Disabled F1 Marshall Tries for Scooter World Record

Thread Starter #1
A racing marshall who lost a leg at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2000 is to attempt to set a World Record for the distance travelled by a mobility scooter in 24 hours.

Steve Tarrant, 51 from Poole in Dorset will make the attempt at the 2012 Mobility Roadshow (Peterborough Arena, 21-23 June), starting at 2pm on 21 June 2012. Steve lost a leg above the knee and suffered multiple injuries when an F1 racing car collided with him at 100mph whilst marshalling on the finish line at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. He still marshals at around 30-40 motorsport events per year such as the Le Mans 24 Hours, Petit Le Mans at Atlanta and Goodwood meetings.

Steve will be using a TGA mobility scooter similar to the one he uses on a daily basis. He will be simultaneously raising funds for two charities – Accessible Motorsport who help less able individuals enjoy racing and the charity associated with TGA at the Mobility Roadshow (Stand B19), the Royal British Legion (Stand OS40).

The current Guinness World Record for 'The Greatest distance covered in 24 hours by a mobility scooter' stands at 247.84 km (154 miles), which was achieved in 13 hours 50 minutes by Jackie Weeden on 15 May 2011. Steve intends to smash this record as he explains: "Since surviving my horrific ordeal at Goodwood, I have always had a steely determination and thrive on a challenge, I am so up for this!"

Attachments

kudos to that man! well he deserves that accolade..spirit of auto enthusiasts never dies! [clap]

Top Bottom