Volkswagen Discontinues Polo 1.6 In India

Thread Starter #1
Another Petrol car bite's the dust, Future for Petrol powered car's look very hazy indeed, as most of the Buyer's are opting for Diesel as the difference between Petrol & Diesel is too big.

Who's Next In-Line?

Any Guesses?

Our sources inform us that Volkswagen has stopped production of the Polo 1.6 in India. The German automaker has discontinued the Polo 1.6 variant from the Indian market due to poor demand. Dealers will be having a few units of the Polo 1.6 with them and will be offering discounts to clear stocks. While rumors of Maruti Suzuki bringing in the Swift Sport are doing the rounds since quite some time now, this move by Volkswagen clearly reveals that there is very little demand for petrol powered performance hatchbacks.
Volkswagen Discontinues Polo 1.6 In India | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

the only good polo 1.6 which was always touted by the dealers that the production will be stopped. even during the launch of polo. blame the low demand on the dealers.

Thread Starter #5
Maybe they are hoping to launch a 1.2TSI model since it is rumoured to give better FE.
If that happen's it will be a great news for all petrol head's in our country. but i really doubt that they will start manufacturing the Engine here and if they choose to import the Engine then the prices will go northward's.

My guess is they will just stick with the underpowered 1.2 Petrol Engine(Current one)

There are rumors that the new polo 1.6 might be coming with A.T and few added features like new head unit and steering mounted controls. Lets see.

This news looks correct. Last week when I approched Skoda & Volks dealer to book Fab 1.6 or Polo 1.6, Skoda dealer hinted that Fab 1.6 production may be stopped soon. Waiting Period for Fab 1.6 is 1 month, whereas Polo is 3 months. Anyways I didn't hear anything from Volks dealer last week.I now feel a bit concerned as I booked a Fab 1.6 last Monday giving two color options - Cappuccino beige & white, with an expected delivery date by Sep end as first color choice is Cappuccino beige.

Skoda has increased the car prices by 1.8 % across all models effective 1st August 2012 and there are reports of launching a fully loaded new Fabia sometime next year.

Last edited:
VW India strategy was flawed from the beginning. They had a huge stock of cars (petrols mostly) lying last Jan/Feb.. same time they came up with the not so effective AD campaign on TV.
Thinking on the ADs; makes you smile now at the irony of it.

First Civic and now Polo 1.6. What would be left for the handful of us enthusiasts when we plan our "next weekend car". Obviously the rising petrol prices coupled with low FE of these cars is paving the death way for them. Would Linea t-Jet be next?? [cry]

freakdude

Last edited:
First Civic and not Polo 1.6. What would be left for the handful of us enthusiasts when we plan our "next weekend car". Obviously the rising petrol prices coupled with low FE of these cars is paving the death way for them. Would Linea t-Jet be next?? [cry]

freakdude
Could be FIAT is now having a huge discount on TJet currnet stock. Once the stock is cleared, don't know if they are going to produce more TJet looking at the market conditions.

Could be FIAT is now having a huge discount on TJet currnet stock. Once the stock is cleared, don't know if they are going to produce more TJet looking at the market conditions.
there are no new T-jets being manufactured . all you get is a 2011 model but with huge discounts.

This means, they are ahead of Honda and VW in sensing the Indian market. But TJets news never made a big news as it is , it was not selling like hot cakes in market. [:D]

it is the norm everywhere.

Honda pulled the plug on civic only when they found out that stocks have exhausted. same with polo.

with fiat i guess they are waiting to clear their stocks.

Top Bottom