Battle of the Entry Level UVs: Sumo Gold vs Bolero

Which UV is better buy at the moment

• Sumo Gold

Votes: 61 37.2%
  • Bolero

Votes: 103 62.8%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Now before you jump in let THE XOVER tell you that he knows Bolero is the king of all entry level UVs.With per month sales figure of 8000 units it can literally put some of the entry level hatches to shame.Sumo Victa, though a capable car yet was never a challenge to the ruggedness, looks and that tractor derived 2.5 lt mdi engine.This engine could pull the pants of Tata 2.0 lt tcic engine before it could blink and yes some more.But "GOD bless the competition" in comes the Sumo Gold------Tata's old iconic warrior in new guise, new weapons and also better legs.It gets the same iconic and mega torquey 3000 cc 407 engine in new cr4 guise for better drivability, torque and refinement,ARAI approved efficiency of 14.7 kmpl,anti roll bars with softened suspension for better ride and handling.Last month thanks to Gold the Sumo series (constitutes of Victa,Gold & Grande) clocked close to 3500 shipments to the dealer.So can Gold revive the future of Sumo series, if the reviews it is getting by the people is anything to go by then the fight is on.Lets see.Here is a small comparo of power and torque between these two UVs:

ENGINE TORQUE PRICE(apx)

Bolero 2500 cc m2dcr 190NM Abt 5 to 7 L

Sumo GOLD 3000 cc cr4 255 NM 5 to 7 lakh

Re: Battle of the Entry level UVs:Sumo Gold vs Bolero

Anyday for me in this competition my vote is for Bolero.

Bolero has proven for its ruggedness and have won hands in rural masses and so is the sumo(but now [thumbsdown] in front of Bolero[evil].)

Sumo has served People well but what i expected in the Gold version was a newer body and some extra features.

Re: Battle of the Entry level UVs:Sumo Gold vs Bolero

My vote goes to Bolero,why?
simple it is:-
1):Butch looks.
2):Comparatively compact size.
3):Prefect for mod jobs.
4):Better image.
5):Does not look dated at all.
6):Comparatively high revving engine,better than the 3000 rpm redlined Tata 3.0.

Cons of Bolero:-
1):Not comfy at all,Sumo simply wins here.
2):Ride is also not as good as Sumo.
3):Space.

But still,my vote goes to Bolero,Bolero takes too much points on appeal.
Now let the pics speak:-

Attachments

Look wise, Bolero wins; but ride quality is better in sumo.
I haven't driven both these vehicles, nor can I coz it is damn uncomfortable for me to steer in both vehicles.

But, Bolero seems more VFM. But yes, if Grande is bought into picture, then situation can change.

I liked Bolero - Mahindra has really worked on its old UV improved with engine.However Tata has shown little interest in Sumo and even facelifts are half hearted -engine and looks being a case in point.Bolero looks more premium despite being in production for more than decade.So my vote goes for bolero.

@mods -by mistake I voted for Sumo Gold.Can the vote cast for Sumo Gold be changed in favour for Bolero.

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for the Bolero.

The Sumo betters the Bolero when it comes to space & ride quality.

But, the bolero is definitely more capable (on & off road), can handle much more abuse, is better built, more refined, much more reliable & now it looks even better than the Sumo which looks like a typical call centre cab.

P.S.: Error - the Sumo is 250 Nm, not 255.

Thread Starter #7
To be frank i don't like both the cars but if asked to pick one , i will pick the Bolero just because of its looks! Bolero after all these years still looks fresh , Sumo feels and looks dated even with the new facelift.

My friend has a Bolero , he just put alloys , fatter tyres , Auxuliary lamps in the roof , LED lighting , good ICE , a few extra gauges for the interiors and voila its a head turner in the streets now!

I went through that Autocar review , they are not very impressed with the car. Their verdict was if you are on a tight budget and looking at a mass transporter then Sumo makes a good case for itself.

well Xovy dear,you read a bit too much in the mags,so now you need to have a look at some practical too.Many times I have mentioned,there is a lot of difference in the magazines and our own driving styles,likes and dislikes.

+1 to Dhaya,Bolero looks killer if modded well.While if you do same to a sumo then it won't be a head turner but it will be a Joke on four wheels as people will look at it but for making fun of it,not praising it.

Thread Starter #11
I personally hate Bolero be it for its look or its ride or that tractor derived crude mdi engine.Tata Sumo still looks timeless to me.I personally love silver coloured Victa, it reminds me so much of Vintage British SUVs, while Bolero looks like a lame attempt of wannabe Merc G wagen.[evil]

Last edited:

zengetz

Suspended
Bolero looks killer if modded well.While if you do same to a sumo then it won't be a head turner but it will be a Joke on four wheels as people will look at it but for making fun of it,not praising it.
Totally agree with you there Vipul.

I vote for the bolero. It has so much potential to be modded. I see a a heavily decked up Bolero here in Hyderabad with massive Bull bars and super heavy wheels. Just cant take your eyes off it.

Looks apart, the bolero has the heart too. Put on those Cargos teamed with your aviator lenses and you are in business!

Sumo I can never see it to be self driven car. Clichéd may be but that's the fact.

I cant even imagine going to my buddies and say "Guys I guess what I bought! A Sumo!! "

I personally hate Bolero be it for its look or its ride or that tractor derived crude mdi engine.Tata Sumo still looks timeless to me.I personally love silver coloured Victa, it reminds me so much of Vintage British SUVs, while Bolero looks like a lame attempt of wannabe Merc G wagen.[evil]
Lolz.... You are to partial towards TATA product.

To me Bolero anyday, it has good looks, can take abuse.

Bolero can take it as compliment, i thought Merc copied the style from Bolero, and no one would like a 1 crore product having such dated looks.

Also the facelifted version, with digital meter takes it to all new level.

Come on Xover, you are again having biased views.

Last edited:
I personally hate Bolero be it for its look or its ride or that tractor derived crude mdi engine.
Dude things have changed in the new Bolero! for your information Now Bolero uses 'Mdi CRDe' which is called to be the country's cheapest CRDe technology engine to be used by Mahindra

And Tata fearing that Bolero would still make the Sumo extinct just upgraded it with a new CR4 engine and some minor cosmetic changes thus raising the prices further more.

And Mahindra did not hike the prices for the new Bolero when it was launched except for the ZLX variant.

Yes, Bolero is much tougher and powerful than the Sumo. However i think ride quality and comfortwise, Sumo holds an upper hand.
Also looks are much better and aggressive to the previous Bolero versions. Sumo seems to kept the same dated looks(front and Rear)...Grow up TATA!!

Top Bottom