Does Buying Diesel Car Over Petrol Gives Financial Edge?

Thread Starter #1
Is buying a Diesel car over Petrol gives financial savings? Read on...

Yes, only if you are able to save it. Let us have a look at following example:

But before that some exceptions:

Here I am not considering maintenance cost in picture.
Not considering mileage but keeping monthly out flow in rupees.
I am talking about normal trends here but there would be expectations or exceptional individuals.

NOTE from myside: All figures are mere assumptions and should not be considered as actual one’s.

Let us say someone’s running cost on Petrol is Rs. 6000/- per month and on Diesel it would be Rs. 3000/-.

So will he be able to save Rs. 3000/- per month ? [confused]

Answer is NO. [frustration]

Because it is all virtual saving and not effective saving. For example; when our salary was 10K we were not able to save much or nothing and when it is now Eg: 50k, we are still not able to save much. (Sounds familiar, yes it is. [lol])

Then how he can make it effective saving ?

My suggestion would be, open a saving account in X bank and pump Rs. 6000/- every month in that account for a year and use debit card from that account to pay for the Diesel charges at bunks. Then at the end of every month or year he will be able to save (Rs. 3000/- PM or Rs. 36000/- PA) respectively. Then it will turn an effective one but till then we are just running behind virtual savings.

Please suggest if there is any other way to save and turn virtual saving into an effective one.

Thanks

NOTE: 100% my own write up.

Last edited:
Re: Do you really belive that buying a Diesel car over Petrol gives financial savings

I can understand what you mean to say , but let's take my example.

Previously I owned Zen VXi. Usually I used to fill fuel worth Rs. 2000 (that would be approx 32 litres as that time the price for fuel was approx Rs. 69 per litre.). That amount of fuel would run for about 360 KMs. Fuel consumption of about 12/13 kmpl.

Now I have PUNTO Multi Jet. Usually I fill fuel worth Rs. 1700/1800, that would come up to 38/40 litres. This amount of fuel runs for about 650 KM. Fuel comsumption of about 16/17 KMPL.

And as what you have mentioned in above example, that you dont actually do savings by using diesel car, as it is virtual money.

So let's take an example :
Me and my brother both are earning Rs.20000 per month. I have petrol car and brother have diesel car. So as per your example I spent Rs.6000 per month and brother spents Rs.3000 per month on fuel expenses. So after done with fuel expenses what I am left with is Rs.14000 and brother is left with is Rs.17000. So he have more space to spend that extra Rs.3000 on something other useful.

Now, the comparison is in front of you. I hope this helps.

Please Note: In this comparison I am not considering the cost at which Diesel/Petrol car was bought. It is straight fuel expenses cost comparison.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Do you really belive that buying a Diesel car over Petrol gives financial savings

So he have more space to spend that extra Rs.3000 on something other useful.
Dharmesh,

Your above line completed my theory. Thanks for that.

Please understand I am referring to savings and not the spending power here.

For eg: When I was getting 10K, my buying potentional was less as compare to today if I am getting 50K but am I able to save ?

My post was in reference to effective savings one should opt for if they really want to save something after buying a diesel car over a petrol car.

I hope you understand the point here.

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator

Simple calculation:
monthly running with estimated (reported by) FE of car multiplied by fuel cost (for either fuel), factor in service cost at interval of 10000 kms, extra cost for diesel, interest on this extra cost for five year minus resale value of the car after 5 years.
One get TCO for petrol and diesel.
Again one can factor in smoothness (subjective), refinement of the engine and so on.

People have their on take, my view, go for diesel if some one is running more than 400-450 kms per month, others may agree to disagree. B/w cheers, if I have had deep pocket like Shailinder, then would have advocated for petrol but have shallow pocket so diesel suits my need and purse. I feel happy when fill tank in 1700 rs and run 650-700 kms.[clap]

Thread Starter #5
Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator

Simple calculation:
monthly running with estimated (reported by) FE of car multiplied by fuel cost (for either fuel), factor in service cost at interval of 10000 kms, extra cost for diesel, interest on this extra cost for five year minus resale value of the car after 5 years.
One get TCO for petrol and diesel.
Again one can factor in smoothness (subjective), refinement of the engine and so on.

People have their on take, my view, go for diesel if some one is running more than 400-450 kms per month, others may agree to disagree. B/w cheers, if I have had deep pocket like Shailinder, then would have advocated for petrol but have shallow pocket so diesel suits my need and purse. I feel happy when fill tank in 1700 rs and run 650-700 kms.[clap]
Thanks for the well wishes Brandoo. Tumhare muh mein ghee (clarified butter) + lot of Shakar (sugar) [:)].

I don't own a car but in the near future I am planning to own one, my office is just 8KM if i go by one route & if I take a little longer route its 10KM, I prefer the shorter route now since I reach my office in flat 20mins. So if we take my scenario where in I have a daily running of 16-20KM, so does a Diesel fulfill the need for me?

I have observed one thing though most of the guys skipped taking into account weekend running or does the 600-650KM on Diesel is inclusive of running the car on weekends as well? Thanks in advance for any info

^I own a bullet already, but I ask that question because my family might expand soon (still not married) but even with increase in 1 member to travel together we would need a car so that's why I asked :)

^I own a bullet already, but I ask that question because my family might expand soon (still not married) but even with increase in 1 member to travel together we would need a car so that's why I asked :)
You can put side-car to bullet like in Sholay [lol].
Coming to your Q, which car you planning to buy. Asking this as the price difference should validate the reason for opting either petrol or diesel.

Thread Starter #11
I don't own a car but in the near future I am planning to own one, my office is just 8KM if i go by one route & if I take a little longer route its 10KM, I prefer the shorter route now since I reach my office in flat 20mins. So if we take my scenario where in I have a daily running of 16-20KM, so does a Diesel fulfill the need for me?

I have observed one thing though most of the guys skipped taking into account weekend running or does the 600-650KM on Diesel is inclusive of running the car on weekends as well? Thanks in advance for any info
What do you think you should be doing ? I mean what do you think about the car you should buy if your running is 700kms a month ?

You can put side-car to bullet like in Sholay[lol].

Nice suggestion [lol]but can we really do that in today's scanario ? Look at the state of traffic now a days on city or highway. There are people everywhere with their vehicle.

Last edited:
The Car I would like to buy is Punto Dynamic as I guessed Emotion would be out of my affordability range, if Dymanic too goes out of my range then I have to settle for Active. I am thinking of Diesel as I know I would be putting it to good use & not drive like crazy maniac, the petrol cost for my bullet runs to about 1000-1200 per month (this was before the hike) now it might run to about 1500 per month I guess

@S-Class hehe nice suggestion but procuring a side car now a days is no easy thing & of course riding my bike with a side car in the city will be a pain with vehicles everywhere like Shailinder said

Yes it does i have booked a diesel car and will keep it for atleast 10 years . I dont have to worry about per km running cost due to high mileage and low diESEL PRICE
right now petrol is 75 and with a 1300 cc car cosr per km is 6-7 per km.

in Diesel mileage will be 15-17 and even if disel reaches 100 in next 8-10 years still per km cost will be 6 per km

The Car I would like to buy is Punto Dynamic as I guessed Emotion would be out of my affordability range, if Dymanic too goes out of my range then I have to settle for Active. I am thinking of Diesel as I know I would be putting it to good use & not drive like crazy maniac, the petrol cost for my bullet runs to about 1000-1200 per month (this was before the hike) now it might run to about 1500 per month I guess
If you are talking about Punto, then petrol is hopless. Better to opt for diesel only, irrespective of version. If petrol opt for Jazz, i10/20.

@S-Class hehe nice suggestion but procuring a side car now a days is no easy thing & of course riding my bike with a side car in the city will be a pain with vehicles everywhere like Shailinder said
Yes but even today, a nice bike with side car with beautiful passengers are head turners.[;)]

I have never been much of a fan of i10, I20 is again out of my affordability range! I might consider Tata Vista with Fiat heart if buying Punto is not an option! Let me see, I feel the rupee will gain ground soon & the prices of Oil will come down as well

Top Bottom