Test drove the Asta 1.4 Crdi today so here are my views -
- The white has changed from previous i20 its more off white or mild creamish maybe to make the scratches less visible i guess(not as creamish as the Chevy U-va).
- Car did not have DRL as i had previously imagined thanks to an old pic.
-The electronic folding mirrors are activated by a button on the driver door,i feel its a bit delicate for constant use over the years,the car does not require to be on/ignition to retract mirrors.
-The reverse cam is located right below the emblem on the rear hatch & provides a decent view,video is shown on the left half of the center mirror with yellow bars for guidance.
-The center mirror has light sensor like on most cell phones which detect car headlights through the rear windscreen & dim itself for night mode
-The steering mounted controls for stereo do hamper using the horn properly as horn becomes centrally located,but i got used to it after 2 min of driving so no prob there.
- The sway effect thanks to its long wheel base is realized when you take it crossways over wide speed breakers,its something like what one experiences in the Innova but not that bad as it is not a tall car,this is what many mean by weird handling for example when you hit storm drains which dip at high speed.
- In the previous i20 steering could be adjusted up & downwards where as in the new one it can be moved in & out also(Sportz & Asta).
- The instrument stays illuminated all the time like the Honda Accord/civic but i think this is only on Asta(not sure)
- The driver seat arm rest on the Asta variant is a joke,mite as well get a custom center arm rest done.
- Seats are very firm but they tend to soften over time but not much,so mite as well invest in a good seat cover to soften things up a bit.
- The car does not wake up if your on the lower end of the revs in 2nd gear for atleast 2 sec which is quite bad,but the test drive car had 500 odd on clock so engine mite need some time to settle in as i had not faced this in the 5 speed diesel i20 which a friend has.
- Audio system is decent not great or anything,but it was playing FM radio so with usb it mite get better,did not try the Bluetooth so no comment on that.
- Steering feedback is decent not heavy like one would feel in the Fluidic Verna.
- Rear seat space is not super but decent so with the driver seat moved back for a 6 foot another 6 foot person can manage at the back without putting the knew through the back rest.
- Boot space is comparable to the new notchback Dzire & can be increased if one removes the parcel tray.
- As for the previous steering noise issue which owners faced i do not know if they have rectified this.
- Climate control Ac has something called cluster ionizer which disinfects the air to prevent fungal growth etc in the ac system.
- You can cruise at 60km/hr at 1850 rpm in 4th gear & looks like the gear most would settle on a decent drive.
- When you activate the Defogger this also activates heater on the exterior side mirrors.
- Glove box is well planned & deep,the glovebox door innards has a cavity so you can keep extra things & has a cooling vent so it stays cool when you use the ac.
- There are lot of other random storage spaces & center dashboard console has space for two sunglasses,so not very big.
- You cannot keep anything under the front seats(not much gap) as they have ac vents to aid cooling the rear.
- Automatic rain sensing wipers seem to be a luxurious touch & most welcome,the sensors are located where the center mirror makes contact with the windshield.
- Gear Shift indicator was not much noticeable so i dont know how many would make use of this.
- 14inch alloy wheels looks decent but can look like hubcaps sometimes so not visually appealing,i did not like the choice of Apollo tires on the car but i guess the tire size is meant to provide decent grip with good comfort.
- Asta variant has Smart key with push button start which you need to press clutch & button to start like Chevy Cruz LTZ,whereas Magna(o) & Sportz have foldable key with remote locking.
Overall should say an all-round car with space/quality/power/mileage/safety but not for the enthusiastic driver that wants to feel like the car is in sync,as for mileage i will give you the figures of the 5 speed diesel which i have experience with so 12-14 in the city with ac & 15-18 kmpl for high way(remember fuel economy figures depend on ones driving),so this a hatch which has all the stepping stone luxuries for the Indian consumer.
All the views mentioned are my own,so dont 100 % take my word for it,end of the day only you can choose the right car for you & your Family
, so take a test drive atleast before you decide,hope you enjoyed reading my brief review !