Sedans v/s SUVs - Your Personal Pick?

Sedan or SUV

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,

Several vehicles are now being launched, which also include considerable number of SUVs, be it XUV 500, upcoming Merlin-Safari or even the workhorse, Land Rover. On other hand, we now have Merc S Class, CLS, AMGs; the Audi with A6, A7, A8 & also affordable sedans like Manza, Sunny on other hand.

What I have seen is most of the people owning premium SUVs like Audi Q7 hardly do any off-road or to that extent even Fortuner guys too. This makes me think why people buy SUVs ?? If for road presence, then it has road presence due to its truck like design & not aesthetics like in case of saloons. A Ford Fortuner looks like a truck while Honda Accord, VW Passat gives more sophisticated & rich feel.

For Sedan/Saloon:-

• Offers far more superior handling,
  • Ride quality is great,
  • Comfort level is very good,
  • No bumpy rides, no wobbling either,
  • Good for cruising & for higher speeds,
  • Offers more safety,
  • Less body roll, more comfort for rear passengers,
  • Better fuel efficiency,
  • Nice boot, so ample of storage space available for luggage,
  • Is more classy,
  • The list goes on.........

For MUV/SUVs:-

• Good for off-roading,
  • More seating capacity,
  • Feels like a truck....some people like this,
  • Good for bullying smaller vehicles like rickshaws....some people buy for this reason,
  • You are a type of person who likes to shout that you have arrived, no matter whether others are interested in knowing about it or not.

Besides this, I have found that ladies prefer cars as they look neat. Also, ingress & egress from car is far more comfortable than UVs. In cases like Santa Fe, one literally has to jump from the seat to get down [frustration]. This is bad for ladies too.

Personally, I prefer sedans/saloons. Ever seen James Bond driving an UV ? [:D]
Let me know what you all think about this, are you a Saloon type or UV type ?

Last edited:
Re: Sedan/Saloon or MUV/SUV

I like SUVs.

But your initial post & poll shows strong bias towards sedans & negative opinions for SUVs. You have used words like mini trucks, bullying others, shouting, etc. which is not necessarily true.

When I used to drive the Scorpio, I agree I get more respect on the road (you call that bullying) when compared to my Punto or Innova but yes, even I have been bullied, sometimes by swifts, lancers, even autorickshaws.

So? Should I stereotype all sedan & hatch owners as insane or wannabes or plain stupids?

Senseless thread, so not voting. [frustration]

SUV as it offers

Good for off-roading,
More seating capacity,
Feels like a truck....some people like this,
Good for bullying smaller vehicles like rickshaws....some people buy for this reason,
You are a type of person who likes to shout that you have arrived, no matter whether others are interested in knowing about it or not.

And also

Offers good handling,
Ride quality is also great,
Comfort level is very very good,
Very Good for cruising & for higher speeds,
Offers safety,
Less body roll, more comfort second row passengers,
Decent fuel efficiency,
Boot For luggage,
Is more Monstrous
The list goes on.........

350Z

Core Team

Simply put, it all depends on the buyers and their requirements. There are several things which a sports utility vehicle can do and sedans can only dream about it. Similarly, the sedans also have some capabilities over utility vehicles. We can argue pages long on this topic but no definite conclusion can be achieved since it’s like asking whether you want to sacrifice your hands or legs, because we know that both are useful and important on their own places.

A Ford Fortuner looks like a truck while Honda Accord, VW Passat gives more sophisticated & rich feel.
Did you mean Toyota Fortuner?

• Ride quality is great,
  • Comfort level is very good,
  • Good for cruising & for higher speeds,
  • Offers more safety
SUVs do not lack these features either. Infact, they are claimed to be much more safer than sedans / hatchbacks.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I prefer SUV's over Sedans from what i know(Am discussing my views only).
-It feels high positioned where you can avoid larger potholes seen at a distance.
-It is very utilitarian where you can take all your luggage and more of knick knacks
-Can take more people when you go for trips and legroom is better in some of the SUVs
-Best suited for an individual who stays in hilly areas
-Can tackle any type of roads,where a Sedan cant do because of the Low GC.
-And yes i like to bully those Auto wallas and you should see their expression when tackling them and the autowallas deserve that in Bangalore.
-Sedan feels boring after a long usage and feels dated when you have it for a longer period of time.

Thread Starter #7
I like SUVs.

But your initial post & poll shows strong bias towards sedans & negative opinions for SUVs. You have used words like mini trucks, bullying others, shouting, etc. which is not necessarily true.

When I used to drive the Scorpio, I agree I get more respect on the road (you call that bullying) when compared to my Punto or Innova but yes, even I have been bullied, sometimes by swifts, lancers, even autorickshaws.

So? Should I stereotype all sedan & hatch owners as insane or wannabes or plain stupids?

Senseless thread, so not voting. [frustration]
Raj,

Why get angry, my friend ? You could have simply given 10 reasons which makes UV better vehicle, so simple ? We agree to disagree, right ?

You are in Mumbai, I suggest you to come to Pune for atleast a week & observe the type of people who drive Scorpio & Fortuner here. Most of them are goons or politicos of NCP. Infact, one goon turned NCP Youth President was shot dead in his Scorpio !!

Fact is in Pune, 90% of Scorpio/Fortuner are owned by Gunthamantris & hence don't command respect. The situation in Mumbai maybe different.

Did you mean Toyota Fortuner?

SUVs do not lack these features either. Infact, they are claimed to be much more safer than sedans / hatchbacks.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Oh, I goofed up. I meant Ford Endevour.
Coming to safety issue, why is it that at high speeds, SUVs can't be precisely controlled like cars ? Also, the likely hood of SUVs turning turtle is more than car, right ?

I prefer SUV's over Sedans from what i know(Am discussing my views only).
-It feels high positioned where you can avoid larger potholes seen at a distance.
-It is very utilitarian where you can take all your luggage and more of knick knacks
-Can take more people when you go for trips and legroom is better in some of the SUVs
-Best suited for an individual who stays in hilly areas
-Can tackle any type of roads,where a Sedan cant do because of the Low GC.
-And yes i like to bully those Auto wallas and you should see their expression when tackling them and the autowallas deserve that in Bangalore.
-Sedan feels boring after a long usage and feels dated when you have it for a longer period of time.
Vishwas,

Appreciate your inputs. This is what I was expecting for....the pros & cons.
Btw, you said that for trips it can carry people & luggage. Though people part is right, there is hardly any space for luggage buddy, when 6-7 people are seated.

SUV as it offers

And also

Offers good handling,
Ride quality is also great,
Comfort level is very very good,
Very Good for cruising & for higher speeds,
Offers safety,
Less body roll, more comfort second row passengers,
Decent fuel efficiency,
Boot For luggage,
Is more Monstrous
The list goes on.........
My bro had come from Nagpur to Pune in Scorpio & he had severe backache for next 2 days. He went back by Volvo bus (no flight available that day) [lol].
Btw, he was seated in 2nd row & the scorpio was just 7 month old.

Next, I traveled in Innova from Pune to Shirdi, was seating in 3rd row & by the time we reached Smile Stone motel at Supa, near Nagar, my legs were completely cramped. Took good 3-4 mins to get down [thumbsdown].

I also traveled from Nagpur to Wardha in Endevour & I felt as if sitting in a boat. fortunately, came back to Nagpur in Honda Accord (asked my bro to swap cars & he too had disastrous time in Endevour), what a relief it was.

It is therefore that I prefer car over UV. However, the good part of UV is while traveling on bad roads, it is far better than car but then, how many times we travel on bad roads then ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Well let start like this we were 7 people,we had MS Versa 5 seater where we added two side facing seats at the cargo area we kept all the luggage and closed it with a mattress and Voila it became a bed for 2! we had a great time sleeping there.
Have a look at the Venture's Boot Space it can carry most of the lugguages while touring!
This made me better and satisfied:

Attachments

Thread Starter #9

Hey Vishwas,

Please don't club van/maxi-vans with UVs. Also, Versa can't be called SUV either, it is simply 3 row passenger car.

Lets make it Simple- Based on the user trends I will talk about SUV or a sedan
(Exclude Innova )
Most professionals like Doctors, CA's, OR MD, VP's CEO's prefer to use classy sedans instead of SUV's. Why? well every one is concerned about his Image , IMO SUV's make it loud and not sober.(Notice all 3,5,7 star hotels mostly they use classy sedan as most of their guest are Professionals and ethical Businessmen.
Again These cars are going to be used on city roads or highways, as these people wont go for off roading.

Now the users of SUV's
All politicians, even the local branch head of any party will go for Scorpio or similar SUV, all builders, people who run bushiness related to real estate- like agents , suppliers, landlords etc will always use SUV(Even Gangsters). Again it is directly related to showing their personality- they always want to give the Loud look and they want to get noticed.
Another reason is they can use these vehicles on any type of road, and they are safe.

Ultimately It depends on your profession and your need to choose between SUV or Sedan, Technology- Comfort or Driveabilty wise I don't think that there is any technological drawback in both of them.
Though there are always exceptions to this, and we have many examples here on TAI!

Hey Vishwas,

Please don't club van/maxi-vans with UVs. Also, Versa can't be called SUV either, it is simply 3 row passenger car.
But those have proved way better than the SUV's MUV's in giving comfort to all passengers,i mean this works with Indians!

Thread Starter #12

Lets make it Simple- Based on the user trends I will talk about SUV or a sedan
(Exclude Innova )
Most professionals like Doctors, CA's, OR MD, VP's CEO's prefer to use classy sedans instead of SUV's. Why? well every one is concerned about his Image , IMO SUV's make it loud and not sober.(Notice all 3,5,7 star hotels mostly they use classy sedan as most of their guest are Professionals and ethical Businessmen.
Again These cars are going to be used on city roads or highways, as these people wont go for off roading.

Now the users of SUV's
All politicians, even the local branch head of any party will go for Scorpio or similar SUV, all builders, people who run bushiness related to real estate- like agents , suppliers, landlords etc will always use SUV(Even Gangsters). Again it is directly related to showing their personality- they always want to give the Loud look and they want to get noticed.
Another reason is they can use these vehicles on any type of road, and they are safe.

Ultimately It depends on your profession and your need to choose between SUV or Sedan, Technology- Comfort or Driveabilty wise I don't think that there is any technological drawback in both of them.
Though there are always exceptions to this, and we have many examples here on TAI!
Very well said. It is precisely this reason I made the above comments.

But those have proved way better than the SUV's MUV's in giving comfort to all passengers,i mean this works with Indians!
Yes, but look wise, it is no-no in most cases. Anyways, you can even add the Tata Winger Deluxe 9 seater model in this coz that too is quite comfortable with 2x1 seating.

Raj,

Why get angry, my friend ? You could have simply given 10 reasons which makes UV better vehicle, so simple ? We agree to disagree, right ?

You are in Mumbai, I suggest you to come to Pune for atleast a week & observe the type of people who drive Scorpio & Fortuner here. Most of them are goons or politicos of NCP. Infact, one goon turned NCP Youth President was shot dead in his Scorpio !!

Fact is in Pune, 90% of Scorpio/Fortuner are owned by Gunthamantris & hence don't command respect. The situation in Mumbai maybe different.
I am not angry buddy. I can easily give you 10 reason which makes an SUV better, I can even give you 10 reasons which makes a sedan better.

Each has it pros & cons & we select one based on our needs & likings. But stereotyping all SUV owners as goons is something i dislike.

When I am in an SUV, I get an all round view since I am seated so high, I dont get bullied by cabs & ricks easily, I dont need to crawl over speed breakers or big potholes & there are many reasons why I like an SUV. Like others, even I find an SUV far more comfortable than a sedan.

But then does that make me an arrogant lad or a goon or a bad politician?

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Tata Aria vs Toyota Innova!

It depends upon the psyche of the person. What I feel is SUVs are preferred by those who want to scream & show to the people how big I am, you know those typical show-offs types.....just like those who carry blackberry handset without a data plan .
Big saloons are used by those who already know what the real thing is & are least bothered about telling what the world says about them.

Eg. Look at any corporate honcho, he will be having some big saloon (I haven't personally seen any big shot corporate guy getting down from SUV) but on other hand, it is the politicians or rather these khadi clad gunthamantri who got rich by selling land to builders who use vehicles like Fortuner, scorpio etc.

In Pune, 90+% of fortuner, scorpios are owned by someone either being a gunthamantri or some local neta who needs to carry around 4-5 chamchas with him .
:mad: what do you mean . you mean ALL SUV owner buy just to showoff or scream . There are people like us who buy it just because we like it as well as SUV are tough so better for our work which require lot of bad roads travelling where normal sedan would start rattling and lot of damage(means lot of money spend)

One more thing i didn't brought safari by selling land but by hard earned money and don't forget loan.

BTW i drive alone with machine parts not chamchas[lol]

what do you mean . you mean ALL SUV owner buy just to showoff or scream . There are people like us who buy it just because we like it as well as SUV are tough so better for our work which require lot of bad roads travelling where normal sedan would start rattling and lot of damage(means lot of money spend)

One more thing i didn't brought safari by selling land but by hard earned money and don't forget loan
BTW i drive alone with machine parts not chamchas
True buddy,If you go to hill stations you can only see Tata Sumos and Mahindra's Maxx because they are well off to be in that places,he is just distracting From Suv's to Sedans just to support them.

Yes, but look wise, it is no-no in most cases. Anyways, you can even add the Tata Winger Deluxe 9 seater model in this coz that too is quite comfortable with 2x1 seating.
Then request the Mods to add Vans also in these category so that we can have this thread updated frequently without starting a new one.
Have a look at the Platinum version Of the Winger,they offer best space with armrests.

Each has it pros & cons & we select one based on our needs & likings. But stereotyping all SUV owners as goons is something i dislike.

When I am in an SUV, I get an all round view since I am seated so high, I dont get bullied by cabs & ricks easily, I dont need to crawl over speed breakers or big potholes & there are many reasons why I like an SUV. Like others, even I find an SUV far more comfortable than a sedan.

But then does that make me an arrogant lad or a goon or a bad politician?
+1 to that Raj.Suv's are owned for a useful purpose as you mentioned and which suits our country's real needs,whereas The Sedans are now coming to be famous in cities thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom