Mahindra & Mahindra: The Story Of “Rise”

Thread Starter #1
logo_mahindra_rise.gif

Chairman - Keshub Mahindra - He joined Mahindra & Mahindra in 1947 and became Chairman in 1963.

Keshub-Mahindra.jpg

Vice Chairman - Anand Mahindra - He started off at Mahindra in 1981 when he joined Mahindra Ugine Steel Co (MUSCO). In 1991, he was appointed Deputy Managing Director of Mahindra & Mahindra. In 1997, he was promoted to Managing Director, and in 2003 he also became Vice Chairman.

Anand-Mahindra.jpg

President (Automotive & Farm Equipment Sector) - Pawan Goenka - He joined Mahindra in October 1993 as a General Manager, R&D. In April 2003 he was appointed COO of the Automotive sector, in September 2005 he became President, and in April 2010 he assumed his current role leading both the Automotive and Farm Equipment sectors.

Pawan-Goenka.jpg

In 1945, two enterprising brothers named J.C. Mahindra and K.C. Mahindra joined forces with Ghulam Mohammed and started Mahindra & Mohammed as a steel company in Mumbai.

JC-Mahindra.jpg
KC-Mahindra.jpg

Two years later, India won its independence, Ghulam Mohammed left the company to become Pakistan’s first finance minister, and the Mahindra brothers ignited the company's enduring growth with their decision to manufacture Willys jeeps in Mumbai. The company’s new name? Mahindra & Mahindra.

Soon established as the Jeep manufacturers of India, M&M later branched out into the manufacture of light commercial vehicles (LCVs) and agricultural tractors.

The US based Reputation Institute recently ranked Mahindra among the top 10 Indian companies in its 'Global 200: The World's Best Corporate Reputations' list.

- Today Mahindra is a US $14.4 billion multinational group with more than 144,000 employees in over 100 countries across the globe.
- Their operations include aerospace, aftermarket, agribusiness, automotive, components, construction equipment, consulting services, defense, energy, farm equipment, finance and insurance, industrial equipment, information technology, leisure and hospitality, logistics, real estate, retail, and two wheelers.
- Mahindra Finance is India’s largest rural non-banking financial company (NBFC).
- Mahindra Bolero is India’s best-selling UV for four consecutive years and No. 1 in TNS India Total Customer Satisfaction Study, SUV/MUV segment.
- They designed the first multi utility tractor in India which won AE50 Outstanding Innovation Award from the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, 2007.
- Mahindra Satyam created an IP-based model called iDecisions to help airline operators reduce emissions and optimize fuel usage.

Some facts about Mahindra -

The company was established on 2nd October 1945 as Mahindra & Mohammed. In 1949, the company began Jeep assembly. The company joined hands with Willys Overland Corporation in 1954 to assemble Jeep-type vehicles in India. The year 1969 was marked in the history of Mahindra & Mahindra as the company entered the world market with export of utility vehicles and spare parts. Mahindra Engines developed an indigenous diesel engine for its vehicles to beat the fuel crisis in 1975. In 1984, Mahindra Hellenic Auto Industries S.A. was established in Greece to assemble and market utility vehicles in Europe.

In 1991, the company introduced the Commander range of vehicles and the Armada range of vehicles was unveiled in 1993. The Mahindra Ford India Limited was established in 1996 to manufacture passenger cars. The largest online used vehicle website in India was launched by Mahindra Network Services in 1999. The company adopts a new logo in 2000. The Scorpio was launched in 2002. The Scorpio ushered in a new generation, world-class Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) that redefined the SUV market and lived up to its positioning: 'Nothing else will do'. In 2004, the Bolero and Scorpio were launched in Latin American, Middle East and South African markets.

Mahindra & Mahindra became the first Indian auto manufacturer to launch the Common Rail Diesel Engine (CRDe), offering it in the Scorpio in 2005. In the same year, Mahindra Renault Limited was established, which was a joint venture with Renault to manufacture and market Logan, a mid-sized sedan, in India.

Mahindra Bolero won the title of ‘UV Number 1’ in 2006 and Mahindra & Mahindra displayed the Scorpio Hybrid was at the Delhi Auto Expo along with 9 other prototype vehicles. In four years, the Mahindra Scorpio crossed the one lakh production mark.

The global launch of the Scorpio Pik-Up range was held in South Africa that indicates the company’s global growth plans. Moreover, the Scorpio and the Bolero marched into Kenya in 2004, as part of Mahindra & Mahindra’s globalisation drive.

The Logan was rolled out in 2007 from the Greenfield facility at Nashik. The Logan was the highest selling sedan and Scorpio the highest selling SUV in July 2007.

IMahindra & Mahindra Limited rolled out its 2 millionth vehicle in July 2007, achieving a significant sales milestone. Over the last decade itself, Mahindra has sold 1 million vehicles.

Mahindra & Mahindra has been awarded the ISO/IEC 27001:2005 certificate. This completes the company's successful migration from BS 7799 to ISO 27001. The company received the certificate in New Delhi from Dr.SL Sarnot, Director General, STQC Directorate, Ministry of IT, Govt of India.

Mahindra & Mahindra was ranked second in the prestigious Most Trusted Car Company in India in a study conducted by TNS.

Mahindra & Mahindra was ranked 22nd in Business India's annual survey of the country top companies - Super 100.

Mahindra announced a landmark breakthrough in Indian alternate fuel technology by formally announcing its emphasis on bio-diesel and unveiled the bio-diesel Scorpio and Bolero DI vehicles for 100% real world usage trials.

In 2008, the automobile maker launched the Environment Friendly Bolero Pik-Up CNG in Delhi. In the same year Mahindra & Mahindra commenced first CKD operations abroad and launched the Mahindra Scorpio in Egypt.

The company acquired renowned Italian design house, Grafica Ricerca Design S.r.l (GRD) Italy in 2008.

The Mahindra Xylo was launched on January 13 2009 and the new mighty muscular Scorpio was launched on March 6.

Mahindra & Mahindra is currently gearing up to sell the Scorpio SUV and pickup starting in the Autumn of 2009 in North America, through an independent distributor, Global Vehicles USA, based in Alpharetta, Georgia.

One of the largest Indian automotive conglomerates, the Mahindra & Mahindra has acquired plants in China and the United Kingdom. Moreover, it has three assembly plants in the USA.

P.S.: This thread is to discuss the Mahindra brand, its history, its lineage, its products & to share some unknown facts about Mahindra.

(Information is sourced from various websites)

Thread Starter #2
Re: Mahindra - Rise.

Some of the products offered by Mahindra -

Attachments

Last edited:

Excellent piece of information Raj! Thanks for sharing the whole story,
And another interesting information is Mahindra has proven reliability after they initiated BPRE in 1999 or 2000 and after adopting this method their first released model was Scorpio which has proven to be a mighty muscular one now.

And the CRDe Engine which now does the work in Bolero is said to be the cheapest in the country with CRDe technology.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Source : Wikipedia

Defense:

Mahindra & Mahindra became involved in defense systems in 1947, when it started importing, assembling, and adapting the Willys Jeeps used in World War II. It later began designing and constructing its own line of armored vehicles, becoming the largest private-sector supplier to the Government of India. Today, Mahindra & Mahindra partners with several countries to provide a range of defense solutions for police forces, Armies, and Navies—including sea mines, surveillance solutions, weapons, ammunition, and more.

Defence Land Systems India is Mahindra & Mahindra’s joint venture with BAE Systems, a world leader in defense technology. With more than 100 employees, it develops new technologies and manufactures armored vehicles like the Axe, Rakshak, Marksman, up-armored and bulletproof Scorpios and Boleros, and Rapid Intervention Vehicles. Its Special Military Vehicles facility outside Faridabad is ISO-9000-2008 certified. The facility manufactures world-class military vehicles, select artillery systems, and other land system weapons and will provide support to the Indian Army as it pursues its Field Artillery Rationalization Plan and upgrade program as a center for design, development, manufacture, assembly, integration, and test of artillery systems

Raj a true Hybrid Scorpio vehicle will be out by 2014, Bosch is working on this project.

A friend of mine shared this info , not only that it would also incorporate regenerative braking, a technology where the braking system that can recapture much of the car's kinetic energy and convert it into electricity, so that it can be used to recharge the car's batteries.

Again the power stored in battery can be used to power the engine.

I used to love Mahindra Jeeps and I do.
Still but My respects towards them were lost when I realized all of their models were plagiary right from jeep.
Even until today this is what their marketing trend is all about.Just copy some nits and bits from here and there and lure the masses in the name of strength and reliability.

I agree mahindra could be reliable but wish they had been Genuine it would be great Indian product.

Nonetheless they are making money and everything is forgotten/pardoned in front of money!

Btw from above pic: that huge military vehical looks awesome (maybe original design of mahindra) and White Xuv is looking funny like an alien.

Thread Starter #9

6 decades, 6 continents, 11$ billion

India's no. 1 utility player

World's no. 1 tractor company

India's no. 1 multi brand pre owned car ompany

India's no. 1 rural NBFC

India's no. 1 rural housing finance company

No. 1 commercial vehicles forgings in Europe

India's no. 1 Ferrite manufacturer

India's no. 1 Holiday company

Tech mahindra - no. 1 in telecom software

1st tractor company in the world to be awarded the prestigious DEMING APPLICATION PRIZE for quality excellence

1st tractor company in the world to be awarded JAPAN QUALITY MEDAL

India's first 0.5 ton compact truck - Gio

World's first C2 CRDe mini truck - Maxximo

India's first diesel electric hybrid vehicle - Scorpio Hybrid

India's first green homes devloper

India's first ISO 9001:2000 certified IT company - Mahindra Satyam

First Indian IT company to sponsor FIFA world cup 2010 - Mahindra Satyam

India's first mine protected 6x6 vehicle

India's first light bullet proof vehicle in the Indian Army

1st Indian company with transport solution across land, air & water

One of only two Indian brands in the top 27 "Great Brands of Tomorrow"

One of Forbes Asian Fab 50

One of Forbes World's 200 Most Reputable companies

One of Asia's best performing companies - tech mahindra

Xylo won 'UV of the year' & 'MPV of the year' awards

Duro won 'best scooter of the year' award

Won 'National Energy Conservation' award from the Ministry of Power

Club Mahindra won the RCI gold crown for the 10th year running

Won the Most Admired Retailer of the year at Indian retail forum

Won Pegasus corporate social responsibility gold award

Won employer brand of the year award

Won Golden peacock award for excellence in corporate governance

Keshub Mahindra won the Lifetime Achievement award

Anand mahindra won Outstanding business leader of the year

Pawan Goenka won Automotive Man of the year award

Source - Steeroids.in

Nice thread! A take on one of the bigger conglomerates of our times. and btw my wife works for TechM!

Thread Starter #12

My experience with Mahindras (actually, our journey from being a TATA loyalist to a Mahindra fan) -

1990s -

1) 1990s -We have a construction company & we needed many rugged vehicles meant for carrying workers and even equipment to sites, where no roads existed. I remember we had some MM550s, 2-3 Armadas, 2 Sumos, etc. All the vehicles were thoroughly abused & still stood strong & doing their duties diligently. I still remember, I had gone to see the movie "Kuch Kuch Hota Hain" with family in a blue MM540! some of my driving lessons were on the Jeeps, Sumos & armadas! I had even gone to Lonavala, Nashik, etc. in the Sumos. My dad preferred the TATAs.

2) Early 2000 - Dad turned anti-TATA. We had a safari which started giving issues. We had a pista green Indica in Kerela, it was giving troubles. The sumos in site were also not trouble free. Slowly we started phasing out the TATAs with Mahindras & Tempo Trax (now Force). Even Trax was very reliable but the only problem was that the dealers & service centres were very few.

3) 2003 - We sold the safari as well and were looking for a replacement. Some months back, Mahindra had launched the Scorpio. We bought a silver GLX in March 2003. The car is still with us & had 2 lac kms on its odo.

4) 2005 - We had another safari as well, used by another director. Even that started giving issues. So on my recommendation, he bought a white Scorpio CRDe SLX as replacement.

5) 2006 - We bought a Mahindra Load King Super.

6) 2007 - We had two TATA 207 DI pick up trucks & one Mahindra Pik Up in a site in Edapally, Kerela. The mini trucks were used to carry equipment & containers to the site. There was a steep incline en route & the 207 could not simply pull heavy loads up the incline to the site whereas the Mahindras could do it. We bought one Bolero Camper.

7) 2008 - Bought a Scorpio mHawk VLX in Mumbai. One of the most thrilling Mahindra ever.

8) 2010 - Bought a black Scorpio m2Di in Kerela as a tourist vehicle.

9) 2011 - The other director, who was using the Scorpio SLX bought a replacement - guess what? another white Scorpio Refresh VLX.

A great thread it is,have read this thread entirely and quite impressed too.In fact I have learnt many new facts about the M&M.
Till date i used to think that M&M is always the first Indian manufacturer to bring the latest technology in its vehicles,but this thread has many more.

Rest,only one thing is missing in this thread,the true spice of M&M,the JEEP heritage of M&M,from here you can download it,I can assure that some of your MBs won't go waste in downloading this.I am not adding pics of it as I want Raj to do them,so have a look at the:-
Mahindra JEEP heritage..a must view and collector's copy(meant to be preserved).

Thread Starter #15

Testimony to Mahindra's reliability -

Mahindras have always been the first choice when it comes to the Indian military. MM540 & MM550 4WD jeeps have ferried our soldiers to the most remote places. Whether its the Marksman, Anti mine vehicles or Rakshak, Mahindra has always instilled a confidence in the Indian Army which was hard to shake.

The Axe, Mahindra's version of a go anywhere vehicle, is built exactly to the Army's specifications & needs.

Mahindra Defence Systems - Vehicle Armouring Solutions

Top Bottom