goa, so that's what I had to do. If you are eager to use the car, then get the Temp registration done and then permanent in Jan.

You loose nothing. True, seasoned buyers will check the date of manufacture. But not all buyers are seasoned
Practically , when it comes to resale, most of the time,we sell the car to the 'new car dealer' in exchange scheme or to the ' used car dealer' so as to crack the deal quickly. They will evaluate the the car on the basis of date of manufacture. Also , let us know , is it easier to get unseasoned buyers in your city/area?

Buy the car in december only if the ' december offer' is attractive enough to justify the expected loss of resale value .And one should be intrested in the instantaneous cash benefits rather than the unknown resale value benefit of the car after few years.
The resale value depends mainly on condition of car, accidental damage if any, tire life left, insurance life left, etc.which we do not know now at the time of new car purchase.

BTW, how much ' december cash benefit' you are getting on ertiga ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Thank you all for the suggestion. I am not getting any cash benefit/discount for buying car in december. However, I have read news about maruti announcing price hike in Jan 2013 by about Rs.20000 so was interested in getting my car in december. What do you guys suggest?

@VB , In your case there is no instantaneous cash benefits associated with yearend buy(no discount). But ertiga's resale value will be definitely be better by Rs 20000 if it is Jan manufactured and Jan/feb registered as compared to december manufactured car, if you maintain it properly.

Chances of price hike in Jan is very less , as it is a common pity gimmick used by car sellers every year to propel the sales. If at all, the price is hiked by 20000, still it will be no loss no profit deal.

Still if you are intrested in the instantaneous cash benefit , you can ask for nov/december manufactured car in Jan at a discounted price.They will happily do it..Also it will be registered in the new year. (benefit in case you get a nonseasoned buyr at the time of resale.)

So, do not book it in december, book it in Jan.

Tornado;240481So said:
do not book it in december[/B], book it in Jan.
Booking in Jan does not guarantee a Jan manufactured vehicle.

Practically , when it comes to resale, most of the time,we sell the car to the 'new car dealer' in exchange scheme or to the ' used car dealer' so as to crack the deal quickly. .
The purpose of this kind of threads is to make sure we get the best deals on buying as well as selling. So let's take our time and not rush into buying or selling. Homework needs to be done well.

The resale value depends mainly on condition of car, accidental damage if any, tire life left, insurance life left, etc.which we do not know now at the time of new car purchase.
And also very importantly the model year. This is the main factor. Whether the manufacture year or registration year is considered, depends on the buyer.

And also very importantly the model year. This is the main factor. Whether the manufacture year or registration year is considered, depends on the buyer.
If the car is booked in december, it is not possible to compel delivery of a jan manufactured car unless dealer decides to oblige probably due to all december manufactured car are already out of stock .
But if the car is booked in the month of jan then the buyer can legally and logically ask for jan manufactured car.

If you compare a car manufactured in jan 13 which has undergone a severe accident repair job , and a car manufactured in 2012 ,which has not suffered an accident , which car will fetch better resale value , after few years at the time of resale ?
So , what is important at the time of resale ? manufactuer date or condition of a car ?

Last edited:
Yes , you have rightly alerted VB here.

I will wait for Jan 2013 model :-)
You need to keep your eyes wide open , Before giving finger impressions on the RTO documents , you need to decode the VIN on your own without SE'S help.
Till you book the car go through the 'VIN decoding ' thread on this forum.

Top Bottom