Me & My Story (Dr.Sayak Paul)

Thread Starter #1
Let me start from the beginning. My dad dr ramen kr paul is my inspiration regarding profession and regarding becoming a long drive and car freak. My dad struggled a lot in life but never let his passion got submerged. In the toughest of time he tried hard and bought a premier padmini 2nd hand back in 1980. I was use to with car from my birth. When I was 2 yrs old dad use to take me in his lap while driving and I insist to hold the steering with him. I was very stubborn during my childhood days. My rule was like if we're out by car for any reason, I have to buy a new toy car each time and my parents never disappointed me.

Days passed, year passed it was 1994. I realized that my legs are long enough to reach the clutch brake and accelerator. One rainy morning I woke up at 4am and came to dad and asked I wana learn driving, at that time we own a 2nd hand ambassador. Dad stared at me for few seconds then said, it's your day boy let's go. We went for a broad road, I took 2 pillow one cover the seat and other at the back. Now I can see things through the steering, no people could see me from outside. I was so small in that big ambassador. Everybody asking dad how could this class 4 kid drive this car. We changed our car again in 2000, this time it is maruti omni, in between dad taught me everything about driving and highway rules. he let me drive on highways under his supervision.

He knew from inside I won't let him down. We made trips to rajasthan, delhi, lucknow, ahmedabad, benares, puri, digha, 80 percent of west bengal. I was my dad's co pilot, always watching him and learning from him. In year 2003 I left home to join medschool, then again days passed, year passed. In 2009 just before my MD exams in delhi I saw the first add of black linea at newspaper. It was like love at first sight. I promised to myself if I clear the exam then I will buy this car. I fix the paper cutting add at the wall of my room and use to stare at her while I was not studying. I was in love with her, then the very day of exam came in march 2010, I passed the exam march 2010, and returned kolkata asap. The first thing what was in my mind to get a test drive of linea. I was so much determined to buy the black italian beauty that I never took any other test drive other than linea. Finally my love at first sight came home on 17th may 2010, black linea emotion fire top model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
Recently i have done bhutan trip, vizag trip and now my forthcoming trip is gangtok . Will start on 23 rd november with my better half and 11 month old daughter.

Welcome brother. Your car learning curves and mine are 99.9% identical starting from the year, age, dad being doctor, seeing through the steering & both of us from Kolkata! The only differences are i am not a doctor and i learnt in a Padmini!

And this 23 rd November you will be going to Sikkim and on that day i will be returning from Sikkim! Mine too will be a road trip!

Edit : Hope to catch up with you in the Kolkata TAI meets. :)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Glad to hear that samba07. I am excited to hear about the identical story of us. Its been long time i am searching for a partner/friend who could accompany me in long road trips but alas i am not that lucky but it's only today i registered in this site and got you, really feeling very much excited. I have plans to drive to leh, goa, south india but nobody is there there to accompany me. Whom so ever i asked for they called me insane. It's been great meeting you buddy, please pm me you contact details asap because lot to talk with you regarding the sikkim tour. Subho bijoya....!!

Thread Starter #5
Welcome brother. Your car learning curves and mine are 99.9% identical starting from the year, age, dad being doctor, seeing through the steering & both of us from Kolkata! The only differences are i am not a doctor and i learnt in a Padmini!

And this 23 rd November you will be going to Sikkim and on that day i will be returning from Sikkim! Mine too will be a road trip!

Edit : Hope to catch up with you in the Kolkata TAI meets. :)
Where do you stay at kolkata? I stay at batanagar calcutta riverside.
Which route you are taking till siliguri?nh34 or dumka bhagalpur dalkhola route?

Glad to hear that samba07. I am excited to hear about the identical story of us. Its been long time i am searching for a partner/friend who could accompany me in long road trips but alas i am not that lucky but its only today i registered in this site and got u,really feeling very much excited. I have plans to drive to leh, goa, south india but nobody is there there to accompany me. Whom so ever i asked for they called me insane. Its been great meeting u buddy, please pm me ur contact details asap because lot to talk with u regarding the sikkim tour. Subho bijoya....!!
You can reach me at
Am available 24/7 for any car enthusiast! [:)]
I have done a Ladakh road trip this August and a road trip to Goa from Bangalore few years back. So if you need any info on those places apart from Sikkim i will be glad to share with you.

Welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com dr_sayak.

That's an interesting story you've penned down and it let me think of how I learnt driving car!
Please so share your experiences about your travels and about your Linea!

Have a pleasant stay and please feel free to contact the team for assistance.[:)]

Thread Starter #8
Hi viswas. Travelling , i mean to say road travel is my passion since my childhood though i think its legacy which i am being inherited.
I have done lots of longdrive with dad but i will share mine. I have done puri three to four times, vizag with my alto k10 and bhutan with my fiat linea last march. I am planning for tirupati very soon probably next month.
Let me share some of my pics from bhutan trip. FB_IMG_1445703569752.jpg

FB_IMG_1445703561727.jpg

FB_IMG_1445703584041.jpg

Thread Starter #11
Hi shrijit.Due to garrage space issues we had to sell the omni while buying linea.I saw your thread. Nice pics of your omni. I would say that you really love your car. Share some long drive experience you had in omni?

Hi shrijit.Due to garrage space issues we had to sell the omni while buying linea.I saw your thread. Nice pics of your omni. I would say that you really love your car. Share some long drive experience you had in omni?
Thanks![:D]Àctually long drives have been made very rarely...I remember that the last long drive was in 2010 to see our relatives.Our family members are not relieing on the Omni as we have experienced breakdown issues,plus no power steering and power brakes mades it difficult to drive on busy roads.My father is also a doctor.
Here is my introuction thread...made it yesteray.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...-new-post.html __________________

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am 25 years old, just finished my MBBS from RGkar HospitAl.
If you people from Kolkata are planning a TAI meet, please count me in.
Cheers.

Top Bottom