T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship 2014

Thread Starter #1
Tata Motors could do something unheard of in our country. The company plans to bring their commercial vehicles to the racing track. That’s right! Truck Racing could come to India as soon as March 2014.

While officials at Tata Motors have no comment about their plans, Mr. Vicky Chandhok – President of Federation of Motorsports Clubs of India (FMSCI) – has spilled the beans to India Today.

According to Mr. Chandhok, the racing series could take place in 2014 at India’s sole Formula 1 track, the Buddh International Circuit (BIC).

He further added that the company has modified 12 Tata Prima trucks which will be piloted by experienced Indian and international drivers.

It took Tata Motors around a year and a half to work on the initiative. The plan is to arrange a single round in its debut year and depending upon the success of the event the future course would be decided. The company aims to make it a multi-make series within three years.

As for the modifications to the machines, the trucks will be equipped with safety features such as a roll cage, fire extinguisher, brake coolers, race spec fuel tank, etc. The trucks were tested in Jamshedpur last month with satisfactory results. The top speed of the track-honed trucks would be around 100 kph.

We’ll keep an eye out for the listing of India’s first ever truck race on the FIA and FMSCI calendar. Needless to say, officials at the Buddh International Circuit are excited to host this event.

Read more: Tata Motors to launch truck racing in India next year
Follow us: @indianautos on Twitter | IndianAutosBlog on Facebook

TATA MOTORS to Unleash Truck Racing in India

Thats Like It! Tata Motors to Unleash Truck Racing in India on 22nd Jan
Tata-Daewoo-Prima-global-truck.jpg
No matter how odd the headline may seem to you, it is true! Its after a while we are hearing some real interesting bit coming from the house of Tata Motors. They have now officially invited for a Press meet where they will make the announcement of the first ever truck racing championship in India.

Tata-Prima-Truck-Racing.jpg

Reports about this event have been doing rounds since the last month, but there had been no official confirmation from Tata Motors. It was said that the truck racing events will be held at India’s lone Formula 1 track, the Buddh International Circuit. At that time Vicky Chandhok, President of Federation of Motorsports Clubs of India (FMSCI), was quite enthusiastic about the possibility of a truck racing series in India.

He felt that it would be good to have all popular racing series in India, and hoped that truck racing would find its connect with the audience too.

Truck racing has its origins in the 1970s in America, and it is popular in Europe too. NASCAR has a truck racing series which sees pick-up trucks in action around the track. The Tata Motors event will see modified Prima trucks slogging it out against each other. It is probably the first time in India that a manufacturer is lining up its trucks for such a racing event.

RACING EVENT DETAILS

The event will consist of a single round in the first year. Depending upon the response that it receives, the number of rounds could be increased in the following years. In the first edition of the event, we expect to see a grid of 12 trucks with experienced international as well as India drivers at their wheels. The trucks will have adequate safety features incorporated into them. These will include roll cage, fire extinguisher, fuel tank and brake coolers.

Truck-Racing.jpg
note:The above image is for idea reference
The trucks would have a top speed in the region of 100 kmph. Reports suggest that the testing has been done in Jamshedpur last month, with satisfactory results.

If everything goes according to plan, the event could be hosted this March. BIC officials are quite excited about such an event, even if it means getting bigger recovery equipment for hauling the trucks in case of any eventuality. More details are expected from the event; keep tuned to us.

Re: Tata Motors To Introduce Truck Racing in India

Tata Motors Is Ready To Race With T1 Prima Trucks

Tata-Prima-Truck-Racing-Championship.jpg
Tata Motors has been all over the news in the past few weeks as the company has been announcing things one after the other. After announcing the 1.2-litre Revotron engine on Monday and launching the Vista Tech on Tuesday, the company has now announced the T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship on Wednesday. With this initiative, Tata Motors is bringing truck racing to India for the first time. The first race is scheduled for 23rd March 2014 at the Buddh International Circuit. This truck racing championship is governed by FIA and FMSCI.
A total of 12 Tata Prima trucks, spread across 6 teams will participate in every race. These trucks are specially prepared for racing. The race is being organised by MMSCI and the standard being followed are those of the British Truck Racing Association (BTRA). International racers will participate in these races which are bound to be a worthy spectacle for on-lookers. There will be two races on the race day – qualifying and main race (with a rolling start). Dual British truck racing champion, Steve Horne has worked with Tata Motors to bring the T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship to light.
The Tata Prima 4038.S truck is being used in the racing championship. This vehicle produces 370 BHP of power at 2100 RPM and has a top speed of 110 km/hr. Extensive modifications have been made to the trucks to make them race worthy (22 to be precise). These include change in brake cooling system, fuel tank, exhaust, steering wheel, propeller shaft guards and the addition of safety belts and racing seats. Tata Motors has tested the trucks at its Jamshedpur facility for high speed stability and handling.
Tata-Prima-Truck-Racing (1).jpg

350Z

Core Team

The trucks have arrived at BIC and are all set to write a new chapter of history in the Indian motorsports on March 23, 2014.

Tata-Truck-Race-1.jpg

Tata-Truck-Race-3 (1).jpg

Tata-Truck-Race-3 (2).jpg

Tata-Truck-Race-5 (1).jpg

Tata-Truck-Race-5 (2).jpg

Tata-Truck-Race-6.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Upcoming Commercial Vehicles in India

Leave aside everything and tell me if anyone going for T1 Tata Prima Truck Racing on 23rd?

I've a hard opinion about what tata is doing. In a country where cargo transport is spoilt by majors like tata's with wooden, underpowered, non comforting trucks for so many years. In the times of improved highways, I pity those vehicles doing 50 kph. With issues like drivers' discomfort, consistent delays in shipping timings, increased cost; it is hampering economy for years. Instead of solving that they now run a "race" of puny, plasticy looking trucks @ 100 kph on Budh track!!! Nah, doesn't excite me. Purely my view.

I've a hard opinion about what tata is doing. In a country where cargo transport is spoilt by majors like tata's with wooden, underpowered, non comforting trucks for so many years. In the times of improved highways, I pity those vehicles doing 50 kph. With issues like drivers' discomfort, consistent delays in shipping timings, increased cost; it is hampering economy for years. Instead of solving that they now run a "race" of puny, plasticy looking trucks @ 100 kph on Budh track!!! Nah, doesn't excite me. Purely my view.
That's true, but in a competitive business world one has to go through this channel of marketing too! and now-a-days fyi Indian manufacturers are addressing the driver comforts by introducing many new ranges which is up to the fleet owners to decide.

we just can't blame a manufacturer. i have a driven leyland 2516 and few tata trucks for short distances (without a batch license). the trucks aren't meant for high speed and are not desinged to break any speed records. it's all about pulling heavy loads.our country has few roads where even a good handling sedan is safe at high speeds. in that case trucks need to be slow.

350Z

Core Team
Stuart Oliver has won the first T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship 2014 in India.

result-.png

Results.png

India’s first truck racing championship – T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship, concluded in grand style with an action-packed 45 minute final race with Stuart Oliver winning the debut championship. The massive and powerful Tata Prima trucks proved to be a treat for motorsports fanatics in an intense race that witnessed a lot of edge-of-the-seats overtaking and high speed corner action. The debut season of the Championship on India’s F1 track, Buddh International Circuit, witnessed an audience of over 25000 screaming enthusiasts who cheered on the speeding Prima trucks. The winning Team Castrol Vecton was followed by Team Cummins and Team Tata Technologies Motor Sports in the final Team points standings.

The T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship comprised two races, a 5-lap Sprint Race and a 15-lap Main Race, with the Champion Award granted to the winning driver on the basis on combined points from both the races. The Team Championship was awarded on the basis of the combined scores of the two drivers of the respective teams from both the races.

The series used 12 heavily-modified Tata Prima beasts capable of putting out 370 horsepower and reaching a top speed of 110 km per hour driven by experienced international drivers. The sight of these mega trucks racing with each other was enough to set any motorsports enthusiasts pulse racing.

Stuart Oliver, T1 Prima Truck Racing Champion 2014 said “It was an amazing experience. The track is beautiful and trucks were performing great. I am thrilled to have won the first ever Truck racing championship in India, among the enthusiastic crowd who were cheering each time we drove past the grand stand. I see a lot of potential of this sport here and would love to come back and race again.”

Commenting on the successful weekend, Mr. Ravi Pisharody, Executive Director - Commercial Business Unit, Tata Motors said, “We have had a tremendous day here for the truck racing with a really pumped-up atmosphere and we have been delighted by the response received for the launch of our debut truck racing event. Tata Prima trucks proved their racing prowess and build quality in this high intensity race. We are extremely delighted with the performance of T1 teams and drivers who have been supportive throughout the event. We would like to congratulate the winning team, sponsors and all participants for making this first of its kind, debut racing event, a historic day.”

Besides the winning drivers, there were top British truck racing drivers, including Bran John Burt, Dave Jenkins, Paul McCumisky, James Horne, Simon Ashley Reid, Richard Collett, Steven Powell, Steven Thomas and Graham Powell, showcased their driving skills during the event. The spectacle, the first-ever truck racing championship held in India, will certainly mark another small step forward for Indian motorsport as the country increasingly asserts itself on the global motor-racing stage.
Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom