Hi All (Is this an introduction or what?)

Thread Starter #1
A big salute to all the petrol / diesel heads!

I am no big auto enthusiast. But I believe I have some unique narration to share in life. Why? Please read on, I won't disappoint you.

Owing to my engineering degree (@21), I have immense passion towards how things work. I really do (although sometimes I ignore my instinct to know)!

I always thought that cars were luxury till a few months ago. I know that some of you might think me crazy, but that's what I was (past tense). I owe it to my family, to have that grounded feeling. I was from a very middle class family, who could never (never) afford a car. All my parents could do was to educate us (4 brothers)! That in itself was a huge asset to us (don't tell my father!).

Then something happened. And I was on the path of realizing that luxury (cars!) is no more luxury. It is part of a life experience. My immediate family ignited the fire (in-laws, cousins, etc). I could sense the peat fire (some kind of fire that happens underground). A little pause, for you, to get into my mindset.

I believe in infatuation. I fell in love with Yamaha (raw power, in those days), Royal Enfield (riding posture & raw power) & Mahindra Scorpio (walk into a car, not crawl into one).

Yamaha: It was my first bike to learn & ride. Amazing pickup. I owned one from 2001 - 2012, till it was stolen.

Royal Enfield: I own a Royal Enfield Bullet 500 since Dec 2014

I bought the Yamaha RX 135, 5 speed (only option available at that time, 2001)! I do remember buying it on my credit card (just to earn points). So stupid, if I look back!! The only reason I bought it, was for the acceleration experience, when a girl was sitting in the back (my wife (to-be at that time) was sitting at that time!) Man, I loved the experience. Words can never describe my joys!

Back to my life, zipped forward, 10+ years. I was under a huge pressure (directly / indirectly). Most of college mates had a sophisticated sedan / long distance cruiser. By this time, my horse-powers were increased (family expanded, my desire expanded!). I bought my love Bullet 500. I still own it (although only 4800++ kms after a year). I love solo rides. I am hated for doing so (by all immdte family members, so very rare)!

After finishing 16+ years in the same company & being in IT (very rate feat as well), I decided that I need to expand my horizon of basic needs. I was depriving some of the experiences of my family (long drives, family driving, family togetherness, etc).

I have always wanted something with good raw power! So I decided that an SUV needs to be part of the life experiences. That was the realization. And by default, it has to be the Scorpio (thanks to its ads, Walk Into a Car!). I never liked crawling into car. I hate low GC cars (sorry sedan & other car enthusiasts / folks!).

It could have been XUV, Storme, Pajero Sport, Fortuner, etc. I chose the most VFM of all, Mahindra Scoprio S10 (being the most affordable of all SUVs). Parameters considered was (a) Number of seats (b) Rugged features (c) Ride & handling (d) anywhere drivability, etc.

All this is fine! I am already forty! Can I learn to drive (I knew only 2-wheelers till Aug 2015)? Can I drive a large SUV (being the first car)? Can I enjoy the ride? Can the family enjoy?

Do read my threads (sporadic though) to enjoy my experiences...... I do hope that I could contribute meaningfully.

I am sure that I will require all the forum members' help to be a successful experience. I am (indirectly) assured of all the help that I need (user friendly interfaces & moderators)! Thanks in advance folks (though words of appreciation never substitute real pat in the back!).

I got my license on 23rd September 2015. I booked my M&M Scorpio S10 on 29th Sept 2015. So, am I making some contribution? Please do reply & suggest.

With all your support,
CS (signing off the first port).

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome on board CS (compact sedan?) :biggrin:

TAI is the first thing most of us (including me) check as soon as we open our eyes and today thus one grabbed my eyeballs. Awesome intro man, read it twice; bring in more.

Congrats for booking the Scorpio. S10 is an awesome variant and is tremendous VFM too.

New gen Scorpio I have driven a lot, from a lot I mean it. Maybe 30k kms in my hand itself. It's one gem of an SUV and is rugged enough that no newbie can get it troubled by any ways (don't drive into other vehicles, trees, dividers etc).

Here is our road test review for you to know more about the SUV before you lay your hands on it.

www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/o...orpio-2015-review-pictures-scorpio-sting.html

Adding to this we have ownership reviews by a couple of members which may give you answer to every question of yours. After all an ownership review is an ownership review and gives some fine details which a road test (2-3 days) can't tell.

You can learn quite well on a Scorpio (I learnt way back in an Armada Grand and honed my skill on Scorpio 2.6 and Innova). A good torquey engine will seldom cause the stalling issues, great all round visibility will ensure that you are always aware of your whereabouts. It's just that until your reflexes are perfectly trained, don't speed up. Gradually increase your driving speed and take your own sweet time to cross the 120 mark.

Congrats for your driving licence, Scorpio and the feeling of being a new driver.

bhvm

Honoured Member
welcome bro.
your thoughts are very interesting. we'd love to see your travelogue and ownership threads bro.

and yes, everything is easy with enough practice. but I'd suggest start with a small car for ease and cost reasons.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks, TSIVipul.

'Compact sedan': Everytime I think of it, I get a wry smile

Scorpio threads: Yes, I have checked it for the last 2-3 months almost every day!

Learning: I sincerely hope so. After 9 classes, I drove my BIL's Ertiga for about 40kms. Almost everyone in the immediate family were impressed on how much I had picked up with very few lessons. The only problem I had was the strained ankle/calf.

Even on my bullet, a very sensible driver. That couldn't be said when I was having my Yamaha. In those days, I couldn't tolerate anyone overtaking me. Now I have mellowed down a lot.

I did 2 test drives in the Scorpio (one in Malleswaram, Bangalore & one on Mysore Road, Bangalore). Both went fine. Rather than testing my driving skills, I was able to correlate to reviews when I was driving.

Thanks, bhvm.

I would share as much as I can. I had about 9 lessons on WagonR & about a few hours in Ertiga.

I do sincerely hope I have good, safe miles in the Scorpio.

Thanks, Vijay. I do wanted to edit it for dots and spelling mistakes.

Thanks, TSIVipul.

'Compact sedan': Everytime I think of it, I get a wry smile

Scorpio threads: Yes, I have checked it for the last 2-3 months almost every day!

Learning: I sincerely hope so. After 9 classes, I drove my BIL's Ertiga for about 40kms. Almost everyone in the immediate family were impressed on how much I had picked up with very few lessons. The only problem I had was the strained ankle/calf.

Even on my bullet, a very sensible driver. That couldn't be said when I was having my Yamaha. In those days, I couldn't tolerate anyone overtaking me. Now I have mellowed down a lot.

I did 2 test drives in the Scorpio (one in Malleswaram, Bangalore & one on Mysore Road, Bangalore). Both went fine. Rather than testing my driving skills, I was able to correlate to reviews when I was driving.
Saarji you are buying one one 6 seat option with middle row captain seats or the one with middle row bench?

Captain seats do offer way better comfort on long journeys I must tell you.

The low set dashboard and window line of Scorpio always gives a brilliant all round visibility. Torque delivery is very linear and low end is simply awesome (likes of Ertiga simply can't match it). I would recommend you learn driving more using the torque instead of power. What does that mean? Simple, try to adjust your driving style in a way where you need to use the throttle as less as possible.

How to do this? Upshift as soon as possible and reach the fifth cog. Say 2000 rpm Max or maybe 1800 can be your up shifting point. This way you will enjoy a very smooth drive and the massive torque will impress you like nothing else under 25 lac can (I mean it, only Fortuner betters this feeling). Adjust your driving style this way and this relaxed monster will give you three advantages:
1) Smoother and more comfortable drive
2) 15+ kpl FE
3) Very less wear of clutch, tyres and other propulsion system mechanicals.

And yes, added impression of your family will be the bonus.

Recently I drove a Scorpio (owned by my partner) all the way from Lucknow to Vaishno Devi and back. Show this beast a hilly road or incline and you are impressed for sure. The overall fuel economy was over 13 kpl despite of we driving with moderate to heavy foot throughout the journey (did even 100 kph of hills and 160+ on highways). The SUV has already covered more than 40k kms and till date we haven't faced a single mechanical failure. Some minor electronic glitches came but nothing to worry about. This is when we guys are far from decent, such an abuse friendly vehicle the new Scorpio is. We have rallied on bad patches in midnight at even up to 100 kph, I don't remember if I ever drove over a speed breaker at lower than 60 kph and it simply passes the speed breaker with a thud. Service bills will range from 6k to 11k based on the type of service and parts replaced (if any).

Ehh, I had been a hardcore Scorpio basher and this one has left me impressed by every way. IMO this in itself says a lot, in fact I talked to a couple of reviewers and everyone of them was shockingly surprised by the vehicle. Some may say that I am going overboard; but to be very true, vey few vehicles have exceeded my expectations and new Scorpio is one of them.

Thread Starter #7
Welcome casual surfer. Wishing you for your new scorpio...
Thanks, nag2fat. Hoping to get delivery by end-Oct.
Saarji you are buying one one 6 seat option with middle row captain seats or the one with middle row bench?

Captain seats do offer way better comfort on long journeys I must tell you.

The low set dashboard and window line of Scorpio always gives a brilliant all round visibility. Torque delivery is very linear and low end is simply awesome (likes of Ertiga simply can't match it). I would recommend you learn driving more using the torque instead of power. What does that mean? Simple, try to adjust your driving style in a way where you need to use the throttle as less as possible.

How to do this? Upshift as soon as possible and reach the fifth cog. Say 2000 rpm Max or maybe 1800 can be your up shifting point. This way you will enjoy a very smooth drive and the massive torque will impress you like nothing else under 25 lac can (I mean it, only Fortuner betters this feeling). Adjust your driving style this way and this relaxed monster will give you three advantages:
1) Smoother and more comfortable drive
2) 15+ kpl FE
3) Very less wear of clutch, tyres and other propulsion system mechanicals.

And yes, added impression of your family will be the bonus.

Recently I drove a Scorpio (owned by my partner) all the way from Lucknow to Vaishno Devi and back. Show this beast a hilly road or incline and you are impressed for sure. The overall fuel economy was over 13 kpl despite of we driving with moderate to heavy foot throughout the journey (did even 100 kph of hills and 160+ on highways). The SUV has already covered more than 40k kms and till date we haven't faced a single mechanical failure. Some minor electronic glitches came but nothing to worry about. This is when we guys are far from decent, such an abuse friendly vehicle the new Scorpio is. We have rallied on bad patches in midnight at even up to 100 kph, I don't remember if I ever drove over a speed breaker at lower than 60 kph and it simply passes the speed breaker with a thud. Service bills will range from 6k to 11k based on the type of service and parts replaced (if any).

Ehh, I had been a hardcore Scorpio basher and this one has left me impressed by every way. IMO this in itself says a lot, in fact I talked to a couple of reviewers and everyone of them was shockingly surprised by the vehicle. Some may say that I am going overboard; but to be very true, vey few vehicles have exceeded my expectations and new Scorpio is one of them.
I have opted for 2+3+3 config. I have 2 children (one row for each of them to sleep comfortably). On most long drives, I guess its going to be fully loaded.

Great to know. I tried not to up-shift / downshift (in my test drives). It was exactly what I had read in the reviews. There is so much power available to you. Just put the pedal down & move on. Amazing surge of acceleration.

Wow, speed breakers at 60kmph. I am not sure if I ever push it so hard knowingly. I guess I will have to try to this to experience it.

That is awe inspiring. I guess I will be another proud owner (not until end-Oct, I suppose).

I do have these plans for accessories.
1. Stock seats are fabric. With 2 young children (many more in the immediate family), fabrics are a recipe for disaster in the making. I was thinking of getting seat covers done within a week or so.
2. Mats. Many in the forums have suggested 3M Nomad mats. I have to go to a 3M shop & see for myself before deciding.
3. Rain visers. I am non-religious. Hence the dealer told me that he will replace the idol (usually given) to rain visers. I am not sure about the looks though. If its bad enough, I am going to ask them to remove it.

Owners pride, all others envy!

Congrats CS on the Scorpio !

I had one for about 4 years and did more than 100k km without any problems. The nice part is that you don't have to negotiate every pot-hole and, like many have said before, you get good torque/power even in fourth gear - so driving is a pleasure. I was advised to idle for about 30 secs before switching off the engine -so that the turbo is protected.

All the best.

Thread Starter #9
Congrats CS on the Scorpio !

I had one for about 4 years and did more than 100k km without any problems. The nice part is that you don't have to negotiate every pot-hole and, like many have said before, you get good torque/power even in fourth gear - so driving is a pleasure. I was advised to idle for about 30 secs before switching off the engine -so that the turbo is protected.

All the best.
Thanks, AutoSphere. Will follow the advice diligently. I am not sure for what reason (30s idling), but I used to do this even on my Bullet 500!

Thanks, AutoSphere. Will follow the advice diligently. I am not sure for what reason (30s idling), but I used to do this even on my Bullet 500!
I follow this 30s idling before switching the engine off after a good long heavy footed drive.

Rest personally except the winters; I seldom idle the vehicle. Instead I start moving after 5-10 seconds of starting the engine and drive at low rpms' (say 1000-1200) for a minute max and then speed up. Same I follow before stopping, I drive at low rpms' at least 100-200 meters before my destination and once I am there; just switch off the engine.

Why so? Actually if I have to keep the engine at idle speed; then what's wrong in driving at idle engine speed for a minute? Beasts like Scorpio can do 35-40 kph at idle speed itself in higher gears; what's wrong in doing so then?

Welcome to the family buddy. That's a nice write up there!!. something tells me you can try your hands on writing logs which would be a interesting read. Did you say bull, i'm all ears would like to know more about the ownership of your vehicles do start a thread and keep us posted. also i'm sure you have gone through the forum rules and regulations if not, please do take a pit stop there and have a look. enjoy,wish you Happy miles ahead.

Thread Starter #12
I follow this 30s idling before switching the engine off after a good long heavy footed drive.

Rest personally except the winters; I seldom idle the vehicle. Instead I start moving after 5-10 seconds of starting the engine and drive at low rpms' (say 1000-1200) for a minute max and then speed up. Same I follow before stopping, I drive at low rpms' at least 100-200 meters before my destination and once I am there; just switch off the engine.

Why so? Actually if I have to keep the engine at idle speed; then what's wrong in driving at idle engine speed for a minute? Beasts like Scorpio can do 35-40 kph at idle speed itself in higher gears; what's wrong in doing so then?
I guess warmup for Engine & related parts are essential for smooth functioning over a long period of usage. 10-15s during startup & 30s before switch off should not affect the fuel consumption much.

But the most critical one would be NOT to rev hard for first 100-200mts (after an 8-hr++ break) & just before switching off the beast.

Since there are far too many opinions around on the interest, it will just be you & your comfort zone.

Welcome to the family buddy. That's a nice write up there!!. something tells me you can try your hands on writing logs which would be a interesting read. Did you say bull, i'm all ears would like to know more about the ownership of your vehicles do start a thread and keep us posted. also i'm sure you have gone through the forum rules and regulations if not, please do take a pit stop there and have a look. enjoy,wish you Happy miles ahead.
Thanks, incarnation. Yes, I do own a Bullet 500 (carburetor one) 2014 model. Never thought about writing an ownership report about it. Come to think of it, as far as I have seen, there are a lot of Classic 350s & Bullet 350s. But Bullet 500s (similarly Classic 500s) are not that many on the road in Bangalore. But with so many REs on the road, I thought the ownership report might not interest people. Will read other RE ownership threads. Let me see if I could think of a theme to introduce it.

Thread Starter #13
Just wanted to get your opinions.

Old price (29/09/15)
Ex-showroom after discount: 12,28,527/-
Road tax : 2,31,823/-
Ins(B2B) : 38,500/-
Ext Warranty : 19,038/-
Handling : Rs 10,000/-

New price (09/10/15): Is this justified?
Ex-showroom after discount: 12,40,236/-
Road tax : 2,34,033/-
Ins(B2B) : 38,500/-
Ext Warranty : 19,038/-
Handling : Rs 6,000/-

There is a net difference of Rs 9,919/-. I have already escalated handling charges issue. They said after the VIN is allotted I can re-nego with the manager.

Is the price difference justified in a festival season?

Thread Starter #14
Excited to share with you all that I will be taking the delivery of the vehicle (Mahindra Scorpio S10, 8 seater, 2WD, Mist Silver) next week.

Will consult many of you & start an initial ownership report (if everything goes well).

Top Bottom