Howdy (Namaskar Mandali in My Mother Tongue) TAI!!

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys! This is my first post on TAI. I am really looking forward to interacting with fellow enthusiasts and hope to be an active member of the forum for many years to come.

So a bit about myself - My name is Kedar Bindu and I am basically from Aurangabad, Maharashtra (born and brought up). But right now I am settled in Pune because of my job. I am software professional and have just completed 5 years.

I was introduced to road tripping at a very early age. I remember going to Ellora caves, Daulatabaad, and Khultabad (spots nearby Aurangabad) with my parents, on a Kinetic Honda. I used to stand in the front, hold onto the handle and feel as if I am riding the Honda myself. That feeling and joy of motoring stuck and I would ride tricycles all day, would ride my bicycle every day to school after 5th and roam around in our colony after coming home. I can still vividly remember the feeling of wind in my hairs and an empty road ahead.

The Two wheelers

Because I was such a nutcase for anything on wheels, my grandfather got me a Bajaj sunny even before I turned 18. I later graduated to TVS scooty, which was actually supposed to be for my younger brother. I was on an HH splendour during junior college and upgraded to the first version of the digital Bajaj Pulsar during my engineering days. Going to school, college, classes was just an excuse to go for a ride on my pride possession so I rarely missed classes.

The cars: starting with a Fiat

My Grandfather was a civil surgeon and owned a Fiat from the early batches that were introduced in India. Don’t remember much about that car, except that its battery was always discharged, and was connected to a plug point for recharging all the time.

Maruti 800 (2nd generation, the one with square headlights)

Later my dad upgraded to a Maruti 800. Going to my aunt’s place in Pune, in the 800 used to be an occasion. Since there were 5 adults in the car already, my seat used to be on top of the handbrake, on a makeshift seat of pillow and blankets. I probably concentrated on the road as hard as my father did, who would be in the driver’s seat. We used to talk about whether we can overtake a truck (the roads were single lane back then and overtaking required meticulous planning and calculations).
Back in those days, my dad used to take me on a nearby ground, and allow me to steer the car while he operated the clutch and accelerator. I was fascinated by the steering wheel of a car and used to play with it a lot when I was young.

Tata Indica DLE

I was on the driver’s seat the moment I could press the clutch fully. We had the Tata Indica back then. This was from the very first batch. My father booked the car and got selected in the lottery that Tata conducted. It took nearly a year for that car to arrive though. But ours was the second Indica in Aurangabad. I still didn’t have a driver’s license, so my driving was limited to empty grounds and reversing, parking the car in our driveway. I got my driver’s license on this very Indica. But by then, it was more than 5 years old, and my father was scared of the diesel maintenance which might start rearing its ugly head (people’s perception of a diesel was still very bad back then). So he shifted to a Santro.

Hyundai Santro Xing

When my father booked the Tata, he had finalized the first generation Santro. But this was dropped when we got selected in the Indica lottery. So finally after 5 and a half years, when the Xing was just launched in the market , we sold the Indica and bought a Santro. By this time I was a regular driver, and whenever I was in the car, I would be on the driver’s seat. Dad was only too happy to sit in the passenger seat!

Honda City Vtec (4th Generation, the one after the dolphin)

Santro was sold rather quickly, in a year and 2 or 3 months. It only had 12000 KM on the odo. My father felt the car was underpowered and needed something powerful for the highway. The City was just upgraded, and was again available with a 100 BHP Vtec motor. Looking at the cult status of the first 2 generation of VTecs, we went for the top end Honda City Vtec (chrome tipped exhaust and all). This was a great car to drive on the highway, which were getting better compared to what they were earlier. Very comfortable seats, butter smooth engine that loved to rev, fuel efficient at the same time. The only grouse I had with the car was the steering wheel, which was akin to a video game console wheel. It was very light and lacked feel and felt disconnected from the road.

My very first car – The Ford Figo diesel ZXi

It was my dream to buy a car from my first salary. Of course, that would have been impossible, given that I didn’t graduate from IIM or IIT. But I had a full-fledged plan of saving enough to buy my first car as soon as possible. As my parents were not dependent on my salary, and I didn’t have a Girlfriend, I managed to save considerable amount of money very quickly. The moment I had enough, I emptied by bank account, took a small loan and got my very first car, a Ford Figo. I was always a fan of the Ford cars and had heard that they are great to drive. True to its reputation, the Figo had one of the best steering wheel this side of a BMW, it handled amazingly well, was extremely stable on the highway and had a decent ride quality. The diesel had a very small turbo lag and was sufficiently powerful. I clocked 45000 KM in three years before selling it (the reason is a completely different story, probably for some other time)

Then there was a lull of 6 months, when I used my father’s car (who had upgraded to a VW Vento TDi highline) or my brother’s Honda Brio.

My second car, the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga VDi

I am now a proud owner of a Maruti Suzuki Ertiga VDi, Granite Gray. I got the delivery on 27th June 2014. While researching for the car, I went through almost all of the ownership threads on TAI that really helped me decide on the car. It also inspired me to join the gang and share my views, ownership experience general enthusiasm for all things automobiles. An extensive ownership review coming up shortly!

Nice Intro, a very warm welcome to TAI - have a nice time here and look forward to your ownership review.

Best Regards
IR

350Z

Core Team
Heartiest welcome to The Automotive India, Kedar. That's a heartwarming story of upgrading to better cars. Congrats on the latest acquisition. We sure look forward to more such interesting posts from your end in future. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our staff if you need any support relate to the website. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4
That's a heartwarming story of upgrading to better cars.
350Z
all of them were my father's (except the Figo and the latest on, the Ertiga), but I didn't treat them like that [:)]!

Thanks for the warm welcome Iron Rock and 350Z! Working on the ownership review, will post it soon.

Thanks,
Kedar

Welcome to TAI kedar and congratulations on your figo and ertiga ownerships.
Looking forward to hear more about your ownership in its related thread.
Enjoy your stay.

RAM RAM PAVHNA.. [;)] (It was a way greeting in older days in Marathi movies)

Welcome onboard Kedar.

Nice way of introduction. [thumbsup]

Have a good time and share your ownership reivew as well.[:)]

Welcome Kedar good to see one more Punekar on the site. Pune count is growing nicely it would be nice to have meets now

Thread Starter #13
Welcome Kedar. Nice to see 1 more LUV joined the team. :)

PUNE LUV owners meet discussion is going on here...

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...726-pune-ertiga-tai-gers-unofficial-meet.html
Thanks a lot Kalinga! I will definitely try to come! I have just become a proud father and usually head to Miraj (my wife's home town) on the weekend. But I cant go there on every weekend so hoping that I can make it. By the way, I read your ownership thread and it really helped me in making a decision

RAM RAM PAVHNA.. [;)] (It was a way greeting in older days in Marathi movies)

Welcome onboard Kedar.

Nice way of introduction. [thumbsup]

Have a good time and share your ownership reivew as well.[:)]
RAM RAM PAVHNA!

@kokantrip, @AutoRock, @KnightRider, @Vijay, Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks bro I am surely going to be there for one more bang [;)]
Definitly bro...will do that... :)

Thanks a lot Kalinga! I will definitely try to come! I have just become a proud father and usually head to Miraj (my wife's home town) on the weekend. But I cant go there on every weekend so hoping that I can make it. By the way, I read your ownership thread and it really helped me in making a decision

RAM RAM PAVHNA!

@kokantrip, @AutoRock, @KnightRider, @Vijay, Thanks for the welcome!
Glad to know that my review helped you for your buying process. [:)]
lets meet at the pune meet.

Top Bottom