Failed Cars in India

Thread Starter #1
Why some cars fails in the market even if they offer good value.
Personally i felt Baleno was the best car from maruti till date, but it failed in the market. Is indian market so unpredictable for manufacturers?
Some other cars in this list could be from Fiat, Siena, Petra etc., but that can be blamed to Fiat, but why Versa, Baleno or may be some other cars failed? Same thing i am seeing with A-Star. We can add Logan in the list too.

Last edited:
The reason cant be pin-pointed!! Maybe due to some technical snag in that car which the owners discovered and warned others , over-pricing of the car , poor A.S.S , poor styling and still many more reasons!!

BTW i don think A-Star is a flop model!! I still remember reading in HINDU Wheels magazine a few months before that it is on par with the sale of Swift!!

Ok well leave it RSM lets not go-offtopic!! Am still pretty sure i read something like that!! Lets discuss about the failed cars for now!!

350Z

Core Team
Why some cars fails in the market even if they offer good value.Personally i felt Baleno was the best car from maruti till date, but it failed in the market. Is indian market so unpredictable for manufacturers?
Some other cars in this list could be from Fiat, Siena, Petra etc., but that can be blamed to Fiat, but why Versa, Baleno or may be some other cars failed? Same thing i am seeing with A-Star. We can add Logan in the list too.
There are many cars in India which were complete Value For Money, Good Service Network, Brand Image was a bonus to them but however they still didn't done well in Market and reason for this could be many and one of the most common is less promotion of the product.

Baleno was not a flop, It sold in good volumes and become favorite among modifiers, Though it was slighltly high cost which kept few of the enthusiasts away from this Maruti.

Speaking about Logan, It is again not a flop product. Logan is doing quite well in market but the plain looks are not to everyone's taste. Mahindra-Renault is offering a heavy discount of Rs.50,000 to clear out the current stock and make space for New Version under the hood of which a Euro-4 Compliant engine sits.

BTW i don think A-Star is a flop model!! I still remember reading in HINDU Wheels magazine a few months before that it is on par with the sale of Swift!!
A-star has a different story, Though its not shooting up on the sales charts but its not a complete flop product as well.Also, A-Star didn't proved to be star of the segment.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Fiat Uno
Fiat Petra
Fiat palio adventure
Maruti Astar
Maruti Baleno
Maruti Versa
Maruti Baleno estate version
Chevy CRV
Mitsubishi Cedia
Tata sumo Grande
Ford Fusion
Mahindra Logan is not failed but didnt sell in masses, sold in good numbers in taxy segment.

350Z

Core Team
vijay said:
Maruti Baleno
Maruti Versa
Maruti Baleno estate version
Chevy CRV
Mitsubishi Cedia
Tata sumo Grande
That was called Baleno Altura, It didn't sold well in market, Just like other Estates.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Even Opels like astra, corsa, corsa sail were failed because of high maintenance costs and daewoo's cielo, though it liked it very much.

I wouldn't say Palio is not a failure model. It sold well until owners found it to be expensive to maintain and it drank more fuel.

Top Bottom