Ideal VFM Car in India for Bigger Families?

Thread Starter #1
Dear TAI family,
What you are the characteristics you would want for a large (> 5) family vehicle that you would you daily to commute and maybe once a month (more often once in two/ three months)on a family outing?
Think about whats on offer
1. Innovate-superb, but more than an average middle class family can afford
2. Xylo-value for money-again pricey, big but wallows about like an ocean liner (my opinion). The Scorpio again seems to fit this description
3. Tavera -great value, big , pricey for the mid range diesel BS4
4. Ertiga-great, pricey (diesel),petrol VFM but petrol costs[;)]
5. Quanto-not really a six seater? ?price
6. Evalia- pricey, boxy
6. Venture-affordable but not v comfortable
7. Eeco-? the ideal choice??
would like TAI readers opinions: What would you recommend an average middle class Indian with a family of >than 5.
Thanks

Re: Value for money larger family Car

All the cars you have mentioned are from differnt segments , to understand which is more vfm we need to compare them in same segments and come to a subjective conclusion .

Thread Starter #3
Re: Value for money larger family Car

Most buyers do not think A1, B, C,..SUV, MUV-most, i feel think of a budget and then their needs and then go for what they have heard (word of mouth) and then few search websites (like TAI members[:)]). I feel that if you have a family of 5-6, you start thinking of whats on offer (the list i tried my hand at) and then decide (mostly on price) on what they want. What i did not list was used cars of all the above (example used Innova) which may be more VFM than a new ?Ertiga-some food for thought

This will be my choice for 5 or more persons [:)], the Merc Viano.
Ample of space, comfort & you won't tend to get fatigued either.

Those who don't like the looks, can try the R Class but then comfort isn't as good as Viano, thought drive-ability is better in R Class compared to Viano.

Attachments

Last edited:
Agreed Ertiga has lots of seats but can anybody sit in those rear seats, anybody?
I think Grande and Bolero will not be considered here.

Innova would be the best if the buyer has the capacity to afford it.
Otherwise it would be Maruti Ertiga that is going to be the champion considering the price and VFM it offers.

I would first like to have a clarification here -

You mean passengers should be seated or they should be stuffed. [confused]
If it is seated, then even innova, xuv fails for 3rd row. For ertiga, it is called, "Thoosna" & not "baithna". [lol]

Me personally prefer to take out 2 cars......there have been several cases where there were 4 in one car & 2 in another. This does several things -

> All passengers are comfortable,
> All travel safe,
> Lots of luggage is possible,
> Safety & security. Yep, nothing beats like travelling in a convoy. Very useful on inter-city travels. And in worst case, if one car has flat tyre or anything else at odd time in odd place, we can shift ladies & kids to another car & take them to nearest town/city while couple of men could wait & get the car fixed.

I still remember the experience of travelling in mini-bus together (long story) & then after that we have travelled by as many as 7-8 cars/sedans in a convoy. Feels safe buddy. [:)]

BTW, even in Innova we travel 3+1. (captain seats in 2nd row, so, 1+1+2 seating).

Everything boils down to your budget. Consider the amount you'll pay to buy the car. And maintenance cost. you'll get better products at higher price, but buying an Eeco isnt bad too. Buy what you can afford, and be proud of it.
S_class: You think in S class way. Unfortunately, majority of Indians cant. Totally agree with your convoy idea.

Everything boils down to your budget. Consider the amount you'll pay to buy the car. And maintenance cost. you'll get better products at higher price, but buying an Eeco isnt bad too. Buy what you can afford, and be proud of it.
S_class: You think in S class way. Unfortunately, majority of Indians cant. Totally agree with your convoy idea.
@Nozzlering, Eeco is not a family mover. No it cannot be considered as one.[frustration]
Though it has couple of seats and doors there is lot more to a family mover like comfort,safety,quality and ergonomics.
After all there is a difference between a "Home" and "Lodgings" even though human being resides in both.

Here, I echo Jaydev's point. Eeco isn't a family mover, it is best suited as radio cab.

Thanks but buddy, I am not asking one to take out luxury sedans, how about taking a swift & vista rather than getting stuffed in ertiga or innova ?? I don't think this is luxury & cost of swift + vista is not more than innova, right ?

@Nozzlering, Eeco is not a family mover. No it cannot be considered as one.
Though it has couple of seats and doors there is lot more to a family mover like comfort,safety,quality and ergonomics.
After all there is a difference between a "Home" and "Lodgings" even though human being resides in both.
+100

Hyundai should launch its IMAX in India, iMax offers exceptional seating flexibility for eight people plus cargo.

Some Images of IMAX
Thanks for pics. I think even Nissan Evalia would be better people mover than innova.

Taking 2 cars instead of 1 MPV is good in the case we are going to pick up/drop to Near by Airport or Railway station. But in the case of a long tour, its difficult for a 6/7 member family to use 2 cars.
1. There will not be any extra driver available in some cases. At the maximum of 3 members in the Indian family can drive.
2. cant enjoy much in 2 cars.Most of the Indian familys go for long trips maximum twice in an year. Even for the short weekend trips its better to use a MPV than 2 cars.
I would love to Adjust with my family/friends in SUV/MUV than sit comfortably and go for long trip or short trip in 2 cars
eg-
I started to reply, because from the past 3 months i am going through this situation every weekend. I have 3 best friends and most of the weekends we will go for some short trips to cinemas, beaches or to local tourist places. Earlier we were going on 2 bikes and later we all bought cars.We take any one car for these trips. I married 3 years before. Then also we manged with single car. One of my friend married 3 months before and our no increased to 6 and every time we need to take 2 cars because we don't have any MPV in our friend circles.
The problem comes in these are for every decision making or route change or for a stop for coffee, we need to call to another car and sometime in remote places they will be in out of range too. It also increases expenses. Except me three of my friends using diesel cars(Indica,Indica Vista Vx, Swift VDi). Now we others pushing the 'Indica owner' to buy atleast Venture [;)]

Last edited:

Top Bottom