30 Least Selling Cars in India 2017!

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: 30 least selling cars in India 2017 !

That's quite accurate stats in my view as far as TML is concerned but just 1 difference of opinion i.e Tata Safari. Safari is a old and trusted workhorse for TML and I am sure the owners here in TAI would agree. Even before this Fortuner and Endeavour Saga began in India, Safari was the original symbol of power and presence on the roads. Yes, over the years it has become old with regards to features and technology but for me, the sheer sight of Safari still attracts me. Apart from that the low numbers in 2017 were due to the following facts in my view:

1) Diesel engine ban

2) GST Impact

3) Talks of the new Land Rover Platform based new generation Safari launch in 2018.

4) Hexa has better features than a Safari. Though sales wise Hexa hovers around 1000-1500 units each month but value wise, Hexa offers more than a Safari in present.

Thanks for giving us an evening dose of sales figures[:)] Nice share!

Regards

Akash

Got to disagree with quite a few of their analysis.

A lot of D segment cars are doing good for their segment. Those numbers are not poor and unlike many, I don't think the D segment is going to die anytime soon. There is still a clear distinction between C segment and D segment cars.

Some of the full blooded SUVs too have good numbers. In fact, the Fortuner is an outlier with its insane sales.

Last edited:

Great Stats[thumbsup]
Strange to see 11 Sedans in the list,likes of Elantra and Corolla,
is the segment really going down due to Compact Suv's and SUV's!

Thanks @Insane Turbo for this excellent catch.

Why is Gypsy in this list of least selling cars?, when it showed a stupendous growth of 153%, or am I missing something.

Regards
Vinod

kkn13

Suspended

I personally dont think "least selling" cars should be worrysome for buyers if the brand has other cars that sell well
I owned 2nd gen (3rd gen worldwide) CRV, 2nd gen Superb and now 2nd gen (3rd gen worldwide) Tucson
I never faced issues with regards to parts with my CRV despite being a low seller, in fact Honda actually shipped some major parts from Japan in 9th year of ownership within a month of a large rock hitting differential of the car
With the Superb too, I didnt face any extra issues for parts than the usual Skoda related issues
Hence I took the plunge on Tucson knowing Hyundai is the 2nd biggest manufacturer after Maruti in India and that they will fully support my car in future even if they discontinue it in India years later

I also own a Chevrolet and this is one case wherein Id say avoid brands with dwindling sales lest they leave India completely leaving you without support, resale etc

I feel theres a lot of scope for brands like Tata, Mahindra to catch up to the competition given security when you buy their cars given they technically cant/wont leave India unless something really huge happens (Like VAG level scam)

As for the list calling Tucson overpriced, its definitely not overpriced
Name any other 185bhp,420Nm diesel Crossover SUV which is as refined , fuss free ASC, no compromise on features, can seat 5 in utter comfort, HAS a full size alloy spare tyre with proper wheel well and built like a tank like a German . Not everyone wants a hulking full size SUV (Endeavour,Fortuner) with body roll especially in a city like Mumbai , so that comparison is unfair.

Competition-
X1 is a hatch and is nearly 25-40% more than Tucson price , lacks features even basic ones compared to Tucson, AISIN gearbox is no ZF8 (like X3) , poor space saver spare tyre, barely seats 4 in comfort

Q3 is another tiny hatch on stilts with no features, poor pricing, DSG is unreliable, poor ASC, poor space saver spare tyre

GLA lacks engine punch, poor cabin, no spare tyre well, space saver tyre takes up the full boot space

Compass isnt as powerful as Tucson , cabin room is comfy for 4 only , rear headroom is poor but all factors considered, its a good car for the price and segment . Doesnt compete with Tucson directly

Tiguan lacks engine punch(only 140bhp), DSG is unreliable, cabin isnt as comfy as Tucson, poor ASC, costs alot more than Tucson and the base Comfortline costing 4L more than Tucson doesnt even come with reverse camera etc (All Tucson variants come with these features standard except GLS top end gets electric parking brake, LED headlamps and tail lamps whereas other variants get projector headlamps)

Kodiaq lacks engine punch (140bhp), DSG is unreliable , 3rd row of seats is unusable, costs 12L more than Tucson, too big for Mumbai

Last edited:

Top Bottom