I think cost cutting stuff should be seen segment wise. Not giving air-bags in alto can't be called as cost cutting but no temp indicator is.
Similarly, when Vento didn't give steering mounted controls, it was indeed a cost cutting.
Some cost cutting :-
* In Nissan Micra, the logo is embossed in the steering wheel. How much does it cost to put good monogram on steering like Sunny ?
* Swift giving Zxi with non-alloy spare wheel,
* Several Chevy cars including mid segment ones like Optras have controls like LHD, be it wipers or indicators,
* Such LHD cars horrible part is even the hand-brake lever is towards co-driver side.....maybe it has been given so that if driver falls asleep, the passenger next to him can stop car using hand brake,
* Single reverse light. Some have arrangement on other side too but you need to buy a bulb at additional cost
* Giving power window switches in same place rather than on door handles. Older indicas & santro XS had this,
* Providing semi-wheel cover !! Hell, either you provide full wheel cover or don't provide it at all, why semi ?
* No spare wheel like in case of BMW. Merc provides it,
* Internally manual adjustable ORVM. Electric feature can be given in higher models but still sticking out hand to adjust mirror is just so dumb
* Rear defogger is missing in several models, not even in higher models. In rains, it is very useful feature,
* No rear wiper even in high end models in case of hatchbacks. In rains, the cars' own water from tyres fall on it, so rear wiper is a must,
* USB out is absent in company fitted audio systems,
* Headlight alignment feature is not there in may cars,
* Cheap quality stickers on cars outer body...why use stickers ?? Even Honda Unicorn,a bike comes with plastic monogram,
* No adjustable headrests. It was there is Santro XS models but absent in i10,
* Fuel cap & boot still needs to be opened with key in some models, remids me of fiat padmini & amby,
* Fog lights are absent even in base models of C segment like Rapid,
* The door rub rims/rails are available in high end models of C segment. Eg. Honda City Exi didn't had this, Gxi had one !!
* Lower end models come with black grills, high end comes with chrome plated !! Same is the case with door handles - black/body colored/chrome plated.
I will not talk about Toyota Etios as even the TVS Rickshaw feels more well built than Etios. Etios is more like a scooter with side car & a roof.
What I feel is in sub 10L, Tata gives the most VFM
product & in general, the least VFM
is given by Toyota (even XUV 500 beats Innova hands down) & so does Cruze with Altis. Camry has already dissappeared & Fortuner will also be a thing of past.