Mahindra XUV500 vs Tata Aria vs Toyota Innova!

Your choice?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Guys, I have made a small but comprehensive comparo between the newly launched Mahindra XUV500 with the Tata Aria & Toyota Innova.

Points to note:

1) All variants are top end. Innova top end can be compared with XUV W8 2wd & Aria Prestige 4x2. XUV500 W8 AWD can be compared with Aria Pride 4x4.

2) All details are collected from their respective websites.

3) Ex-showroom delhi price of Aria was unavailable, hence mumbai pricing was taken. So please assume Aria's pricing to be 30-40k cheaper when compared.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Re: XUV500 vs ARIA vs INNOVA!

Good job, Raj. That’s a much needed comparison which some of must have been looking for. Needless to say, XUV presently looks to be the most value for money vehicle in the class and offers some of the segment first features too. How about including a poll to this thread?

Drive Safe,
350Z

@Raj, Thanks for the comparison. This gives a clear indication how these vehicles stand against each other. Innova scores low on power and torque when pitted against Aria and XUV 500 !!

As value for money the XUV is, there are few points I would like to make about Aria VS XUV:

1/ Aria is wider and longer than XUV , also it's wheelbase is about 150 mm more than the xuv.It translates into overall better cabin space on all three rows than the xuv,also note that ARIA has substantial boot even with all rows up, which is a great feature because if you are travelling in XUV with 7 people on board than you are forced to keep your boot at the roof,which is not a nice thing in a 15 lk vehicle,IMO.

2/ I told all XUV fans at the top of the time even before it's launch that "it won't have the charm of ARIA",and now the world can see what I was talking about, so when it comes to look ARIA=10
XUV=8

3/Aria is based upon ladder chassis , now how is that a advantage you may wonder, hey metro people come out of your super smooth flyovers and venture to real INDIA and there you will need a rugged chassis and on this front ARIA delivers big time.

4/ Now lets talk about interiors shall we, indeed XUV has got good looking dashboard with futuristic central console and 'blingy' instrument console, but Aria's dash feels a notch above in quality and impresses in its "simplicity".

5/ Machoness , this is where XUV will have a huge advantage over Aria , it will terrorize auto,ricks, small pick ups, hatchbacks like no other.

End conclusion, at the moment with fully loaded model coming at abt 14 lks on road, if you can live with the looks the best uv under 20 lacks keeping all accounts in mind is MAHINDRA XUV.It even beats Fortuner dead when comes to the overall package, now for TATA lovers like me all hopes on MERLIN (hope it delivers,amen).

Thread Starter #9
Thanks a lot friends.

As value for money the XUV is, there are few points I would like to make about Aria VS XUV:

1/ Aria is wider and longer than XUV , also it's wheelbase is about 150 mm more than the xuv.It translates into overall better cabin space on all three rows than the xuv,also note that ARIA has substantial boot even with all rows up, which is a great feature because if you are travelling in XUV with 7 people on board than you are forced to keep your boot at the roof,which is not a nice thing in a 15 lk vehicle,IMO.
Yes, I agree. Aria is definitely bigger. But all that size translates into just good boot. I wish the third row was more usable like in Innova.

2/ I told all XUV fans at the top of the time even before it's launch that "it won't have the charm of ARIA",and now the world can see what I was talking about, so when it comes to look ARIA=10
XUV=8
Yes, Aria looks elegant & classy. XUV's styling is too in-your-face & lacks the charm. But who knows, maybe in flesh, it maybe a stunner.

3/Aria is based upon ladder chassis , now how is that a advantage you may wonder, hey metro people come out of your super smooth flyovers and venture to real INDIA and there you will need a rugged chassis and on this front ARIA delivers big time.
GOSH! so do you mean all monocoque constructions are not rigid? Modern day mono chassis is more rigid & durable than the ancient ladder on frame. Mono chassis helps in ride comfort, stability, handling & SAFETY. So its mono over LOF anyday.

4/ Now lets talk about interiors shall we, indeed XUV has got good looking dashboard with futuristic central console and 'blingy' instrument console, but Aria's dash feels a notch above in quality and impresses in its "simplicity".
I disagree. I can understand about the exteriors, but the interiors of the XUV is way better than Aria, in terms of looks, luxury & features.

5/ Machoness , this is where XUV will have a huge advantage over Aria , it will terrorize auto,ricks, small pick ups, hatchbacks like no other.
Like every Mahindra!

now for TATA lovers like me all hopes on MERLIN (hope it delivers,amen).
Just hope TATA has learnt their lesson & prices the Merlin atleast a lakh lesser than the XUV, else it will be a FLOP show yet again.

GOSH! so do you mean all monocoque constructions are not rigid? Modern day mono chassis is more rigid & durable than the ancient ladder on frame. Mono chassis helps in ride comfort, stability, handling & SAFETY. So its mono over LOF anyday.
I think LOF is more consistent than monocoque from my experience.

Monocoque joints are mostly spot welded which give up in short while .

Here in abroad I am driving monocoque toyota hylux 1year old ,it rattles ,squeaks, cries.

as well as LOF (Toyota land cruiser fjd)is 5years old no rattles. jut pin drop silence in cabin.
please note both are utility vehicles not a luxury saloons.

I would have voted for Aria if XUV would have been priced exactly in the same range as Aria. Even before price of XUV was revealed many people (including me [;)]) were looking out for the negatives of it & highlighting them. Even the name XUV-5OO was criticized.
But once the amazing prices were revealed, the game changed completely. With almost 3-4L less than Aria, XUV takes all the praises. [clap]

Thread Starter #12
SIRISH CHANDRAN's review after driving the XUV500 - (Source: Facebook!)

* First impressions of XUV after a full day driving - FAR FAR better than anything Mahindra has ever made. Nearly car-like!

* XUV doesn't have unnerving top heavy stance of Scorpio. Sit within the car, great ergonomics, comfy seats, good driving position.

* Engine decently quick but massively torquey - there's even some torque steer (something I never thought I'd say of a Mahindra!)

* 6 speed gearbox not very slick, needs more effort than what should be necessary.

* Lovely ride & feels robust enough to not require slowing down for anything. Stable at speed - and it gets to around 160kmph.

* Handles decently. Fair bit of body roll & tyres squeal like crazy but grips well. Halfway bet car & SUV. Steering not totally lifeless.

* Disc brakes on all four wheels but noticed brake fade. Will be testing it rigorously today to draw definitive conclusion.

* Interior quality patchy but for this price and what XUV delivers Mahindra have done a terrific job.

Phew!. I guess Mahindra Motor finally listened to the voice of the people and toned down the styling of the XUV500. Nice job overall, though i've yet to see the car in the flesh.

IMO, the best feature right now is the price. This is where they can attract lots of attention and prospective customers. I am sure it will have lots of niggles but M&M is known for that. Regardless it is the top seller in Indian Market. All in all it looks meaty and SUV LIKE and not a rural offloader having hinges visible on the door!
Anyway Thats a great comparo Raj. Good job there [thumbsup]

PS - My wifey has fallen in love with the beast and egging me to get one. Only if wishes were money...[pig]

Last edited:
well great comparision @ raj_5004..but force one is main contender and you have left it. plz add that also if possible and mods add it to poll also!! [clap]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom