Bajaj Qute: The Low Cost Four Wheeler

Thread Starter #1
Still betting big on the ultra low-cost car segment, Renault/Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn on Sunday said the company was committed to develop a budget car in partnership with Bajaj Auto despite some differences and difficulties on the project.

Ghosn, who was here for the India Economic Summit, said a low cost-car on the lines of Tata's Nano was still relevant not only in India, but even globally and the three partners were working to develop one by 2011.

Giving details on the plans for the car, he said,
The entry price point, which will be $2,500 is still very important for the market, not only for India, but also for lot of emerging markets. We have to bring in the car with basic feature, basic functionality at a very affordable price.
He, however, declined to comment if their proposed small car would stick to the earlier announced price point of $2,500.
..(whether) it is going to be $2,500 or $2,800 or $3,000 (not sure)... (but) I am stuck into making customers happy and satisfied. But it is not going to be very far of ...,
Ghosn said when asked if project is stuck due to differences with Bajaj on issues like price point as well as branding.

He said he was aware of the progress of Tata Motors with the Nano. "I know that some of our competitors like Tata has already put the car in the market ... its moving on. We will continue to work to bring in this car (with Bajaj) into the market," Ghosn said.

He further said,
I am very optimistic about the growth of the market in India. When you move from two million cars a year to six million cars a year, this is very appealing to global carmakers.
Ghosn also lauded India's capability in frugal engineering and frugal product planning and said it was crucial in the backdrop of the global downturn and shift towards small and lower-priced products. "The products that are selling the most are the products affordable but with just necessary features and I think Indian engineers are second to none in this segment."

Source - EconomicTimes

Bajaj is developing their own small car - Lite.

Are they taking help from Nissan.

MODS - Please move above 2 post to new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes!!

These guys would have learnt all the lessons from TATA now!

I hope this should be a perfect car

Thread Starter #5
Bajaj to use bike, 3-wheeler parts in $2,500 car

A joint venture between Nissan-Renault and Bajaj Auto, which plans to launch a low-cost car to compete with the Tata Nano, will have 70-80% of its parts in common with those used in the Pune-based company’s scooters, motorcycles and three-wheelers. This will result in the project cost for the new car being pared down from Rs 1,500 crore to around Rs 200-300 crore.

In May 2008, Bajaj, Nissan and Renault had announced plans to manufacture 4,00,000 ultra low cost (ULC) cars per year at a new plant, which would have cost Rs 1,500 crore. Nearly all aspects of that earlier agreement have now changed. “I don’t have a number as yet but my estimate is that it would be closer to around 20% of the earlier investment figure due to common product aggregates and common facilities,” Bajaj Auto MD Rajiv Bajaj told ET.

Bajaj Auto has a 50% stake in the JV while Nissan and Renault have 25% each. “There is excess capacity in the global car market. Our thinking was that if the ULC is a standalone project, it will be vulnerable to business cycles. We decided to derisk the project by leaning on our motorcycle and three-wheelers for its platform and aggregates. Around 70-80% of the internal components should be common,” said Mr Bajaj.

Source - EconomicTimes

good news, bajaj coming up finally with their ULC car for global market, this was showcased during autoshow along with nano, but then things didnt worked out with bajaj-renault programme.Looking forward to see what they offer with pricing.

350Z

Core Team
I saw this car last Year at Expo. Must say, Looks much more better than van-like Nano as a cheap car. However, The flat rear design is something which I wouldn't like to comment much about.

Low Cost Car From Bajaj To Feature DTS-i Techonology

Bajaj, Renault and Nissan have sorted out the issues between them and are gearing up for the development of the ULC car which is targets the Tata Nano.
Bajaj might feature its Digital Twin Spark ignition technology in this low cost car. This technology works even better when combined with Computerized Direct Ignition system and the gen-next throttle response system.
In order to reduce the cost of the car, Bajaj will use around 70-80% of the parts currently used in motorcycles, scooters and three-wheelers. Bajaj will use its existing two-wheeler manufacturing plants to set up assembly units for this low cost car rather than setting up a dedicated manufacturing plant for them.
Source: IAB

Drive Safe!
350Z

napster

Suspended
I heard about it on TV a long time ago, even before TATA announced its NANO but after that no news about it. I almost forgot the car.

Thread Starter #10
Rahul Bajaj says no 'hamara Nano' for now

Economictimes -
bajaj.jpg
Bajaj Auto chairman Rahul Bajaj said the company no longer finds it a “good idea” .Called the Ultra Low Car (ULC), the concept was planned as a joint venture with Nissan and Renault and it would have led Bajaj’s foray into the car market. Priced at Rs 1 lakh, it would have taken on the Nano on Indian roads. However, recent reports had suggested that the car may not even have the Bajaj brand name too.
“There appears to be no point in launching a new car when there are already so many models in the market - from Mercedes to Nano. We did want to launch a low-cost car but now we have changed our mind,” said Bajaj. With his tongue firmly-in-cheek , he added, “Let the company focus on bikes and then think of cars. First, the company can upgrade the three-wheelers . Maybe, we can add a fourth wheel to it and make something like a carry van, but it will certainly not be a car.”

What a surprising development. A month ago it looked like Nissan Bajaj have finally agreed on making something like nano and now a suddden withdrawl?

Wow!!

Atleast they are clear now of what they really are?

Let them concentrate on quality bikes first, then they can upgrade to three wheelies & four wheelies as they said.

Wow!!

Atleast they are clear now of what they really are?

Let them concentrate on quality bikes first, then they can upgrade to three wheelies & four wheelies as they said.
I think they are already making "three wheelies'!!

Top Bottom