Warm greetings to everybody. I am Simple_car from Bombay (Mumbai- sorry but I like the British name better).
I am a doctor by profession, and a petrol head by passion. I eat, sleep and drink cars. Besides cars, I am active only in the medicine community. Otherwise, I am generally regarded as a recluse by all my friends and family. I spend all my free time reading books and maintaining my cars.
Coming to cars, as of now I don't own my personal ride as yet, but am responsible for maintaining all of family rides. So, I have a good know how about the functioning and maintenance of cars in general. My family rides are as follows:
1. Chevrolet Spark: 2007 model, done 90K kms as on date. The car I learnt to drive in, it holds a special place in my heart.
2. Ford figo: 2010 model, done 30K kms. My dads primary ride, its the titanium diesel. My favorite ride as well.
3. Mahindra bolero camper: bought in 2010, its done 2.5 lakh kms till date. Its a heavily abused vehicle and serves dad in his small hobby. Its got the DI engine, which although is archaic as far as tech is concerned, but its a very abuse friendly engine. I generally get to see it only once a year, that too when its maintenance time. So you get the idea that its serviced at 25k-30k kms interval (not recommended at all, but I have no choice as far this is concerned. I try my best to keep it in shape)
4. New ford fiesta dct: My mom's ride. Done 10k till date. Its an excellent car, but just doesn't pull my heart strings. But its the only car I prefer to drive when I have to, largely due to the A/T convenience.
Apart from the above cars which we own, I personally am caretaker of 7 other cars of friends and extended family. I get allotted an annual budget for the maintenance of all these vehicles (includes 7 other cars as well). Its not a generous budget either
(you see, my parents believe strongly that a vehicle shouldn't require any maintenance at all, they prefer to let the authorized service centers loot them, and sell off the car in 5 years). But thanks to my interest in automobiles I now can proudly say, that in spite of a strict budget, my cars are simply superb mechanically. Although I have to compromise as far as the looks are concerned (read --> dents, dings and scratches), I hope to close the gap in the near future (read--> 5-6 years, I have to fight for a higher allotment for car care every year in the budget you see
A little more about myself:
1. I am a firm believer of long term car ownership, and I love cars of 70's and 80's era a lot more than the new ones which are rolled out from factories today.
2. I prefer a well engineered car (read--> german), than a feature loaded and a aesthetically beautiful one.
3.The modifying bug hasn't yet bitten me yet, since I thoroughly research about anything that might go into my car, and as of yet, I haven't devoted enough time to understand the pro's and con's of modifying a car.
4. I actually don't drive around much. I prefer to walk or catch a train. Hate travelling by buses, auto-rickshaws or taxis. Most of the mileage in the cars is put up by my family and extended family. However, I love long drives:)
5. Am not into photography as well, prefer to enjoy the scenes through my eyes and imprint them into my memory rather than see through the lens and then spend a lot of time photo shopping to make the same photo a little bit better (no offense to enthusiasts, my own brother is into photography)
Hope to share my car ownership and maintenance experience with all of you here. You will find me more active in the technical section and the maintaining my ride section.
Thanks for reading,