I Deserve, Because...I Desire and I Dream

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,
My name is Vikram and friends often call me Sam.
I am proud owner of Maruti 800 (1986) and Zen Estilo (2008), both of the cars are adopted as Invalid vehicles, because I am 100% disable and both of my legs do not work.
My childhood was much like as the normal kid, except for the fact that I use to watch other kids playing in playgrounds of my School and my Colony and day dreaming that I am driving a bicycle or a bike with my best friends, who often gives me ride on their bicycles.
Word 'Dream' was important for me in true sense as I grow up with desire to fly an Airplane, because of the fact that my father was Aeronautical Engineer in HAL and with all kind of Aircraft's around me. Simple Dream was to fly an aircraft and at-least drive a 4x4 in Himalayan Rally.
With time, that dream became a passion for me and when I was in 9th class, I got my first Engine powered Tricycle, and that was TVS 50 moped converted to my needs with 3rd wheel. I was not satisfied with the performance of that trike as it was under powered vehicle which overheats often. So my engineering started with modifying that trike so that the looks of that trike should suits my personality and passion, also it should give the performance.
I spend next 3-4 years modifying that trike with the fabricator of that trike in Kanpur, however, with no proven results. Later the engine was replaced with Kinetic Spark 50 CC motor, and so the entire structure, which was designed and fabricated by me in 1992. But I lost that trike in Delhi in 1994 in accident.
I later years, I designed as add on unit for my Girnar Leo 150 scooter, which was a big failure, and also a trike which was famous as 'BUGGY' in Kanpur, derived from same 'Girnar Leo 150 scooter'.
In 1997, I designed a side car for my LML Select scooter, which was remain my best friend till 2006.
In 2006, after much efforts, and confusion, I decided that is time to switch on to car for basic needs, but the question was, how to adopt that car to my needs?
One of my relative in Delhi offered his 1986 Maruti 800 to me in just 25K, so that I can convert and test that car my use.
On 27th March 2006, I bought that car to Mohali (Chandigarh) from Delhi, and spend 2 sleepless nights thinking that how to convert that car. On 30th morning, I approached one of the car mechanic, who was known to my friend.
I discussed all my designs and experience with that guy, initially he refused to start working on that car as he was not sure if the idea that I bought will work or not, but later he agreed to work on my risk.
We started working on the car on 31st March 2006 morning with all the dreams in my eyes which was as old as me. The basic design was to shift the Accelerator pedal to left (I can press lightly with my left leg), modify the break pedal with a long curved pipe, so that I could use the break with my right hand and plant a clutch lever on that pipe, just like we have on bike. Entire motor market was gathered at that place, betting that if the system will work or not.
After 6 hours of painful work, I was ready to test the car, we fired the engine, I pressed the Accelerator pedal thinking that its now or never... and... it worked.
Next was to test the clutch, I pressed the clutch lever with my hand, and engaged the 1st gear, the car was stand still, vola...., that what we want....the mob in the market started shouting and congratulating me that we made it.
I took the first test drive with mechanic around the market.
With minor adjustments, the car started talking to me, saying that, dear, time is yours now...fly where ever you want with me. I was so happy with the results, we tested the system and the car for another 4-5 hours on the wide open roads of Mohali/Chandigarh.
I drove this car around Shiwalik foothills and on various highways and clocked 50,000 KM in just 2 years. This 800 is still with me, and waiting for restoration program.
In mid 2008 I purchased Zen Estilo and adopted the same time tested system. With my new friend, I drove around 'Rohtang Pass' (3 times), Jalori Pass and various other destinations in Himachal, Uttrakhand, and entire North India. After 60000 KM's, Estilo is still a hot knife in butter.
Now the next dream and desire is to own a 4x4 SUV and travel Khardung La Pass and entire length - breadth of the country.
You will find it silly or you may say, what so special in all this, but for me, these are the mile stones of my life, when I lived up my dreams and dreaming to live longer with my dreams.
I will post the pics of my trike and adaptations in my car, if you wish to see my achievements.

Re: I Deserve, because... I Desire and I Dream

Simply Amazing!! i enjoyed reading each and every word. This is not a simple post my friend. Each line speaks your emotions. Congratulations for fulfilling your dreams and all the best for your future endeavors [:)]

And yes we want to see all your achievements. Plzz post the pics [:)]

Hats off, buddy!

While most are dreaming in our beds, you are living your dream... I sincerely hope you do the Khardung La Pass pretty soon.

The roads are open, my friend, keep those wheels rolling...

Thread Starter #4

Hi Friends,

Thanks to all my friends for such a nice comments on my first post.
My only idea to join this forum is to get help from our Gurus regarding my future projects. My knowledge is limited and I need new solutions to adopt the systems.
My future projects includes a Trike, with Enfeild Bullet chassis and Maruti Van's 800 CC engine + differential. Another project is either a Gypsy or a Jeep and convert it to my specifications. So far the biggest hurdle is hydraulic clutch modification, as I have to modify it to hand operated one.
If you have ideas and drawings, certainly all of you will be a big help for me.
I will post the pics of my cars and trike soon.
Cheers!!

Sam Hats off to you man .You are the person with lot of dedication . Sad to hear about your injury . Hope you drive safely and .best of luck for success in your life .

Sam welcome to the TAI Family we all feel privileged to have you among us.
Have not seen anyone as determined as you.
I sincerely hope you do the Khardung La Pass .

Welcome to TAI SAM, we are proud to have you among us,

its dreams that makes once desire, if we have fear in mind we will fall down, if we have hopes and dare to do attitude you will get it

will wait for you to post where you are posing with your 4 x 4 after conquering Khardung La Pass

Sam welcome to TAI, hats off to your enthusiasm. Have a nice time here.

Welcome to the forum SAM, Hats off to your power of living the dreams. [clap]
I am glad to find an Automotive Enthusiast like you and I'll try my best to help you with ideas.
The clutch can be fitted on the gear lever. I'll post the diagrams soon. The brakes can be the same as your Maruti 800
Also the accelerator can be modified into a notched lever. I am trying to make a solenoid controlled cruise control for my car. If it succeeds then I'll surely tell you about that.

Saini sahab, welcome to The Automotive India!

Glad that you discoverd that entrepreneurship is the cure for all disabilities[cheers].

Have a great time here. Looking forward to more threads from you.

Regards,
Sam

@Sam***Zlander*** : I have no words to appreciate the WILLPOWER you have. Hats off to the effort and believe me not many of us do a 50K mark in 2 years. Hope to see the detailed pics of the pedal mods you did.

Hats off Sam***Zlander*** .

The words which you typed above is not a words, it shows your passion and DREAM in front of our Eyes.

I'm sure that, you will make a trip to length and breath of the country with your Dream SUV very soon.

Sam, Welcome to TAI family. Salute to your determiations and wish all your dreams come true. We will pour as much as information need for your future ventures. All the best.

Top Bottom