Happy To Be Where I Belong: The Automotive Enthusiasts

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends. I am Rakesh and I am based out of Bangalore.

Though I have been a member for quite sometime now, I could not contribute much to the forums except for being a curious and inquisitive mind to gather information from our brethren. Its time to be on the other side now and be more interactive and contribute to our community [:)]

I love to travel and travel alone at times, though a like minded companion/group would be good fun. I currently own a Toyota Corolla, '77 model bullet, duke 390 and a humble Active (belongs to my better half). I have earlier owned Opel Astra, Maruti Esteem (AX), 2 RX100's, Enfield Thunderbird and the lovely Yamaha RD 350 ( regret selling the RD 350 to this day)

Last but certainly not the least, glad to be here and happy motoring to all[:)]

bhvm

Honoured Member
Welcome RockyBhai to TAI.
Wish you a warm and pleasant stay. You have owned some legendary vehicles. Do post their Pics/reviews.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks bhvm. Yes, would post the pics of these beauties sometime soon. Though I have captured most of them, unfortunately I do not have any pics of my RX 100s. I sold them off about 7-8 years ago, back in Pune before buying the RD 350 :(

Thread Starter #4
The pictures will soon follow once I reach home as those are in my personal laptop. However, if I were to review these soul mates, words cannot really match my emotions but I will anyway put those up to share it with our fellow members.

RX 100s - Love of my life. My first bike and my first love, will ever remain so. I was still in third year Engg College when I bought it from a friend of mine. Boy, was I on cloud 9. I don't know if there is a cloud10 or I may have even reached there. An absolute hoot to drive and a cracker of an engine. This was a 89 model Jap make. Still remember the registration number in my mind.

Yamaha RD 350 – After riding the RX for a couple of years, as with any Yamaha lover, the RD350 bug bit me and bit me so hard. I saved a few months of my salary and sold off one of the RX 100 (the indian make) and started scouting for a good RD. After a long search of endlessly visiting the mechanics in pune, finally laid my hands on a very well maintained and parsi owned RD 350 through my office colleague. A sure head turner all the way. A total fireball is what it was what fun years were those. Ahhh !!! Literally had the dream run of my life. Will never ever forget those RD days and the exclusivity it offered you wherever you go. Had to sell if off due to parking issues and was also relocating to Bangalore.

Enfield standard 350 (77 model) – While I was thoroughly in love with my Yamahas, the urge to buy an old bullet also grew within. It was by chance and sheer luck that I could lay my hands on a well maintained, army bike reregistered to pune rto. It has been my daily and an occasional highway ride for more than a decade and it has never ever let me down in the middle of the highways, leave aside a couple of occasions for a quick fix work.

Enfield Thunderbird – I was used to do a lot of Mumbai –Pune runs those days and felt that a cruiser will be a good ride to cover the distance. That’s how landed up buying a TB. My dad worked with Eicher Motors for close to 40 years and he was still working at Eicher back then. This helped me get a small discount as well. Though it could never the match the ride quality and offer the pleasure of the RDs and RXs of the world, it served its purpose well as a highway cruiser.

KTM Duke 390 – Got to ride a colleague’s 390 once and was blown away with the power it had to offer. Immediately it transported me back to my RD days. Had an instant feeling, that this is the only bike today (read 2014) which can get me the feel of riding the RD back. There I was, sold off the Thunderbird here in Bangalore to an office colleague and got myself a Duke 390. Awesomely capable machine though I think that the vibrations are a little on the higher side when in high revs due to the single cylinder engine. I use it only for my occasional high drives whereas the bullet is my regular ride.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, as much as I felt the emotions running through me, recollecting and penning each of those bygone times.

Last edited:

Top Bottom