Planning To Buy a Second Car? Show Parking Space First!

I read the article twice,but i dint get how "seeking information on whether you have legitimate space to park your second vehicle before allowing its registration"will stop people from parking their vehicles on road ?

Don't tell that RTO wont register vehicles if they don't find the "LEGITIMATE SPACE".

Instead why doesn't Government come up with parking buildings ?(don't know what they are exacty called).
Has anyone seen tokyo drift ? There are big lifts onto which the cars are parked & kept.I have even see the advertisements of such lifts in news paper some time back.

If such lifts come up the "parking on road" problem will seriously go down.

Well i don think it can be implemented surely!! And moreover if a person is rich enough to buy a second car then am sure he will also have enough parking space in his home to park his 2nd car and not depend on the streets!!

Yeah i have read articles about what Neil is saying , They are planning to start something like that soon in Chennai!!

Last edited:
Well i don think it can be implemented surely!! And moreover if a person is rich enough to buy a second car then am sure he will also have enough parking space in his home to park his 2nd car and not depend on the streets!!
But a "home parking space" doesn't solve the problem.Here the thing is about avoiding parking on roads when people get down to shop or something so that the complete stretch of roads can be utilized.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
well if they are serious on implementing this, then firstly they should provide and plan out more parking space within city,they can stop one buying one with second vehicle with no parking space in his home, but what about onroads parking, they also needs to provide enough of that too.

The only solution seems to be the one suggested by Neil or otherwise go for basement parking!! But basement parking will be costly when compared to the previous one!! They cant stop people from buying a 2nd car!! Instead of wasting their time in this they can think about the alternatives!!

oh!! Is this a new across India!

I thought its chennai only.

Good move BTW, alteast traffic can be minimized :)

Arun

Suspended
@The RTO issue : They've got nothing better to do. Don't tell me they'll come to your apartment and check if you have parking space.

@Parking on Roads
There are two answers to this.
  • Construct a parking lot which has multiple floors.
  • Have underground parking.

Both of them will have their pros and cons. Lets see what happens.

We have a mall here which has 9 floor parking. :biggrin: Cars stack up, upto the 4th floor.
We need more of these!

Last edited:
WoW! so India is developing in case of parking places also in every cities.Here in kolkata there is a mall named South-City Mall beside South-City Apartments(Skyscrapers indeed, it has 45-50 stories), there are 5 storeys inside the mall which is same as 20 storeys of the apartments in height. Each storey has parking zone for around 40-50 vehicles and a rooftop parking zone for approx 150 vehicles is available, but all is for the mall visitors not for anybody else.But the mall is really a good place hangout.Love it.Sopping,Foods,Games and Movies, all under one roof.

This is already a mandatory requirement in Japan, when I was there way back in 1998.
Good to hear that there is thought on these lines out here too ... though implementing it in India will take some effort ... we Indians are pretty ingenious when it comes to walking around a law!!

350Z

Core Team
Re: Planning to buy a 2nd car? Show Parking Space!

Talks are still going on to implement this system soon. But Sikkim has done it already: Want to buy a car? Get a parking space first - Mumbai - DNA

Parking space first, registration later. Yes, it is the future if the Centre accepts changes suggested in the Sunder Committee report on the review of the Central Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Chapter three of the report has several suggestions regarding the “Registration of Motor Vehicles”. The committee has proposed to make it mandatory for every car owner to furnish proof of parking space at the regional transport office (RTO), failing which his/her car will not be registered.

The Maharashtra government, already beset with problems of parking space in all major cities (especially Mumbai, Thane and Navi Mumbai) is all for such a change. Transport department officials from all the states recently met in Delhi to discuss the committee’s report with representatives from the Union ministry of road transport and highways. VN More, Maharashtra transport commissioner, said the government wants this clause to be incorporated in the motor vehicles act. More, who was at the meeting in New Delhi, said this would go a long way in solving the city’s parking problem. “Roads are meant for the movement of cars and not for illegally parking cars,” More said. “Cars parked illegally on roads make it difficult for other cars to move freely. In a space-starved city like Mumbai, we should make optimum use of roads.” Sikkim has already implemented such a policy and Karnataka is mulling to do it. Once the Centre accepts the changes, all the states will have to follow the mandatory parking space policy.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Delhi government to make parking space mandatory for buying a car

This is a good move. Its high time to reduce congestion people with 1 house and 6 cars are stopped from buying cars. This will ease traffic on road
People will start buying from Gurgaon then. Simple.[lol]

Top Bottom