Commercial Vehicles in India: News & Updates

Thread Starter #1
Okay fellas this thread is supposed to have commercial vehicles that are being launched and about to launch so we can discuss about them in this thread:

Tata motors Launches new luxury coach called Divo and Starbus Ultra

Tata Divo:
Tata-LPO-1628-DIVO-Coach-big-280511.jpg

The brand-new luxury AC coach is meant for inter-city passenger transportation and tourist operations. The Tata Divo body design comes from Hispano Carrocera of Spain, a fully-owned subsidiary of Tata Motors, providing a truly international standard ride to the long-distance traveller.

The sleek body and the luxurious interiors are a treat to the eye. Tata Divo offers customised interior features such as different seating layouts in semi-sleeper and seater configurations, wide seats with up to 135-degree recline with head flaps and armrests, generous saloon space with high roof, hat-racks with personalised controls for AC and reading lights, large luggage space, making it the ultimate luxurious coach. In addition, an entertainment system with DVD player and two LCD screens, on-board refrigerator, mobile charging points, destination board, and public address system, enhance the travel experience.

The BS 3 compliant Tata Divo’s drive-train is engineered by a 285HP, powerful Cummins engine, a breakthrough in terms of technology and reliability. The engine is mated to a six-speed overdrive gearbox for higher fuel efficiency, and there is a larger, 430mm diameter clutch for enhanced life, exceptional braking performance with a hydrodynamic retarder, and a superior independent front axle for better maneuverability. All this translates into superior performance.

Driver comfort has been taken to the next level, as the bus has a pneumatically suspended seat for more comfort, electronic accelerator pedal and precision gear shifting for minimising driver fatigue, and a new aesthetic dashboard and instrument cluster with on-board diagnostics.

Tata Divo not only stands for world-class design, assured reliability and superior performance, but also scores high on safety. The hydrodynamic retarder ensures better safety and the exceptional aerodynamic drag coefficient increases vehicle stability.

Customers can personalise the Tata Divo by choosing a preferred colour scheme and styling options. The range will be available across all dealerships from January 2012 onwards.

Tata Starbus Ultra:
2010-Tata-Starbus-with-AMT.jpg
Tata Starbus Ultra opens up a whole new world of comfort and luxury for office-goers, hotel guests, tourists and schoolchildren. Meant primarily for intra-city transport, the luxury variant can also be used for inter-city travel.

The Tata Starbus Ultra is available in luxury, standard, school and deluxe variants. These are available in different seating configurations, on different wheelbases, thereby providing the customer with a whole range to select from.

The Tata Starbus Ultra has an outstanding aerodynamic body design and aggregates which conform to the Bus Body Code. The Tata Starbus Ultra is the first bus in its category with the front door ahead of the front axle, resulting in more seats for the same length of bus and subsequently, better returns for the operator. The advanced parabolic suspension, wider aisle width and super comfortable seating ensure that commuters have a smooth and peaceful ride.

The Tata Starbus Ultra is designed using the reliable Tata 497 engine along with a viscous fan, resulting in higher fuel efficiency and lowest NVH levels in its category. The six-speed gearbox with overdrive and cable shift mechanism ensures higher mileage, more speed selection options and a higher maximum speed, while also providing 30 per cent more life.

The high-strength chassis and stronger rear axle enhance the life of the vehicle, while the wider tubeless radial tyres give a longer running life. The service interval has also been doubled for more on-road availability and to significantly reduce maintenance costs for the operators.

The wider track axle and lowest-in-class turning circle diameter help in vehicle stability and manoeuvrability for the driver. Tiltable and telescopic steering with a high-capacity power-steering pump, dashboard-mounted gear lever with car-like gear shifting reduce driver fatigue.

The luxury variant comes with engine-driven individual AC vents, for each passenger. The modular hat-rack is integrated with AC vents and reading lamps. Push-back seats with up to 135-degree recline with arm-rests and footrests make travel heavenly.

The deluxe variant has hi-back reclining seats for extra comfort. Rear and side luggage booths give ample space for storage. LCD screen fitment and CD/DVD player provision on request, completes the delightful experience. The school variant is equipped with 25 safety features along with all the comfort features for children.

The Tata Starbus Ultra price range starts from Rs15 lakh, ex-showroom New Delhi.

Courtesy:finchannel.com

Re: Indian commercial vehicles launches thread.

Thanks Viswas for creating this wonderful thread.[thumbsup]

Tata Divo looks stunning,but the real question is will people forlorn Volvos and Merc buses for the sake of it.At 66 lacs I think its a tad expensive.Tata Starbus at 15 lacs is also overpriced.But the most wonderful news for me is the 285 HP Cummins engine, The Xover says bring this engine into your PRIMA truck range soon Tata,trust me a lot of people are waiting for it.[clap]

Thread Starter #3
Re: Indian commercial vehicles launches thread.

Thanks Viswas for creating this wonderful thread.[thumbsup]

Tata Divo looks stunning,but the real question is will people forlorn Volvos and Merc buses for the sake of it.At 66 lacs I think its a tad expensive.[clap]
Don't know what Tata have in their minds[angel] but these buses gonna rock the world from private tour operators as people need a change.

But the most wonderful news for me is the 285 HP Cummins engine
Yes its capable to give fight for B9Rs and B7Rs.

, The Xover says bring this engine into your PRIMA truck range soon Tata,trust me a lot of people are waiting for it.
People won't buy higher powered engines for trucks because of these reasons:
1)India have not fully developed the roads to the level which these big rigs keeps pace

2) Higher the power output lower the FE so not appreciated by them

3) Even if they bring this the peak torque should be low(you know its a truck thing)

Tata Starbus at 15 lacs is also overpriced
Not for the premium features.

Re: Upcoming Commercial Vehicles in India

From the picture I find Divo a xerox copy of Volvo B7R except for the front part! Any idea what is the price of a B7R or B9R or even Merc buses cost in India? Someone mentioned about Scania coming into Commercial Bus segment as well. I'd love to see some of the European models on Indian roads.

From the picture I find Divo a xerox copy of Volvo B7R except for the front part! Any idea what is the price of a B7R or B9R or even Merc buses cost in India? Someone mentioned about Scania coming into Commercial Bus segment as well. I'd love to see some of the European models on Indian roads.
Side profile of most buses will be almost similar.

As explained by Viswas already, body styling of Divo is from Hispano carrocera of Spain which is a famous coach builder and now a 100% subsidiary of Tata Motors.

Merc Buses cost around 85 lacs in India and Volvo also costs similar.

OT on a lighter side - Why it should be Xerox? Canon also give good photocopies[;)]

Honestly, i dont think Tata can match Volvo's class. They are surely introducing new features on every aspect. Tata Divo looks great, more like a copy of the B7R.

Here are the approx prices:
Volvo B7R: 75 Lacs
Volvo B9R: 85 Lacs
Mercedes Sutlej: 80 Lacs

Last edited:

For that kind of money, these buses look ugly. From front, the Divo is very boring & 1990'ish, the headlights spoil the game.

the starbus ultra is too over the top... For 15 lakhs, the starbus ultra with the 407 engine??? Whoa!

AMG

Suspended

All tata had to do was to build a bus with the Tata Prima front.

How much scope is there to goof up in that.

But kudos to Tata, they can goof up, no matter how impossible it can look.

I have traveled by Volvo B7R, B9R & Mercedes Sutlej & found that the seats of Mercedes are horrible. Lack of shoulder room, leg room is very cramped. It was Purple-Metro Link dual axle Merc coach. Same was situation with Konduskar [frustration]. I found seating arrangement of Volvo far comfortable.
In terms of ride, NVH, suspension etc. Mercedes was good, no doubt.
Btw, that Sutlej tag on Merc bus looks too cheap. Seems someone took out Tata/AL logo & stuck Merc tri-star with sutlej body [lol].

Thread Starter #10

Scania is planning to bring their buses by 2013 or 14 but the main priority will be given to long haulers and tippers
Give a look at this thread:
Side profile of most buses will be almost similar.

As explained by Viswas already, body styling of Divo is from Hispano carrocera of Spain which is a famous coach builder and now a 100% subsidiary of Tata Motors.

Merc Buses cost around 85 lacs in India and Volvo also costs similar.
Correct,The divo takes some cues and the front pillar from Hispano.

OT on a lighter side - Why it should be Xerox? Canon also give good photocopies[;)]
This thing is going on and on in my mind from the day it has been launched.

Honestly, i dont think Tata can match Volvo's class. They are surely introducing new features on every aspect. Tata Divo looks great, more like a copy of the B7R.

Here are the approx prices:
Volvo B7R: 75 Lacs
Volvo B9R: 85 Lacs
Mercedes Sutlej: 80 Lacs
That's Tata's strategy brother they bring a lot of hype in their products
It's better to go for Volvos

For that kind of money, these buses look ugly. From front, the Divo is very boring & 1990'ish, the headlights spoil the game.
Divo front looks very common and has no special appearance like Volvos.

the starbus ultra is too over the top... For 15 lakhs, the starbus ultra with the 407 engine??? Whoa!
Wonder how it performs in Ghats[frustration]

All tata had to do was to build a bus with the Tata Prima front.
How much scope is there to goof up in that.
But kudos to Tata, they can goof up, no matter how impossible it can look.
Prima truck range and designs are from Daewoo i think.So they have designed on their own,whatever Volvo rocks

I have traveled by Volvo B7R, B9R & Mercedes Sutlej & found that the seats of Mercedes are horrible. Lack of shoulder room, leg room is very cramped. It was Purple-Metro Link dual axle Merc coach. Same was situation with Konduskar [frustration]. I found seating arrangement of Volvo far comfortable.
Yes very true i have heard a lot of complaints that Mercs buses tires the journey and another example by you.

In terms of ride, NVH, suspension etc. Mercedes was good, no doubt.
Btw, that Sutlej tag on Merc bus looks too cheap. Seems someone took out Tata/AL logo & stuck Merc tri-star with sutlej body .
The bus looks good when viewed from a distance that's all.

Yes very true i have heard a lot of complaints that Mercs buses tires the journey and another example by you.
Yes, and I am saying this despite being a die hard fan of Merc.

The bus looks good when viewed from a distance that's all.
And it looks smaller than Volvo. Don't have exact dimensions with me, but Volvo looks bigger. The width of the passage too, is more in Volvo.

Thread Starter #12

Yes, and I am saying this despite being a die hard fan of Merc.

And it looks smaller than Volvo. Don't have exact dimensions with me, but Volvo looks bigger. The width of the passage too, is more in Volvo.
The Main reason: Sutlej body.
Did you try to find out the max speed of merc? AFAIK Volvo has ability to cross 130+ kmph

The Main reason: Sutlej body.
Did you try to find out the max speed of merc? AFAIK Volvo has ability to cross 130+ kmph
I have seen it doing 110 kmph. However, this 130 for Volvo must be for B9R & not B7R. Correct me if I am wrong.
Btw, is Volvo bus made completely in house ??

Btw, is Volvo bus made completely in house ??
In India Volvo buses has their body built by Jaico Automotive Engineers (JAE), Azad Group.

However now Volvo has opted to set up its own bus body-building unit in Bangalore. Engine parts and chassis are manufactured in Sweden.

This is because, there were lot of complaints on defects in structural design, defective air-conditioning against the buses.

Thread Starter #15

Top Bottom