Michael Shumacher is Back!

Thread Starter #1
Michael Schumacher will return to Formula 1 in 2010, after Mercedes GP confirmed that the seven-time world champion is joining its team next year.

Schumacher has signed a one-year deal to join Mercedes GP for next season, marking an F1 comeback after three years on the sidelines. Extension of the arrangement for additional years will be dependant on the 41-year-olds' performance. Although he will be the oldest driver on the grid when the season kicks off in Bahrain, Schumacher said on that he is not coming back simply to have fun.

"It is a team that has won both championships this year," he said. "With Mercedes Benz as a strong partner, our aim can only be to fight for the championship. There will be strong competition, as we have seen, but I am thrilled to be back in this one."

Schumacher originally retired from F1 at the end of 2006, and he had appeared fully content to be away from the pressures and strains of racing in motor sport's top category. He maintained links with F1 through an ambassadorial role with Ferrari, and his on-track activities revolved around outings in a kart and a move to motorcycle racing.

However, last season Schumacher agreed to a comeback as a temporary stand-in for the injured Felipe Massa at Ferrari. Despite training hard for the return, however, Schumacher's plans had to be called off due to a neck injury that he had sustained in a motorcycle crash earlier this year.
The events of the summer appeared to have rekindled his enthusiasm for F1 and when Brawn GP failed to conclude a deal with world champion Jenson Button for 2010, Schumacher was instantly installed as the favourite to replace him.

The deal could not be concluded until Schumacher's neck was given the all-clear by doctors but once that happened, talks advanced quickly to seal the deal.

Schumacher's move to Mercedes GP marks a reunion between himself and the German car maker that helped push him into F1. He raced for Mercedes-Benz as part of its junior driver programme, competing in world sportscar events during 1990 and 1991.
Schumacher's decision means that Mercedes GP will field an all-German driver line-up in 2010, having already confirmed several weeks ago that Nico Rosberg will race for it.

source; www.autocarindia.com

Attachments

Not that I need a reason to celebrate, but this really great news!!
My fav. driver ... attitude, and a sense of humour and AMAZING racing skills!!
-----------Next Post-----------
Text of the interview that appeared in AutoCar.uk

Following the sensational announcement that Michael Schumacher will race for Mercedes F1 next season, he took time to explain his decision to end his three-year retirement.

What has motivated you to come back?

The motivation I think is pretty straightforward - the call I got from Ross [Brawn] at the end of November concerning the chance in my hand to go racing. Having this phone call from him, and the circumstances of Mercedes-Benz being involved as the owner, I felt great.

I never left the race track. I was tired of F1 by the end of 2006...but after three years of absence I have been getting back all the energy that I am feeling right now. I played around with motorbikes, and I feel ready for some serious stuff now.

What is the situation with your neck?

It is obviously a topic where I understand the question, and I want to understand myself. Before I gave the final okay, I made sure that I worked it out myself to be sure myself. And I can say 100 percent that the neck is no further an issue.

Unfortunately it was too close to the accident in the summer when I tried for Ferrari, but time now is enough for it have healed completely. And everything I've done, I can do. I have used machines that I used to use with no problem.

Do you feel that you have the same speed as before, and that single-minded purpose to race wheel-to-wheel with the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso.

I am absolutely confident on this one...when I got into a kart for the first time after my [motorcycle] crash I was straight away on the pace. I have to prove it in real terms, but going wheel-to-wheel with these guys will be thrilling and exciting. It is something I look for - and the great thing is to get support from the outside. They have no doubt about my ability.

What does it mean for you to leave Ferrari and join Mercedes-Benz?

This has not been an easy step, honestly. I have lots of friends at Ferrari after the 14 years that I have been working there, and have good memories of my Ferrari days.

I think the only reason I sort of seriously thought about my return was because of old friends who asked me. We also had a situation where Mercedes-Benz gave me the chance to enter F1 and over the years it was never possible [to race for them]. Finally now a combination of Ross and Mercedes makes it possible to work together and I am happy to be able to give something to Mercedes after the early days.

You have a phenomenal reputation after all your success in F1. Do you not worry it will be put on the line next year, and people will not judge you on what you did before?

I hope they will judge me on what we have done before - and I am going into this exercise with the same opinion. It [Mercedes GP} is a team that has won both championships this year - and we have Mercedes as a strong partner. Our aim can only be to fight for the championship. There will be strong competition, as we have seen, but I am thrilled to be back into this one.

Did you ask your family about your F1 plans - did you consult your wife and kids?

Obviously. It is natural that you have to sort out the personal situation before you enter this one. Everyone was thrilled - and the wife has always been keen to see everyone happy. She didn't really argue at all - she wanted to have fun.

How long will you drive for Mercedes-Benz?

We are talking about a three-year deal. It is not a one-off thing. We are obviously looking for continuation.

What have been the factors in you deciding to make an F1 comeback now? In the past you have said you did not have much interesting in returning.

I was out of energy by the end of 2006. I needed this time off. I wasn’t thinking about coming back, and I could not have imagined what would happen. I played around in many areas and had a lot of fun. But due to the special combination [now], I thought why not?

How would you rate your chances of being champion again - and who are your biggest rivals?

Normally you have to mention the four teams that fought for the top positions this year. They will be the ones fighting again next year. It will be a tight fight - but people have trust in me.

Do you think the competition in F1 is tougher now than it was three years ago?

It is probably more tight. But tougher? No, why? There have always been tough drivers.

Have you been in the Brawn GP simulator yet, and what are you expecting from the new generation of F1 cars?

No, I have not been in the simulator, other than my personal one - the personal training machine that I have. The cars will be slightly different, but I have been in so many different characters of cars over the years, and a strong part of myself is that I am able to adapt to whatever the circumstances are.

If there had been no space at Mercedes GP for next year, was there another option. Did McLaren offer you anything?

I think there would have been no other teams seriously considered, no.

If you do come back and win races and the title, do you think that will be your greatest achievement?

It will be certainly a unique experience and a unique achievement. So let’s get behind the wheel first and talk later.

Last edited:
THATS A LOVELY NEWS![clap].I am overwhelmed.
I respect Senna the most in F1 as a legend than Schumi.But as a living legend of F1 in present world,there is nobody second to Michael Schumacher,as per his records and achievements.Hope he join Ferrari Team again.

THATS A LOVELY NEWS![clap].I am overwhelmed.
I respect Senna the most in F1 as a legend than Schumi.But as a living legend of F1 in present world,there is nobody second to Michael Schumacher,as per his records and achievements.Hope he join Ferrari Team again.
Well, against Senna would always be the fact that while he won, he always always had the best car on the grid ... his closest opponent was his team mate!!

Schumi's earlier titles, with Benetton and the early years with Ferrari saw him with a car that was miles behind the best on the grid, and he still won on sheer driver ability. By the time Ferrari had the best car on the grid, Schumi was invincible.

somehow i have always found mika hakkinen to be a better driver than shumi.
nevertheless, great news for shumi fans!
OOH!! The battle lines are drawn!!!
Well, I will be the first to admit that one of the greatest overtaking manoeuvres I have seen was Mika going ahead of Schumi in Belgium.
But Mika vs Schumi in a car that was comparable? No content!!
BTW, what with the Jap nickname?

OOH!! The battle lines are drawn!!!
Well, I will be the first to admit that one of the greatest overtaking manoeuvres I have seen was Mika going ahead of Schumi in Belgium.
But Mika vs Schumi in a car that was comparable? No content!!
BTW, what with the Jap nickname?
bring it on!! MIKA v SHUMI in the same car!!

P.S.--> I love japanese animes.[:D]

bring it on!! MIKA v SHUMI in the same car!!

P.S.--> I love japanese animes.[:D]
Real pity Mika left a lot before he needed to.

ps. I spent over 2 years in Japan, and could never figure out their fascination for the mangas.
BTW, you know what your nickname means?

350Z

Core Team
2010 Mercedes GP Unveiled In Stuttgart

Mercedes GP have unveiled the new silver and green colour scheme with which they will contest the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship. The team’s management and drivers Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg all attended the event, which was held at the Mercedes-Benz Museum in the German city of Stuttgart.

The new livery blends the German carmaker’s legendary ‘Silver Arrows’ heritage with the colours of the team’s title partner Petronas. As an additional reference to the Mercedes W25 of 1934, when the car’s white paint was scraped off to expose the shining alloy underneath, traces of black carbon fibre are visible on the nose of the MGP W01. The team’s 2010 car will make its track debut on 1st February when the first official Formula One test of the season gets underway in Valencia, Spain.

[YT]_1n4QEtsorI&feature=player_embedded[/YT]
(Courtesy: Motorbeam.com)

Drive Safe,
350Z

Attachments

Top Bottom