Scania Setups Manufacturing Plant in Karnataka

Thread Starter #1
Sweden’s truck major Scania Commercial Vehicles India Private Limited said that it plans to expand its presence in India, by setting up its independent production facility in Karnataka by 2013.

Scania India Managing Director Henrik Fagrenius said that the company is in the planning phase of finalising the land for the plant, without disclosing the details of investment.

Scania, which has been in a dealership agreement with construction major Larsen & Toubro (L&T) since 2007, has decided to build the facility from where it would assemble its products and sell it in the Indian market. “Till date, the company has sold around 650 18-axle mining trucks, each with a capacity of over 25 tonne, through the agreement with L&T,” Fagrenius said.

“Most of these trucks are being used by the mining industry, along with some of them finding buyers in the construction business as well,” Fagrenius added. Considering India as a major market, he opined that with ample reserves of minerals such as coal and iron ore in the country, there is enough scope for Scania to market its trucks here. Besides, with the promise of better infrastructure in the future, eventually, the company could contemplate rolling out many of its other state-of-the-art products, which include different kinds of trucks for both off-road and inter-city use, buses and engines.

The new facility would assemble off-road long haulage trucks, and also buses. “There are many upcoming sectors requiring these products for transportation purposes. Besides, the buses would find a market among all areas: inter-city, tour operators, airports and so on,” he said, adding that the dealership with L&T would continue. Once the facility is completed, Scania plans to annually roll out 2,000 trucks and 1,000 buses by 2015, Fagrenius said.

He added, “Scania would look at employing local talent in this venture, which would be trained to assemble the products that would arrive from Europe in knocked-down kits. We would also train the local staff in the after-sales service.”]
00.jpg
Courtesy:Deccan Herald

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Scania to setup their plant in Karnataka

Vishwas, thanks for sharing the news.

I am a newbie when it comes to commercial vehicles, however this is one company after MAN which i would love to see on indian roads in numbers.

+1 to Akash, I was impressed by this company's Bus that I had to traveled in when I was in Europe, a lot of comfort, at that time I didn't knew much about Scania. Looks like they are going to give tough competition to Ashok Leyland & TATA trucks in India. I hope with entry of more trucks not just for mining but for transport as well we can surely hope trucking industry will see a big change

Nice news Vishwas,
Scania is a name to trust in Heavy Trucks , Buses and engines. Incidentally VW owns 70.94% and MAN holds 17.37% in Scania AB.

Hope to see Scania products rolling on Indian roads (besides at mines) soon.

Even I had a chance to travel in one of the Scania's buses in Europe, and boy they were marvellous. It is good for Indian CV scene that they are opening up here. Only forward to look now [:)]

Thread Starter #6

Vishwas, thanks for sharing the news.
I am a newbie when it comes to commercial vehicles, however this is one company after MAN which i would love to see on indian roads in numbers.
Even i am new to this scenario,just gaining information.MAN is now becoming famous so will the Scania be,wondering how they would change the game in Era of Volvos

+1 to Akash, I was impressed by this company's Bus that I had to traveled in when I was in Europe, a lot of comfort, at that time I didn't knew much about Scania. Looks like they are going to give tough competition to Ashok Leyland & TATA trucks in India. I hope with entry of more trucks not just for mining but for transport as well we can surely hope trucking industry will see a big change
They will sure serve the purpose well,and these will now give tough competition to AL and Tata.

Nice news Vishwas,
Scania is a name to trust in Heavy Trucks , Buses and engines. Incidentally VW owns 70.94% and MAN holds 17.37% in Scania AB.
Hope to see Scania products rolling on Indian roads (besides at mines) soon.
Thanks for the information you have provided too!Waiting for Buses to hit the roads.

The battle between Scanias and Volvos will be legendary!

Last edited:

The fact is in Europe, roads are far better than ours & I've closely seen running of the bus for the entire journey in Europe, believe me guys the Bus Captain (we shouldn't call them drivers, its an insult) when on highway was driving the bus at constant 100 & using CC & never once having to use his foot on the brake or Accelerator pedal! I've seen a technology where it acts like a hand brake but not necessarily stops the bus, then once he stops applying it the cruise control gets the needle back to 100! idk if this is there in our Volvos here, but definitely such a tech would be very useful.

Yet again training is highly important every tom dick & harry won't be able to drive as skillfully as people might elsewhere. I can say Scania if it launches buses, then it will be a boon for the market which is kind of dominated by Volvo & Mercedes.

Thread Starter #9

The fact is in Europe, roads are far better than ours & I've closely seen running of the bus for the entire journey in Europe, believe me guys the Bus Captain (we shouldn't call them drivers, its an insult) when on highway was driving the bus at constant 100 & using CC & never once having to use his foot on the brake or Accelerator pedal! I've seen a technology where it acts like a hand brake but not necessarily stops the bus, then once he stops applying it the cruise control gets the needle back to 100!
That's called as Retarder,where when the driver(srry captain) needs to slow down the bus he first uses the retarder switch which gradually slows down the engine giving power and then the driver can control the behemoth by brakes it is done because the engine throws power like anything once the turbo kicks in where we can control in cars but Retarder is necessary to the buses.

idk if this is there in our Volvos here, but definitely such a tech would be very useful.
Yes it is present volvos if you observe their varying sounds in the highways while braking then the retarder is working.

the below pic is retarder:
Keao-SH-Serial-Electromegnetic-Retarder.jpg

Yet again training is highly important every tom dick & harry won't be able to drive as skillfully as people might elsewhere. I can say Scania if it launches buses, then it will be a boon for the market which is kind of dominated by Volvo & Mercedes.
If volvos and Mercs are training people to drive the buses then Scania of course will do the same thing.

Re: Scania To Setup their Plant in Karnataka

Scania Commercial Vehicles India holds ground-breaking ceremony

Scania Commercial Vehicles India held the ground-breaking ceremony of its industrial site in Narasapura, Bangalore. Henrik Fagrenius, Managing Director Scania Commercial Vehicles India (SCVI), laid the foundation stone for the new plant. Sivakumar Viswam, Director Sales, Suresh Ekambaram, Director After Sales and Stefan Wiklund, Director Finance were also part of the bhoomi poojan and the ground-breaking ceremony.

The ceremony was held at the manufacturing site in Narasapura (20 km from Hosakote). The new plant will be a completely knocked-down (CKD) assembly unit for truck and bus chassis. Bodybuilding of city buses and coaches is also planned in this facility. It has been specially designed to be in line with global standards of the Scania Group. The ground-breaking ceremony signifies an important landmark for Scania in India, and furthers the commitment of Scania to the country. The CKD plant will be constructed on an area of 35 acres. This facility will assemble trucks and buses for the Indian market and the first rollout is expected in early next year. Over the next one year, Scania plans to invest Rs. 2.5bn in the new production facility. Scania will employ up to 800 people in this facility over the next five years.

Said Henrik Fagrenius, Managing Director, Scania Commercial Vehicles India, “The ground-breaking ceremony signifies an important landmark for Scania in India. We aim to produce and sell 2000 heavy trucks and 1000 intercity buses and coaches per year within the next five years. With this new assembly unit in Bangalore, we are confident of meeting the requirements of our customers.” Scania’s manufacturing facility is aimed to at further boosting the company’s sales and service activities in the country. This will bring in a greater variety of models and also shorten the delivery time for customers. Scania provides high service levels that provide high uptime and low operating cost for customers. Scania’s strategies for India are innovative, offering value through lower total cost of ownership for customers and will bring in the best products and services to the country.

Scania Commercial Vehicles India holds ground-breaking ceremony | WheelsUnplugged

Thread Starter #11

Finally they have started with the base, initially they concentrate to manufacture trucks and then add buses to production, now we'll have another big competitor.

They have been in the sidelines all these year's and now they have woken up to smell the increase in truck sales smell. it will be interesting to see how they will approach our market from now on.

The first domestically assembled Scania trucks will roll out from the Swedish manufacturer’s Indian plant at Narasapura near Bangalore in April 2013. The range will include, in addition to the mining tipper upgraded with Scania’s new 13-litre global platform for Euro III through Euro VI, two on-highway tractor models and two for heavy haulage. These vehicles, of which Scania has imported one unit each for trials, are presently undergoing homologation at ARAI.

The air-suspended 49 tonne 6×2 tractor with liftable tag axle, sharing the tipper’s 12.7 litre six-cylinder inline engine with 410 hp @ 1900rpm and 2,000 Nm of torque @ 1000–1350rpm, and possibly its P-series cabin as well, is intended for hauling chemical and petroleum tankers and heavy containers, segments that are vitally dependent on uptime and an extremely low cost of operation.

A 4×2 tractor targeted at automotive inbound and distribution logistics and cold chain transport, will feature a 360 hp rating of the same engine with 1750 Nm of torque. Even though this model would be stepping into a segment dominated by low-priced, low-powered domestic models, managing director Henrik Fagrenius is convinced there is a market even here for a premium truck that can offer higher average speeds and superior reliability.

At the higher end the range will be rounded off by two heavy-haulage 6×4 tractors, one with a 460 hp rating of the DC13 engine and 2250 Nm of torque for a max gross train weight of 100 tonnes, and a heavier 500 hp version for 150 tonnes powered by the older-generation 15.6 litre V8 engine developing 2400 Nm @ 1100–1350rpm.

In addition to being the first manufacturer to introduce a 49 tonne truck with a fuel-saving 6×2 wheelplan, Scania will also be the first with a bifurcated offering in the ODC segment.

The company has increased its previously announced investment of Rs 1.5 crore in its Regional Product Centre by a crore to include a bus body factory and a service facility. The first fully built two- and three-axle luxury coaches will roll out at the end of 2013, Fagrenius told Autocar Professional. Scania will not, as an official suggested in February this year, work with a bodybuilding partner. The first few coaches imported CBU will go into customer trials in three or four months.

Sales and service for the mining and construction segments will remain with L&T, Scania’s partner for the last five years. L&T will continue to stock fast-moving spares, but Scania’s own parts centre at Narasapura will help the company reduce the lead time for “accident parts”, Fagrenius said.

Moreover, the company will set up its own network of private service dealers to provide “world class service” for its on-highway trucks and buses, backing up its brand promise of industry-leading uptime. It is also working on a localisation plan that Fagrenius was loath to reveal details of. All he did share was that Scania Commercial Vehicles India would have a purchasing director in place “by next week”.

I had a bad experience with a Scannia Bus. We were travelling from Penang to KL in Malaysia to catch our flight back to india when the coach broke down. We had a horrid time as we were stuck on the highway for over an hour & almost missed our flight. We were saved by another Scannia ironically...

Top Bottom