Supreme Court’s Order – No Sunfilms Allowed from 4th May 2012

What should be the legal limit of our side Windows?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Hi All TAI Members this is to bring to your notice that on 27 april Supreme Court of India has passed a judgement stating that nothing can be put on Car Glasses to bring down its visibilty.
So this means No Sunfilms are allowed on glasses irrespective of their visibility.

To Follow the COut Order DCP Traffic of Delhi has issued a guideline saying either people will remove their sunfilms or Traffic police will fine and remove the sun films from your car from 4th May 2012 onwards.

Hope for the best and
Happy Motoring in Hot Summers now....

Last edited:
Re: No Sun Films Are Allowed from 4th May 2012

Government have mentioned the allow limits, so all have to adhere to the allowed limits or fined :-)

I also read the news, however, in the news piece i read had mentioned that the only permissible tints are those with 70 per cent Visual Light Transmission (VLT) for safety glasses on windscreen (front and rear) and 40 per cent VLT for side glasses.

Thread Starter #5

Dear Members,
I have gone through the CMVR Rule and Supreme Court Order and it says that

1.) If Glass is tinted by Car COmpany uptp 70 %(front & Rear) and 50% (Sides) are allowed
and
2.) If any one puts any device, films or by any other mean reduce the VLT provided by Company shall be treated as a wrong practice and hence
no one is allowed to reduce the VLT by any means (sunfilms etc)

So guys No SUN FILMS are allowed now, either they are within permissiable limits or not.

I also read the news, however, in the news piece i read had mentioned that the only permissible tints are those with 70 per cent Visual Light Transmission (VLT) for safety glasses on windscreen (front and rear) and 40 per cent VLT for side glasses.
Permissible limits are already defined in Motor Vehicle Act since long i.e. minimum 70% VLT for front and rear glasses and minimum 50% VLT for side glasses.

Ruling on a PIL, the Supreme Court has now directed the authorities to ensure strict compliance of these permissible limits. The PIL was filed on the grounds that cars with dark tints are used for criminal activities.

My understanding is that if one has installed sun films as per permissible limits, there is no need to remove the same.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

Permissible limits are already defined in Motor Vehicle Act since long i.e. minimum 70% VLT for front and rear glasses and minimum 50% VLT for side glasses.

Ruling on a PIL, the Supreme Court has now directed the authorities to ensure strict compliance of these permissible limits. The PIL was filed on the grounds that cars with dark tints are used for criminal activities.

My understanding is that if one has installed sun films as per permissible limits, there is no need to remove the same.
No the judgement says that anything which reduces the VLT provided by car company shall be punishable and that inclused permissable limits of Sun Films.
Here is the link
http://judis.nic.in/​supremecourt/helddis3.aspx

Last edited:
Re: Supreme Court Orders – No Sunfilms Allowed from 4th May 2012

Hi All TAI Members this is to bring to your notice that on 27 april Supreme Court of India has passed a judgement stating that nothing can be put on Car Glasses to bring down its visibilty.
So this means No Sunfilms are allowed on glasses irrespective of their visibility.

To Follow the COut Order DCP Traffic of Delhi has issued a guideline saying either people will remove their sunfilms or Traffic police will fine and remove the sun films from your car from 4th May 2012 onwards.

Hope for the best and
Happy Motoring in Hot Summers now....
Buddy you misread that, rule is same not changed, 50% visibility on side glasses and 70% visibility on rear and front. If you maintain this then there is no issues.

The guy who filed this case is urging for scraping this rule from CMV act.

Thread Starter #9

Buddy you misread that, rule is same not changed, 50% visibility on side glasses and 75% visibility on rear and front. If you maintain this then there is no issues.

The guy who filed this case is urging for scraping this rule from CMV act.
KIndly PM me your mail ID so that i can send you the judgement.

Thread Starter #10

hi

For ref of all iam attaching a doc file in which i have dowloaded the judgement passed by the Supreme COurt.
Kindly have a look at each and evry word of the judgement and than put forward your review.

Attachments

This rule is applicable pan India or just Delhi ?

yes even i read the same subsequently this is sheer KOLAVERI - downright ridiculous.
What next now ? if they find there are too many rapes/kidnapping occuring in automatic cars ban automatic cars wow super logic if you start such a diagnosis to some of our social problems.

Some cars come with out tinted glasses so how % is permissible ?

Yes alto comes with a green tinted glasses in lx & lxi versions..

tornado78 read that so they added new thing that only manufacturer can add VLT but yes permissible limits remains same for all throughout India.

50% for side glass and 70% for rear and front glass, i hope all manufacturer's provide this.

Now again ordinary citizens like us has to bear the burnt of failure of government to curb crime rate, these guys are useless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom