RTO Troubles on Temporarily Using a Car in Different State

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

One of my colleague from Chandigarh came to Chennai 5 months ago for a project related work. He owns 2 year old i10.

One weekend near Mogappair(Chennai), A RTO happened to catch his car asked for RC and other necessary docs. He promptly showed him those. Here goes the twist. RTO said that he is suppose to pay Road Tax. He said it is 8% and calculated the value of car himself and ended up to a round amount of 32K to be paid. My friend argued with him saying that everybody pays the road tax while buying the car and it happens in one shot. He refused to pay and the RTO has taken the car to nearest police station. [confused]

I am quiet puzzled here with what RTO has done. Is RTO right? What should my friend do now guys? Need your suggestions please.

Cheers,
Marun

Re: RTO troubling - What to do?

If you wish to drive a car registered in one state, in another state than you have to get it re-registered there (NCR is an exception here). However, there is a period (i guess 6 months) for which you can drive it without paying road tax/re-registration. Tell you friend to prove it to the cops that he is still in that buffer period, if he actually is.

freakdude.

Also tell your friend to get a NOC certificate from the RTO in Chandigarh, that helps sometimes. It helped one of my friend but not for me when i took my UP registered bike to Pune when i was doing my Bachelors.

^^My Corolla is registered in Uttarakhand and Laura in Haryana.
Still both are running in Uttar Pradesh and no problems faced till date.

^^My Corolla is registered in Uttarakhand and Laura in Haryana.
Still both are running in Uttar Pradesh and no problems faced till date.
Buddy actually we don't come across these problems in Northern region. But down south this is a big problem and especially if the cops see a vehicle registered in Northern Part they will stop you and try to make some money.

When i went to Pune first time with my dad in our 800, we were stopped and had to pay Rs 500 and when i took my bike i had to face the same problems. So i took my bike back to UP and bought a second hand pulsar in Pune. Especially UP and BR registered vehicles[;)]

Thread Starter #6
Seems like some are really lucky and my friend isn't [:)]

I will inform him to re-register as he will have to stay here for some more months. Thanks for all your inputs pals.

Seems like some are really lucky and my friend isn't [:)]

I will inform him to re-register as he will have to stay here for some more months. Thanks for all your inputs pals.
Getting it re-registered means paying all the charges/taxes again. If it is for a few months that it's not advisable to re-register as when your friend would be going back to Chandigarh, he'd have to again re-register there and again pay all the charges. For few months time either he can buy a used car in Chennai and sell it off when leaving or use the cabs.

freakdude.

I am quiet puzzled here with what RTO has done. Is RTO right? What should my friend do now guys? Need your suggestions please.

Cheers,
Marun
As per RTO regulations, the Road Tax paid is limited only to that particular state. You can travel to other states as a visitor, but not as a resident. If so, you should get a NOC from the RTO where the car is registered, and pay the road tax of the new state within a month. With Road Tax being paid, you can use the car in new state for up to 12 months, beyond which you will need to register the car and get a new number as well.

Note, if the Road Tax isn't paid with in a month, that levies penalties as well.

I know it's ridiculous, however, that's the sad state of our state(s).

As per RTO regulations, the Road Tax paid is limited only to that particular state. You can travel to other states as a visitor, but not as a resident. If so, you should get a NOC from the RTO where the car is registered, and pay the road tax of the new state within a month. With Road Tax being paid, you can use the car in new state for up to 12 months, beyond which you will need to register the car and get a new number as well.

Note, if the Road Tax isn't paid with in a month, that levies penalties as well.

This is really ridiculous, I know this from long. But I really think now only thing that's left is to have VISA to visit other states in India. Apart from this, everything else is there. Migrating from one state to other and here is the beginning of the problems. [frustration]

This is really ridiculous, I know this from long. But I really think now only thing that's left is to have VISA to visit other states in India. Apart from this, everything else is there. Migrating from one state to other and here is the beginning of the problems. [frustration]
Rightly said Dharmesh. I moved from Pune to Bangalore and have paid the Road Tax, submitted all documents for Re-registration. Yet, waiting for any news from the RTO for more than 6 months.

However, I have no problem even if the cops would stop me as I have an acknowledgment from the RTO.

Thread Starter #11
Thanks for prompt responses guys.

@freakdude : Not sure how many months he will be here. Will inform him the procedure.

@Figoian : I thought in new state we get a time of 6 months. Never knew its just a month. Onre more thing is, once registered in new state, do we really have to register again after 12 months?

Wow, an eye opener! I wasn't aware of this and have travelled in my UK registered safari in UP,DL,RJ,MP,MH,AP,KA and GA. Have been lucky till now. Next they stop me, will tell them that i have come there for a vacation.[lol]

Wow, an eye opener! I wasn't aware of this and have travelled in my UK registered safari in UP,DL,RJ,MP,MH,AP,KA and GA. Have been lucky till now. Next they stop me, will tell them that i have come there for a vacation.
Yes, that's the best approach. But if a car with other state's registration is seen many times in same area then they will come to know about your migration. [lol]

Buddy actually we don't come across these problems in Northern region. But down south this is a big problem and especially if the cops see a vehicle registered in Northern Part they will stop you and try to make some money.

When i went to Pune first time with my dad in our 800, we were stopped and had to pay Rs 500 and when i took my bike i had to face the same problems. So i took my bike back to UP and bought a second hand pulsar in Pune. Especially UP and BR registered vehicles[;)]
guys for your kind info in bangalore you will find many vehicles of different states reg and and as per as my knowledge it depends on your driving and we had innova and scorpio both are registered in AP 21 and AP 26 but till now they havent caught us

Rightly said Dharmesh. I moved from Pune to Bangalore and have paid the Road Tax, submitted all documents for Re-registration. Yet, waiting for any news from the RTO for more than 6 months.

However, I have no problem even if the cops would stop me as I have an acknowledgment from the RTO.
i dont think like that in bangalore peoples are free to use any registration vehicle only you should be good in fighting and also must have each and every doc perfeclty
else you have to pay huge amount
Yes, that's the best approach. But if a car with other state's registration is seen many times in same area then they will come to know about your migration. [lol]

i dont think like that in bangalore peoples are free to use any registration vehicle only you should be good in fighting and also must have each and every doc perfeclty
else you have to pay huge amount
Yes. Undoubtedly, one can witness almost all states' registered vehicles in Bangalore. One will not have an issue until you have been stopped for that reason and as said, if you will be able to manage it better.

It's better to get it done, when you know your stay plan in the state. Just to avoid, unnecessary troubles and extra pennies later.

Thanks for prompt responses guys.

@Figoian : I thought in new state we get a time of 6 months. Never knew its just a month. Onre more thing is, once registered in new state, do we really have to register again after 12 months?
No. Once registered, you will get a new number of that state (TN in your case) and holds good until the registration validity or until you move to another state[clap].

BTW, there is a process to claim the Road Tax paid in the former state as well. You should file for refund with the Former RTO once you get the new number. But, I doubt if anyone had won it yet.

Top Bottom