Introduction : Finally a TAI'n!

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am Nikunj Sharma, 19 at heart, and obsessed with a passion for cars. Cars, and for that matter anything with wheels and an engine, have never failed to excite me since I was a child. I found TAI Forums some years back and I have been hooked since! After reading numerous threads by TAI'ns (like Saroya's Alto DIY thread, Allhyundaicars' Review, Akash1886's informative reads, TSIVipul's P220 and Storme Reviews, and many more!), I finally decided to land into this enthusiast's nirvana some days back, to gain and share automotive knowledge in the forums!

Disclaimer : This would be my first thread here, so suggestions and comments are welcome for improving. I have a very formal way of writing (with complete sentences, paragraphs, headings, etc) and I hope that would be fine with you guys! Also, it would be an extremely long read, so keep you popcorns ready!

About Me

As mentioned in advance, I am Nikunj. I am from Faridabad, a town in NCR region. I am doing my graduation from a university here and also preparing for CA. Infact, I will be giving the IPCC attempt this year! My family stays in Gurgaon and I have moved to Faridabad (or rather the reverse, my family had moved to Gurgaon). I was born in Faridabad, have grown up here and have many memories associated with this place. The attatchment with this wonderful city was the primary reason to stay here when my family moved to our new house in Gurgaon in 2013, just after I had given my Class XII Board examinations in March. I had the option to quit Faridabad entirely by taking up admission in a university in Gurgaon and attending CA coaching classes from Gurgaon only. But, fate had something else in store for us, especially me! I was the only one in my family of three (Mum, Dad and Me) reluctant to leave the city. The busy streets, the ill-mannered drivers, the hyperactive bikers, the rowdy pedestrians and (how can one miss) the non-existent roads in Faridabad felt homely to me than the superb infra, law & order and the traffic sense of Gurgaon, that had impressed my family. We had a small business in Faridabad and, quite unexpectedly, it was performing at a no-profit-no-loss situation for over an year from the time we moved to Gurgaon. It was located in Greater Faridabad (Neharpar Area) where the development scene was not that great. In early 2013, the infra and development scene started gathering pace in the Greater Faridabad region and within 3 months, the forests and villages that surrounded the workplace had been turned to proper cemented roads, with proper drainage and plenty of housing projects had been started. Starting another factory was on the cards, after we move to Gurgaon, which was scheduled in mid-2013. But, the increasing demand and decreasing expenses of our business in Faridabad gave Dad the courage to continue the work here also. In the meantime, my result was declared. I had scored average, and strictly average at that (67% to be precise)! The only good private college I could find was in Faridabad and I was able to convince the family that I'll stay here in Faridabad, for my studies and Dad's business. A new dyeing factory was opened in Gurgaon and the woodwork factory we had in Faridabad was also operating side-by-side. We had decided that I will stay in a portion of our Faridabad house and rent the rest of it. I would look after basic works of the factory in Faridabad and would visit Mum and Dad in Gurgaon every 2 weeks. Also, Dad keeps visiting me in Faridabad to look after the factory. This decision had all of us delighted, thanks to the CA (had that loyal fellow not given the suggestion to operate 2 factories simultaneously, I would have been in Gurgaon!) I am extremely delighted as I am in touch with all my childhood friends and I have the reason (the undergraduate degree) to stay here for atleast the 3 years to come!

Okay okay, I agree with you, that was a boring read. But, let me be clear, I am an 'extremely' (yes, extra stress on that word) humorous person and you will enjoy reading my threads! I apologize for any mistakes I have made due to my poor English! (I have tried my best to make this an interesting read anyhow) Though, due to my talkative nature, I end up writing super-long articles. And, I had warned you beforehand.

About My Cars

I was in 3rd or 4th standard, when I had collected 12 RC cars (with all functions like headlights, taillights, turn, accelerate, brake, reverse, indicators, etc.) and discovered my interest in these interesting and involving pieces of machinery. Grew up and made a lot of friends! Some were really sick of my passion while others were enthusiasts themselves. Our first car was a humble M800, back in the year 2005. At that time, Dad was the only user, so the M800 fulfilled all our needs. In the coming years, Mum got a teaching job and needed a car, due to the crazy summers we have in Delhi. Before the M800, we had a Splendour and a scooter, which were together sold at the time when we bought the car. We lost a relative in 2006 due to an accident, after which my parents were strictly against two wheelers. I was also not a bit interested in bikes, and we haven't owned a two wheeler since then. No, I didn't ride two wheelers in my school days either. We sold the M800 in 2008 and got two new cars, not on the same day, but the same week. We got an SX4 Zxi and an Alto Lxi in December 2008. Then, I got a Toyota Liva GD SP in November when I got my driving license, as I needed a workhorse basically with excellent drivability. The SX4 is still serving us very well even now although that was not the case with our beloved Alto. As my Mum is not that good at driving, the Alto's suspension and bodywork condition had deteriorated by the year 2014. We got the bodywork done and sold the car to a known person, as he was passionate about owning one and was offering a price double that of Maruti TruValue evaluation. A Dzire Zxi was bought to replace the Alto in August 2014.

All our cars are silver! Basic rule by Dad "Gaadi Silver, Mobile Black and Watch Gold". The Dzire is very sparingly used and had covered only 3500 kms till now. Although the SX4 was bought as a highway-cruncher, it has seen only 25500 kms in these years, and most of it on highways. We have been to Chandigarh, Punjab, Dehradun, Uttrakhand, Agra, Rohtak and Neemrana in our SX4. My Liva has covered 28700 kms and has been through most of Delhi (along with twice a month trips to Gurgaon, trips to Punjab, Chandigarh, Rohtak, Agra, Neemrana, Noida, Uttrakhand and Dehradun) to achieve this milestone. I have a passion for ICE and accessories as well, and only I have this passion in my family! Our other cars are stock, except a few basic add-ons. I got the MGA reverse camera fitted in the SX4, after a lot of haggling and arguments with Dad (and I agree he was right when he said "It is overpriced at 10k"). My Liva, is a completely different thing from the inside, and looks stock from the outside! All the safety features were present in my SP variant, the exteriors were decent according to me. Added a spoiler at Toyota dealership to enhance the rear look, that's all on the outside. On the inside, I got seat covers, mats, door sills, LED conversion (for outside bulbs as well), magnetic sunshades, MMI GPS, reverse camera (without the irritating sensors), footwell lighting, and many other small things. Also got ICE done at Decora, Faridabad. The setup includes JBL MS Series Components up front, JBL Converter, Fusion wiring, RF1400T Basstube and a JBL amp on the Toyota HU. Also got the damping done for front doors and boot 2-3 months back. I had a JBL GTX1200 Sub earlier but had to sell it because the basstube is a lot more tidier when I have to move articles (wood articles, machines, etc.) in the car, with the rear seat folded down. I have also got HIDs in headlamps from P8, to make my night drives more pleasing and safer. I use low-beam mostly and have aligned the headlamp cluster to the lowest level to reduce glares for oncoming traffic. I do switch back to Halogens during rains, it is just a 30 minute DIY job! I am a DIY guy also, having successfully done projector retrofits in friends' cars and doing most of the ICE install in my car myself.

About My Username

It is Niku! And sound much like the movie 'Piku', but draws relation with my nickname at home. No bollywood stuff here! I couldn't find anything better when I thought for a short and easy-to-remember username. The fact that the username was available made the decision even more simpler.

About My Other Interests

My interests include music, animals and travel. I have been fond of music, equally in my car as well as home. Though, due to the limited time I spend at home, the interest for home audio has taken a backseat. Earlier, my interest was in the destination but now the journey has an equal share in the excitement for travel. I have travelled to many places in my Liva and every drive has been an enjoyable one. One thing strange in me is that I like to travel alone! Yes, me and my car, connected, well calibrated drive, mild music supported with the burble of the engine and a soothing drive! No double meaning here though! I am a normal guy, have a girlfriend and love both my
girlfriend and Liva equally (or maybe not, hope she isn't reading). I have driven to many places all alone in my car, and have ended in some scary encounters also, which I will create an interesting thread about. In addition to these interests, I have a soft corner for animals in my heart. I have a labrador with me in my Faridabad house and a german shepherd in the Gurgaon house. I have been connected with animals from the beginning, maybe due to the way I was brought up...not teasing animals, being very kind to these poor speechless creatures. I have also been involved in saving lives of many dogs involved in accidents and getting them treated (8, till now) at my friend's clinic (his Dad is a vet). I have lost count of how many times I have seen these poor souls (leave aside dogs, cows, oxes, and even a horse) being tortured in major parts of the town, by the illeterate and literate people alike! Leave that aside, or you'll have to spend a couple of hours in front of the screen! Maybe, I'll open up a seperate thread to discuss about this matter.

Well, this was my introduction (though diverted to various topics now) and I don't think I have left anything while introducing myself to all you guys (and some girls, too?)!

See you in the forums!

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I am Nikunj Sharma, 19 at heart, I found TAI Forums some years back and I have been hooked since! After reading numerous threads by TAI'ns ..... Akash1886's informative reads, I finally decided to land into this enthusiast's nirvana some days back,
Quite a read Nikunj. Welcome aboard TAI, By far one of the longest introduction I read here. I am indeed humbled with your praise on my articles. Trust me, all my articles are simply about what I see in day to day commute. I am happy that its been useful read. Shall write out more such articles in coming times.

I have a very formal way of writing (with complete sentences, paragraphs, headings, etc) and I hope that would be fine with you guys!
Absolutely, even our TAI protocol does say that. Avoid usage of SMS language.[clap].

Have a great time here and looking forward for interacting with you here dear.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4
Welcome aboard TAI, By far one of the longest introduction I read here.
To be true, I had expected at least one reply saying that![lol]

I am indeed humbled with your praise on my articles. Trust me, all my articles are simply about what I see in day to day commute. I am happy that its been useful read. Shall write out more such articles in coming times.
Sir, your contribution to this forum is indeed worth the appreciation! I have read many of your articles (the latest 'Road Thefts' one also) and have found extreme dedication and knowledge from your side. Your profile says "Join Date: Sep 2014 and Posts: 2112" That itself speaks volumes![clap]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Sir, your contribution to this forum is indeed worth the appreciation! I have read many of your articles (the latest 'Road Thefts' one also) and have found extreme dedication and knowledge from your side. Your profile says "Join Date: Sep 2014 and Posts: 2112" That itself speaks volumes!
I am really thankful to you Nikunj for the humble praise dear. Ya I joined in September last year and yes the journey had been quite fast. All thanks to the team I have here to support me. All of the members have equal share in the appreciation that I get. I shall make sure that my level and quality of contribution can be better in future and I can contribute in the best interest of all here.

Nikunj, always remember, what ever you do, be it studies or anything in life, make sure you do with interest and always make it a point to live your passion.

Regards

Akash

Hi Niku! Welcome to TAI family Buddy [clap].
I liked your writing style bro, very interesting and salute to your love toward animals .
With best wishes, expecting your active participation here in TAI and waiting for your interesting write ups about your experiences [:D]

Last edited:
@Niku:
Itna Lamba!!! [;)] Err... no double meanings here of course :stupid:
Saarji accept my bow because you remember what I don't! My P220. It loked good when I was home some days back and have been to Mussorie and Bhangarh on the same motorcycle. That puts two travelogues in the list of pending items; long list I am living with I must say.
Your intro was really good and I haven't yet slept! Well, that proves that I am also blessed with metallic brains. (Like we say in Haryana, "Ghano Lambo Sae, Par Chokkho Sae; Majo ko Majo, ar Intro ko Intro")
Two questions I have:
Why not Liva 1.5? Heck, why nobody buys it? (It is discontinued though)
Why SX4 but not City?

Thread Starter #8
Itna Lamba!!! Err... no double meanings here of course
[lol] I am a fan of your sense of humour brother!

Saarji accept my bow because you remember what I don't! My P220. It loked good when I was home some days back and have been to Mussorie and Bhangarh on the same motorcycle. That puts two travelogues in the list of pending items; long list I am living with I must say.
Waiting for a nice long report on these trips, with lots of pictures to compliment as well.

Your intro was really good and I haven't yet slept! Well, that proves that I am also blessed with metallic brains. (Like we say in Haryana, "Ghano Lambo Sae, Par Chokkho Sae; Majo ko Majo, ar Intro ko Intro")
Again, [lol].

Two questions I have:
Why not Liva 1.5? Heck, why nobody buys it? (It is discontinued though)
Why SX4 but not City?
I wanted a diesel hatchback with good cabin space, with reliability and toughness being my primary requirement. I had driven the Liva 1.2 and 1.5, Liva Diesel and the Etios 1.5 as well. The 1.5L motor impressed me in both the Etios and the Liva. I had estimated my running to more than 1k kms per month, so I decided on the diesel version. If I would have wanted petrol, then nothing would have come to my mind except Liva 1.5 (the Swift 1.2 being underpowered and Polo being a VW). Moreover, the excitement to move to a diesel (first diesel in family) kept me happy and content with what I was getting.

The SX4 was a family decision, with my advice taken only for color choice (I wanted black), and that too was neglected! Our family had owned Maruti cars only (even our relatives) and Dad wasn't ready for anything other than a Maruti. Choice was between Dzire and SX4 but the bulky wheel arches and high GC (along with better interiors) helped the SX4 to make its way to our garage!

Top Bottom