Raj Thackeray Asks People To Stop Paying Toll Tax in Maharashtra

Thread Starter #1
Does he even know what he talk's?
yes he knows it. thats the reason he is not in jail [evil]

it is a fact that many toll nakas have long recovered the project costs including the interest for building the projects. yet the tolls have continued.

also a mention is that the money collected is not accounted for in any budget. so in all probability it goes to the PWD ministry with no accountability.

Does he even know what he talk's?
You will not understand this. And political talk can not be done here on this forum.Hence can't answer you.

This is good start and hope government will act on it.

You will not understand this. And political talk can not be done here on this forum.Hence can't answer you.

This is good start and hope government will act on it.
+1,

That is absolutely correct.
Education & Engineering can be done from outside the government but the Enforcement has no other way than the government itself.

The three E's of management; sadly, in this case two are done but the third one remains untouched. Pity!

There is a toll booth in Coimbatore for a small bridge for which toll is collected for last 19 years.

Its a very small bridge and the only entry point to City from West and South side. L&T made this bridge ages ago and still collecting toll with amount to be paid increasing year after year.

Sad to see the way we are looted in many possible ways. Wondering how many tolls are still collecting the fee.

Thread Starter #8
Many might think that Raj Thackeray is doing this for publicity and to get focus in media. But this is truth of Mumbai, Maharshtra and every state in India. We are being ripped and that also at higher cost. [frustration].

I still remember when I went to Nagpur I have paid approx Rs.2000 for toll only in entire journey. If there are good roads like Mumbai-Pune express way, Mumbai-Nashik express way or Worli-Bandra sea link I am ready to pay toll. But not for roads like Dahisar toll. [anger]

Last edited:
There is a toll booth in Coimbatore for a small bridge for which toll is collected for last 19 years.

Its a very small bridge and the only entry point to City from West and South side. L&T made this bridge ages ago and still collecting toll with amount to be paid increasing year after year.
For sure the Toll collection is not done by L&T they only builds the bridges and roads .Please check the under RTI who is collecting the toll.

Many might think that Raj Thackeray is doing this for publicity and to get focus in media. But this is truth of Mumbai, Maharshtra and every state in India. We are being ripped and that also at higher cost. [frustration].

I still remember when I went to Nagpur I have paid approx Rs.2000 for toll only in entire journey. If there are good roads like Mumbai-Pune express way, Mumbai-Nashik express way or Worli-Bandra sea link I am ready to pay toll. But not for roads like Dahisar toll. [anger]
Very True Dharmesh.

I do not know any road by which I can enter in Mumbai where there is NO toll booth.
Same holds true for Pune also.

Absolutely one can not enter / exit these cities without paying toll.

Without getting in to the political side of it, i for once agree to this for different reasons though. Private infrastructure companies are here to make money and they will make a profit - this is no charity, road upkeep also has costs! Thats the whole principal of public-private partnership. ( i dont want to get in to the topic of fraudulent practices here)

The issue I have is more fundamental , if you have toll roads - they have to comply to a certain national standard - you cannot have single lane tar roads with toll imposed. At a minimum they should be 3 lane each side is my view and gated(so there are no cows and bulls joining the fray). Unfortunately in Maharashtra every tom dick and harry can put up a toll booths without really doing much as far as the actual roads are concerned - personally i think that should be deemed illegal!

there has to be a standard set for toll booths, if they can save time/money and fuel in turn i dont think there is an issue in putting up a toll - afterall well maintained roads are good for our cars as well. But unfortunately in India toll booths create traffic problems than resolve them!

Toll is collected by L&T

There is one more road in Coimbatore where L&T collect the tolls.

Aathupalam Bridge

Aathupalam Bridge over the Noyyal

The first section also included the construction of a new 32.2m bridge over the Noyyal, at Aathupalam, with a toll period of 21 years. The toll booth was India's earliest to use International Road Dynamics iToll tolling system. In 2000, L&T asked the Government for permission to regulate users of the bridge, and agreed to the subsidised toll rate of
50 per day per bus of the Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation irrespective of the number of trips made by the bus.L&T subsequently stopped collection of toll from vehicles bearing Local Number plates.The revenue from the Toll Booth goes partly to fund for a Railway Bridge and underpass at Chettipalaym.

Is that the same bridge we are discussing about

:source :- (WIKIPEDIA)

This Toll collection thing is the only constructive thing that Raj thackeray has come up with. But the downside is there was some vandalism by his followers who went on the overdrive at the toll nakas.

Every vehicle owner is paying tax before it is allowed to come out from showroom to road.

Raj Thackeray is the first politician to ignite the Toll Collection Issue.

The Centre's policy of charging toll tax from vehicles has come under scrutiny of the Supreme Court which today (9th May 2012) questioned the justification of imposing such charges on people when the government cannot provide smooth roads.
A bench of justices D K Jain and Anil R Dave directed the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) to explain its policy for toll tax.

Source

Top Bottom