Does Brand Value Matters?

Does brand value matter?

• Yes

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
I was discussing this with my friend yesterday, but could not come to a final verdict.

I was of the opinion that japanese companies like toyota & honda fleece indians in the name of quality & reliability. Indians pay a lot more than the apt price of the car, just for the brand image associated with the jap cars. i feel 14 lakhs for a corolla, 16 lakhs for a civic, 9 lakhs for a jazz & 10 lakhs for the ANHC is simply ridiculous!

On the other hand, indian companies like tata & mahindra offer a lot more (space & features) compared to the Japs at a much lesser price. also, quality & technology of indians are on par with japs now. what is lacking is JUST brand value!

My friend was of the opinion that the Japs have worked really hard to create that brand name & image it has today & so it is okay to charge a premium for their cars.

i want to know your opinion on this.
does brand value matter?
do you buy a car for yourself or to show the society?
will you buy an indian brand for the same money for which you can buy a japanese brand?

Yes Brand Value matters a lot!

I will say its more like a status symbol now to own these popular brands!

But what really matters "is to own the thing which you think is the best & which you like more!"

350Z

Core Team
Good Question Rajeev.
I would say Yes, The times we are living in, When it comes to automobiles the Brand Value Matters. Especially for the young generation who prefer "show" with the go. Also, With the brand value comes the reliability, A highly popular car maker may not do some silly mistakes with their customers as a local manufacturer.

However, On the other hand there comes a class which is more attracted by features, Just take the example of Mahindra Xylo (top End) and Toyota Innova(base) and consider their pricing to be almost same. The people who have gone flat by feature list of Xylo would close the eyes and opt for it but the brand value conscious ones would still go for Innova, What if its the base model? So, It basically depends of the buyer's way of vision. If you speak specifically about me, I lie somewhere between both of these breeds, because we buy cars based on mind not heart.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes i believe it does matter.

Maruti took time to make their brand image in middle class and see the result. Same with Honda, they represnt class.

I personally do some research before buying, but first thing comes in mind is the popular brand.

Yes Brand value does matter.
No offences.But i would like to comment on your statements.

i feel 14 lakhs for a corolla, 16 lakhs for a civic, 9 lakhs for a jazz & 10 lakhs for the ANHC is simply ridiculous!
When you spend such amount you get a good engine,futuristic looks and last but not the least excellent A.S.S.

On the other hand, indian companies like tata & mahindra offer a lot more (space & features) compared to the Japs at a much lesser price. also, quality & technology of indians are on par with japs now.
I dont know about Mahindras, But TATAs have terrible A.S.S and quality.I have had enough with my indigo. Recently out company got an Indica Vista 2 months back. It has already started rattling and Rear door doent open from inside.This is not the only problem. All our Tata cars(Victa and Indicas) were replaced by Innovas and Xylos.Its not about indian and japanese make. Look at maruti, its indian and still satisfactory quality and good A.S.S.Look at ford,its a foriegn reputed brand but still not very popular among indians because of it dated models(ikon) and unsatisfatory A.S.S. MSIL being an indian company is favourite of indians. Brands are made they arent born. These companies have proved themselves in the autosector and thats the reason they have become brands and people go after them.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
i have voted for NO !!!

for me, IN CARS, brand value does not matter until & unless i am looking at a premium car costing more than 40 lakhs.

car buying decision for me is more from the heart & less from the mind. i would rather prefer a punto over a swift/i10 or a scorpio over a innova (but obvious!) or an embera over a laura/jetta!

i look for style, performance, features & image. by image, i mean image of the vehicle & not the company. for example, IMHO scorpio & punto has got a better image than the innova & swift respectively.

When you spend such amount you get a good engine,futuristic looks and last but not the least excellent A.S.S.
good engine? at 9 lakhs, jazz has a 1.2 engine which goes 0-100 kmph in 13 seconds. even a santro does that for 1/3rd price. a swift betters that for half the price!

talking about sonata embera & civic, both are priced equally & offer similar performance but hyundai offers a much larger car.

yes, excellent & the most expensive A.S.S.! good A.S.S need not be associated with brand. J.D. power says maruti tops the customer satisfaction whereas even mahindra is rated better than toyota!

also check this link here.

Look at maruti, its indian and still satisfactory quality and good A.S.S.
all maruti cars are basically from suzuki which again is japanese!

Last edited:
car buying decision for me is more from the heart & less from the mind. i would rather prefer a punto over a swift/i10 or a scorpio over a innova (but obvious!) or an embera over a laura/jetta!
I totally agree with you Raj.[:)]
Yes A.S.S linked with the brand, otherwise maruti will never be on top.

does brand value matter?
Yes it does.
do you buy a car for yourself or to show the society ?
Its not just about showing off in society,its more of a self satisfaction thing which you feel when you drive in a Honda instead of TATA
(no hard feelings,just a eg)
will you buy an indian brand for the same money for which you can buy a japanese brand?
I wont opt for a Indian Brand.

we are not paying 16 lakhs for a civic to honda company, more than half of the money is paying as import tax.
in middle east you will get alto lesser than 2 lakhs rupees and for our scorpio for around 5 lakhs RS. for the price of civic in india you will get a c- class or 3 series here.
just think guys how much we are paying as import duty and other taxes.

i have voted for NO !!!

Agreed! I will never mind owning Sonata Embera when compared to laura or Jetta!

Of course you get a lot in a better price!

i have voted for NO !!!

I have too done this and only 2 no votes.

For me brand value doesn't matter , but for the world it matters a lot.

for eg people buy city over sx4 for brand.

even from accessory side , the price of same material is different for brand value.

the case of sumo and Scorpio.
rhino and innova.

In these the seats are almost same and same quality material seat have diff price tag . This is from my experience.

350Z

Core Team
Raj_5004 said:
good engine? at 9 lakhs, jazz has a 1.2 engine which goes 0-100 kmph in 13 seconds. even a santro does that for 1/3rd price. a swift betters that for half the price!
I differ here, We can't compare Santro/Swift with a Jazz. There are many factors which matter and one of them is also known as "Features" which one looks in for when buying a vehicle, Also, There is a reason cars have been divided into segments.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #13
ilango[speed thirst];12209 said:
I have too done this and only 2 no votes.

For me brand value doesn't matter , but for the world it matters a lot.

for eg people buy city over sx4 for brand.

even from accessory side , the price of same material is different for brand value.

the case of sumo and Scorpio.
rhino and innova.

In these the seats are almost same and same quality material seat have diff price tag . This is from my experience.
scorpio & sumo are similar? rhino & innova are similar? [shock]

I differ here, We can't compare Santro/Swift with a Jazz. There are many factors which matter and one of them is also known as "Features" which one looks in for when buying a vehicle, Also, There is a reason cars have been divided into segments.

Drive Safe,
350Z
i am not comparing the jazz with the swift. i am only comparing the jazz's engine with the swift since akash said that honda charges a premium for the engine.

taking about features, swift offers auto HVAC which the jazz does not!

No i am not comparing both

similar in sense the quantity of material reqired. Hope you got me
say a fabric cover , same quality for innova and rhino. both are 8 seater!

rhino badge cost 3500 and innova badge cost 4300. So i feel brand playing the game.

Voted YES.
Brand Value Matters in this century, Its not just show-off, If your car is branded you've peace of mind that you won't face any issue with it, Even if there is, The carmaker will help you in friendly way.

For those who voted NO, Answer this -
Why don't you simply buy the Chineese replica's of big cars which offer you many features at far more cheap prices?

Top Bottom