Car Bursts Into Flames on Delhi Road (16 Jun 2011)

Thread Starter #1
"A Fiat Palio car exploded into flames at 1 pm on one of Delhi's busiest roads. The accident took place on Ring Road near Pragati Maidan outside IP power station. Eyewitnesses say that the driver leapt out of the car when the fire began, and ran away. Traffic police then summoned firefighters. Nobody was injured. The cause of the fire has not been determined" Source: NDTV

Guys any update on this? luckily no one was injured.

Attachments

AMG

Suspended
Re: Car bursts into flames on Delhi road (16Jun2011)

Can anyone tell me what is so special in the news that it warrants a new thread?

And why hasnt it been merged with the accidents thread?

WTH how can such a thing happen , it must have been a nightmare for the driver!

Thread Starter #4

it must have been a nightmare for the driver!
Exactly !

Only time will reveal the details and cause of the fire which might act as a useful info / warning to many of the motorheads here!

if a nano catches fire, there is so much drama. when a palio catches fire, nothing much. sad.

When a nano catches flames, it will hit the news market just like the same flame and reduce the sales. Now, who cares about Palio these days - Please excuse me palio owners (If any)?
Good to know that there was no injury. BTW, any idea on how it happened?

Not one of eight fire hydrants work, man dies in burning car

A 32-year-old man was charred to death inside his Honda Civic after its engine caught fire and the central locking system jammed the doors, trapping Rajesh Kumar Misra inside the vehicle.

Misra died of 100 per cent burns, despite the fact that the 200-metre-long Indira Gandhi International Airport underpass has eight fire fighting devices along each carriageway.

But on Sunday, at 5.45 pm when the car went up in flames, none of the equipment was working.

Misra remained trapped inside the burning car for 20 minutes and his cries for help drew the attention of passersby and the guard on duty, who tried to use the fire fighting equipment to save Misra's life.

The guard pulled out the pipe attached to the fire fighting device, but found that there was no water pressure.

An eyewitness said, "The engine of that car caught fire and it went up in flames in no time. We could hear the occupant shouting for help. He was trapped inside as the doors jammed due to the central locking system. My brother and I tried to pull out the pipe from the device installed in the underpass to put out the fire, but we did not know how to operate it. The guard who was posted also came running and opened the lever, but there was no water pressure. None of the devices were working."

The underpass has three water pumps, which supply water to 16 fire fighting devices — eight on each carriageway. But none is operational. The fire hydrants lack a notice informing about directions on how to use the fire fighting device. This makes it difficult for a layman to use the equipment in an emergency situation.

When contacted, Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL), the agency that maintains the underpass, shifted the blame to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), the contracting agency that constructed the underpass.

Not one of eight fire hydrants work, man dies in burning car - Indian Express

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
just keep on blaming the other departments [frustration]if the person was a foreigner then only the govt will step in and take responsibility.
So sad to read this.

So much for the international airport safety standards, it's disgusting to read such stories, it seems like nobody values a human life anymore.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i was just about to add this point. In india there's no value for human life.
And if dial is the maintaining agency then how can they shift the blame to dmrc. And if they found some problem why didn't they report it [anger]

I have a doubt here friends, if the doors are jammed, he can still roll down the windows or break one them to come out[surprise]. I understand the panic situation well, but if some body want to escape will try all those methods to come out. I strongly feel keeping a small hammer in the car always helps

Top Bottom