2007 Skoda Octavia for Just Rs. 2.85 lakh? Scam?

Thread Starter #1
Some days ago, while I was going through various sites, the following advt for a second hand car came to my notice-

2007 SKODA OCTAVIA 1.9 TDI, RIDER CLASSIC, BLACK ONLY AT RS 285,000 ONLY - Delhi: Cars in Delhi at Quikr Delhi

The proposal seemed to be too good. A 2007 skoda octavia for just 2.85 lakh with 39000 kms on its meter. I contacted the seller through his mail.

Message: Hi. I am interested in this car. Pl. send me details where to come to check the car. Is it a Karnataka regn?

Soon came the reply-
To: xyz
Sent: Tuesday, 22 November 2011 4:32 PM

Hello, The car is in the best condition, has no technical damage, full service history,life time tax paid,comprehesive insurance, my car have India documents and registration. I worked in India for and I've purchased the car to use it there. My company wanted me back home, so currently I'm in England (United Kingdom). The car it's now located in ENGLAND - United Kingdom, Berkshire. I'm trying to sell it at this price because I don`t use it anymore , it`s a pity to keep such a car and not to use it. UK registration tax is too high ,i can not afford to pay it and i need money urgently to pay my House Bank Credit Debts. I tried to sell the car in United Kingdom, but nobody want`s to buy it because of the high registration tax . I list my car on India websites so i can sell it faster. The price is correct and the car can be transported to any location. My car is already at one Transport company from UK. I paid them to take care for my car sale protection. I can deliver the car to any location,but if is posible for you to come here to have an personal meeting it will be better . Please write me back to discuss only if you are interested! Then we can continue the discussion about the car by phone ,if you want . Regards

Car is in UK? This man took his car to UK? I decided to enquire further and sent him another mail-

Hello.
I will not be able to personally come to UK but can ask one of my friends working there to contact you to check the car. For this, please intimate your address/contact no. Should I assume that price of Rs. 285000 is inclusive of shipping charges. If not, I would need details of shipping charges to be paid.

And the reply to this was like this-

Please read carefully the transaction terms to understand and be able to decide if we continue or not.
I signed an agreement with an car delivery company ,one of the largest and known in Europe and I paid them all the delivery taxes and the delivery insurance because I am interested to sell my car in good conditions .The car is ready to be delivered to the new owner location . This is the only way that we conclude the deal and my only condition in this transaction to use this company because they will secure this deal for us .
The terms in which we can conclude the deal are the following :
- I need your delivery informations ,means name ,delivery address and phone number in order to contact the company to start the transaction.
- You will receive a notification from the transport company as a confirmation that the car is in their custody and also that the car has been tested and verified by their technicians .
- You will have to make a deposit payment to the transport company Bank Account as a guarantee..
- The transport company will verify the payment after they will receive in their Bank Account and if everything is in order they will start the delivery of the car to your location address.
- After you will receive the car and you will be completely satisfied with it, you will confirm to the transport company your decision. You have 10 days to make a total inspection of the car,test drive and take a decision.
- The transport company will take care for all export paper, work documents and they help you to register the car under your name,because i empowered them by a notary to register the car on my behalf.

I will not receive any payment ,first the payment for the car will go into the Shipping Company Bank Account .
The car delivery period to your location will be between 8 - 10 days .
The transport company will keep to them the car payment in their bank account ,until you receive the car and the documents of the car and also until your testing period ends .You will have an full inspection period of 10 days,I think that is enough for you to verify the car .
In this time you can check, test and inspect the car and all the car documents. If by any reason (the car has any hidden damage or it isn't like i describe it) you can reject the deal. In this case the transport company will refund your deposit back in full and they will ship the car back on my cost. The car was verified by the transport company qualified automotive technician and the car have passed all the test with no problems,so I did not worry for the present car condition .
Warmest greetings !

A new method of fraud?

Last edited:
Re: 2007 Skoda Octavia for just Rs. 2.85 lakh?

Car in UK? Trying to sell in India?? Something is fishy. Sounds similar to online lottery fraud.

Absolutely. This is a new kind of fruad and tempt folks to give in their hard earned money.
So, do not go for this deal. Just a attractive offer to take your money.

Just did a google search with the email address and the result seems funny. Check it out:

Attachments

Last edited:

Looks like a new method of fraud.:suspect:

My suggestion- Stay away buddy.

Thread Starter #5

The moment he said that car was in UK I decided to stay away from the deal. Just that I wanted to know how he was going to proceed with this deal, so I sent him further mail. But now I think some people in our country may have fallen into this trap considering so many advts as shown in truecitylover's post.

Good that you never opted for it and also going the extra mile on getting more information. This may be useful for someone.
Yeah may be folks are still getting trapped. But, after few known incidents like the UK lottery and Haiti scam, people are pretty cautious these days IMO. [surprise]

350Z

Core Team

First of all Skoda Octavia isn’t a rare car in India. So such advertisements should be ignored because it’s not really worth the hassle of buying a car which is kept in abroad and moreover that too with a Karnataka registration (I assume you live in Delhi) regardless whether the deal is genuine or not. Just like you, I have been hunting in the second hand market and have come across plenty of similar advertisements (Including that of imported cars). Stay even more alert if the seller is in “Hurry” or wants to sell the car “Urgently” for whatever the reason they claim. I checked the details of this car and some of them appear to be correct though. (Octavia Rider 1.9, Company Leased etc.) Here's a related thread on how to find the info online: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...e-registration-details-accessible-online.html.

Octy Details.png

Drive Safe,
350Z

Scam ,

we even found a super car in a website, boxer for just 2 lac and his reply was same.

New way of buping people.

another one doing rounds , tata xenon , 8 months old car with canopy etc , new one 12L , this one just 4.9L. had any one tried contacting?

Thanks for the info NH 08. This is a scam for sure.
Btw, which idiot can transport car from UK to India in 8 days ?? In customs itself takes about 2 days.

scam alert guys!! stay thousand miles away from these used cars. am only thinking why people cant earn good way?? they always want to make quick buck from somones hard earned money!! [frustration]

The Same i tried and look at the mail below by the person

Hi,
I am sorry to say you that but for the moment mail is my only way of communication.Please read carefully my mail so you can understand how it’s work.
The car is registered in India. As I told you in my first mail the car it’s sealed in a truck to a shipping company ready to be delivered to you.
The car comes with the following:
1.Registration Certificate 2.No Objection Certificate 4.Insurance Certificate 5.Pollution Under Control Certificate 6.Tax Payment 7.Sale Letter sign by me.You can register the car on your name with no problem.
The total amount you’ll have to pay it’s Rs.101,000, with no other taxes or hidden cost, also the shipping is included in this price.
After you’ll receive the car you will have 10 days to inspect to test drive and to decide if you want to buy the car or not. If you aren’t satisfied with the car you will announce eBay and you will receive your money back entirely and the shipping company will come and take the car back.
The payment will be made through eBay. I’m under Contract with eBay which states that we can close the deal using their service.Very important, only after you test the car and , eBay will release the money to me.
The money will be sent per eBay instruction and you will give the payment details only to eBay. They will verify the payment and when the money are confirmed they will notify me to proceed with the shipping process. After you receive and see that the car is the one you want, you just notify eBay to give me the money.
In order to start the deal I need YOUR FULL NAME, SHIPPING ADDRESS and your CONTACT NUMBER so I can register the transaction with eBay. They will let you know what you have to do for the payment.

I am still in touch with them and wants to go see the ending part of it except transfer of money......

You are taking a risk and wasting your time. Either inside you are considering against the odd and hoping that it will end up good for you or again wasting your time [;)]

Top Bottom