Renault Duster – Would it Really Affect C-Segment Sedans?

Thread Starter #1
Today Renault has launched most awaited Duster.[clap]
Now lets put you thoughts comparing it against all C segment sedans.
The company is targeting it against this class as per their advertisement.
So what do you think ? [:)]

Renault Duster Petrol

Renault Duster RxE – 7.19 lakhs
Renault Duster RxL – 8.19 lakhs

Renault Duster Diesel

Renault Duster RxE – 7.99 lakhs
Renault Duster RxL 85 PS – 8.99 lakhs
Renualt Duster RxL 110 PS – 9.99 lakhs
Renault Duster RxZ 110 PS – 10.99 lakhs & 11.29 lakhs with the option pack

----------------------------------------------------
Nissan Sunny : Rs.8.19-9.01 lac

Fiat Linea: Rs.8.07-9.48 lac

Skoda Rapid: Rs.8.25-9.61 lac

Maruti Suzuki SX4: Rs.8.38-9.63 lac

Volkswagen Vento : Rs.8.5-10.26 lac

Ford Fiesta: Rs.9.28-10.32 lac

Hyundai Verna: Rs.9.22-11.41 lac

Re: Renault duster vs C segment sedan

Dusters are used in schools to clean the black board or they are used to remove the dust,now how can you even compare such a thing to a 'CAR'.C'mon yaar,maybe it can sell well but still a car is a car and hence a 'Sedan' any day for me because I drive 'CARs'.[:D]

As the advertisement says , I also don't think that the Duster is going to swap the sales number of those C segment sedans.
Renault Duster would have its own customers who dream of a big beasts like XUV500, Fortuner etc but doesn't have enough Vitamin M(money) to acquire those beasts.
Renault would fetch better sales only if they establish a good After Sales Service Network for their customers.
If I am to choose between a Duster and other C segment sedans I would opt for either a VW Vento , Linea or a Fiesta[;)].

A person who likes sedan's will never be tempted to put his money on SUV(ask Vipul),both the segment's are for different target audience.

Of anybody is not keen on suv look the Nissan sunny is much better option has terrific amount of space and a good boot size too . But people who want a suv and don't like the bulk of safari and Scorpio and don't have budget for the xuv or captiva yes and have only 5 members in the family and want super mileage can go for duster . It's the type of crowd which will buy the duster today I saw in the showroom most of the people were young couples young guys and families people who had extended families were very disappointed and were asking the dealer if they can add some extra seating by making the boot less .
If Renault would have prices this duster 1 lakh less across the variants the car would have been a over night success for sure but now the top end duster is just shy I think not sure some 50,000 rs from xuv w6 and no need to explain which makes a better sense to buy .

Re: Renault Duster – Would it Really Affect C-Segment Sedans?

^^Guys,in India SUV means:-
  • 7 seats.
  • Mini truck size.
  • High driving position.
  • A non-aerodynamic design.

And Duster is missing the most vital feature-7 seats.People will consider it only an oversized hatch like they do with Yeti without even thinking of what it offers.

Just think,I have seen people calling Ertiga an SUV only because it has 7 seats[frustration].
  • Renault is not a big name.
  • Many people don't even know it.
  • In India people buy seats,not cars.And here we have only 5 seats for sale.Hence people will go for sedans(5 seats) as this car has nothing that special except GC.

As mentioned by Visran,any person going for sedan will go for sedan only,no 5 or 7 seated pick-up truck can convince the person to go for it.SUVs have a distinct place for them in everyone's heart,but still if the SUV is a proper SUV then its acceptable,but when its just 7/5 seats in a cabin then the scene changes.

For informed people , vehicle classes are defined by body style & characteristics such as Hatchback, Sedan, Suv etc.

For rich & uninformed people, vehicle classes are defined by price range such as <5 Lakh, <10 Lakh etc.

Hence though an SUV is ideally not supposed to take away sedan customer, but In India any thing is possible.

Have anyone wondered how D segment car sales are dwindling after the launch of super successful XUV 500.

So I MHO Duster can eat away some customer from C segment sedan. The effect would be minuscule because I dont think Duster would be a successful model at first place. But had it been better priced (less than 50 k across the diesel variants), some probable Vento & Verna (top diesel variant) might have switch over to Duster.

Why?

1. Because In India's traffic condition it is actually much easier to drive a SUV/MUV/UV than a sedan. They offer better view of the road and our roads being fulled to the brim, view of every inch of the road become essential.

2. Additionally, since our roads are full of potholes so vehicle with better GC is always welcomed.

3. In our roads (filled with drivers of terrible road sense) it is very difficult to drive above 100 kmph where a sedan convincingly trumps an SUV. So below that speed, handling characteristics is not much noticeable.

BTW, IMHO it would be comfortable to drive a Duster above 100 kmph than a Verna.

They have to provide value. Interiors aren't that great from the pics i have seen online. The Tata Safari Storme is much bigger & looks better than the Duster. Also its is from the house of Tata ought to be good. I am waiting for the launch of the New Tata Safari Storme. Patience is the key.[:)]

Have anyone wondered how D segment car sales are dwindling after the launch of super successful XUV 500.
LoL. [lol] You know D class segment has those type of buyers who won't give a damn even if Fortuner is launched at 15L.

XUV took sales off mainly from Aria & Scorpio-especially higher specs ones & even Fortuner. Had this been the case, Audi Q7 should have eaten sales of Audi A8, Merc S Class !! Not to forget Xylo too said same thing - Where it is now ?? In taxi market. Land Rover says, why buy car when you can buy LR ? But Jaguar market is unaffected.

Asking if Duster or any SUV can eat sales of sedans is like saying Sunny Leone can take away films of Katrina Kaif ! [lol]

S Class

Thank you for giving the clarity !! Now I have understood SUV means ITEM SONG and sedan means BIG HEROINE and hatch means a SMALL HEROINE[;)]

Top Bottom